Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for opinions about lifting an Outback just for looks

I've been wanting to make my OB different from every other one on the road. So far, everything mechanical is stock. All that's done is tinted tail lights, plasti dipped wheels, red mud flaps, and HID headlight/LED fog light. Looking to do something other then visual mods. Was thinking about lowering it, and eventually air bagging/stancing, but figured that'd be too hardcore for me since I still need it to be practical for daily use. Thinking about going for a "rugged" look now.

Here's how it currently sits:
https://flic.kr/p/YBh4cM

Are there any disadvantages with lifting an Outback? I'm mostly worried about reliability(since it'll void warranty), fuel economy, accelerated wear with steering rack/differentials/wheel bearings/brakes with bigger wheels.

Do lift kits really make a noticeable reduction in the longevity of these components? I do take my OB down trails sometimes. The approach/breakover/departure of the OB sucks, and the lift would probably help out. But do the disadvantages outweigh the advantages? Is the 2.5 underpowered for bigger wheels?

The other option would be to stay on stock suspension and one up on the tire size with BFG KO2s once these OE tires go bald, possibly even different rims.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,274 Posts
With the 2.5 do NOT go upgraded tire size (245) with KO2 and keep the factory wheels.

Either lose several pounds with the wheels or stick with the factory (225) size. Ideally both, you'll actually lose weight over the factory design.

If you just want the looks, I'm sure there are lighter tires than BFG if you insist on getting to the 245 size.

I haven't noticed a difference with a lift as far as fuel mileage. With factory tires I could still get 32 mpg highway with the 2.5

No ultra long term (100k+) reports of lift kits but reliability seems about the same. There is an issue with some about a vibration in low speed situations.

It does help the approach angle a good bit. Takes it from laughable to below average.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
19 Posts
You may see a tiny drop in MPG, but overall not much. There was a good article on Jalopnik about a guy who did a whole writeup on having a lifted car as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,863 Posts
i just love how cool they look lifted. i would do that no question but not just for looks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the 2.5 do NOT go upgraded tire size (245) with KO2 and keep the factory wheels.

Either lose several pounds with the wheels or stick with the factory (225) size. Ideally both, you'll actually lose weight over the factory design.

If you just want the looks, I'm sure there are lighter tires than BFG if you insist on getting to the 245 size.

I haven't noticed a difference with a lift as far as fuel mileage. With factory tires I could still get 32 mpg highway with the 2.5

No ultra long term (100k+) reports of lift kits but reliability seems about the same. There is an issue with some about a vibration in low speed situations.

It does help the approach angle a good bit. Takes it from laughable to below average.

Do you know the weight of factory wheels on a 2017 2.5 premium?
So I can add up the wheel and tire combos I’m looking for comparison.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
I drove a 97 Legacy wagon with a 6 inch lift as a daily driver for 8 years and 90K I did use it for winter trips to the Sierra Nevada and needed to get to trailheads that had a lot of snow on the road in.

I didn't see any bad issues with excessive wear. I should have rebuilt the axles but I didn't during that time.
I did see a drop in MPG of 3-4 both city and highway but that was due to tire size I went from a 185/60/14 to a 215/75/15 BFG

I loved the car and so did every kid in WRX on any socal freeway. At least 5 thumbs up per week from other subie lovers.
I sold it last month. I have a 05 outback that is about to get a four inch lift, method or sparco wheels and 225/65/17 BFGs

Cant Wait

Here is a photo of the 97 in June Lake CA around 400 miles from my house. A weekend drive I would do a lot in the winter

·
Registered
06' Outback 3.0R
219 Posts
you can get beefier springs from King and have your dealer install them. idk how much lift youll get out of them, somebody may have insight into that, idk if dealers in NY will do that but i know a guy here in Wi that is bringing his gen 5 in tomorrow to have the dealer put Kings on it

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only risk you run of a lift is pre-mature wear and tear of the CV boots because you're altering the angle at which its designed to operate.
That's all.

With that said, I've had my 04 Forester XT lifted 2 inches and I blew a CV boot within months (fortunately under warranty) we'll see how the rest of the duration works out.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
185 Posts
Here is a question I have been pondering. I run a 2019 Limited 3.6R ....so it has stock 18" tires on it. Let's assume I lift it, and add 245-65-17 BFG AT?KO2's. Now I will run the KO2's from October to April, and then switch back to my all-seasons (18") for summer.
Does the lift have any negative impact on the stock tires and wheels once I switch back ?
I am trying to identify anything that may bite me on this lift. How about resale ? Does anyone notice a tougher resale on a lifted car ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts