Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this topic has been raised in this thread but I am starting again in the Gen6 area as my contribution is specific to this platform.

Currently, there is no bolt-on solution for a light bar in the lower grill. External options exist (Rally Innovations, SSD, LP). RC now offers this kit for the Gen5 and the key is their proprietary bracket. It utilizes two bolts in the core support. I measured the bolts on mine (2020 OB XT) to be just about the exact same width, so the RC bracket should fit ours just the same.

To be a tester they are sending me the bracket, free of charge. Thanks to DJ in customer service! Hopefully I can help them safely advertise the kit for 2020+ OB.

I will update when the bracket arrives.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about a wilderness?
I can't say for sure, yet, but my gut tells me it will fit. If they didn't change much from the Gen5 to the Gen6 in that area, I doubt they changed much for the Wilderness.

If anyone wants to pop off their lower grill on a wilderness and compare the space to the RC install instructions, I'm sure others would be interested in your findings. My guess is you would see two bolts approximately 29.75" apart from each other.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness
772 Posts
I can't say for sure, yet, but my gut tells me it will fit. If they didn't change much from the Gen5 to the Gen6 in that area, I doubt they changed much for the Wilderness.

If anyone wants to pop off their lower grill on a wilderness and compare the space to the RC install instructions, I'm sure others would be interested in your findings. My guess is you would see two bolts approximately 29.75" apart from each other.
Im going to orders some diode dynamics fogs, will look when I do that..

A bolt on fit for the Wilderness would be nice, how good is the light bar I wonder?

·
Registered
2022 White/Black OutBack Limited
263 Posts
I was thinking of plugging in a Black Oak LED bar in that gap....now we all know that that area for the install is also the area of an active shutter for proper function of the cooling system, riiiiight??

in fact, it is this very reason I already haven't purchased and installed the Black Oak LED yet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bracket arrived today and it is in. I am not quite ready to say this install is exactly the same as the Gen5. The plastic frame separating the front bumper cavity from the radiator was slightly in the way at the bottom. The holes I measured are the correct distance, but the bracket would not sit flush. I removed the plastic separation, just a few bolts, and relocated a sensor. I believe it was the ambient air temp?

It is sturdy and I trust it to remain safely in place. Next step is to pick a bar and get it installed. I am not confident the the grill itself will be able to stay, as I had really hoped, unless I drill new light bar mounting holes on the bracket further back. It is installed for now with only the bracket behind it.

Additional details to follow.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

Tire Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

Building Rolling Asphalt Composite material Gas

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood Trunk

I think one only needs a couple properly-shaped L brackets and you would have a mount. This bracket is helpful but it can easily be imitated. What I may do is drill mounting holes in the base of the bracket to mount a bar from there, instead of using the holes on the bracket ends.

·
Registered
'22 OBW (moonroof, OEM underguards, Pedal Commander)
549 Posts
Quick question -- would I be correct in guessing from the crimson and gray Go Cougs that you're a Wazzu alum? Taught there back in the '90s -- good times.

Reactions: Peep6543

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yessir! Actually in that bumper pic above you can see the reflection of one of my coolers.

Pullman is a very unique place. Very few true college towns quite like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts