Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
115 Posts
i put a 12k lumen 21” in the flush mounted in lower grill...looks like a factory install. Works on a separate toggleswitch on the lower left dash. Also put 4K lumen bulbs in the fogs. Had to move the license plate to a tow hook mount to not block the light bar.
View attachment 475135
That does look pretty factory install Hankdog. Can you take a close up picture of how you mounted it and integrated it into the lower grill so well?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those pics are great Hankdog - thank you so much. Did you have to take the bumper or grill off to do that?
Nope, nothing needed to come off ...I have a 2017 so all we needed to do was angle cut the lower bar of the lower grill on both sides of the light bar, and attach the mounting brackets. I had some help from a friend who does aftermarket installations, and he helped to wire it and install the toggle switch. It’s been nice to have it when traveling through deer and elk country. I am a believer in deer whistles as well and I have seen (with the help of the light bar and halogen fogs) deer look up sharply and run away from the car. The lights really help with visibility. A night time drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone can be nerve wracking without the help of the extra light. Ditto for driving in Northern Wisconsin where my daughter’s family live.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
115 Posts
That definitely looks like the simplest install I've seen Hankdog. Those bolts that holds down the light bar bracket - did you have to drill holes for those and do the holes go into steel or just plastic?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Impressive picture GeoffMurray. What make and model of light bars is that and can you take a pic of your front end to see how you mounted them please and thanks?
Here’s my post on the install that I ended up doing. Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i put a 12k lumen 21” in the flush mounted in lower grill...looks like a factory install. Works on a separate toggleswitch on the lower left dash. Also put 4K lumen bulbs in the fogs. Had to move the license plate to a tow hook mount to not block the light bar.
View attachment 475135
Looks great! I like the look of the flush single row light bar better then mine which I ended up mounting behind the grill. Where’d you get the grill and black emblem from?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks great! I like the look of the flush single row light bar better then mine which I ended up mounting behind the grill. Where’d you get the grill and black emblem from?
Thanks ...I am sure your install looks great too. I ordered the grill from JDM in Japan for $200. It came flat black primed and I had a friend who has a body shop paint it to match the body color and also to put it on ...it took them a couple of hours and it would have taken me fornever and I probably would have screwed it up. I ordered the white on black logo’s for the front and back from an on-line source somewhere in China ...took awhile to get here but I like them. Also ordered the SUBARU stainless letters from a company in the Dallas area that sell automotive lettering. They stick on and don’t come off. Can try to dig up the links if you need them, but a google search will probably turn them up.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
131 Posts
View attachment 475135
I love the outback emblem on the front of hood. Looks super badass. Wish I would have kept my badges after I debadged the rear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love the outback emblem on the front of hood. Looks super badass. Wish I would have kept my badges after I debadged the rear.
Thanks ...they are actually individual letters. Bought them on eBay. Put them on the lower rear hatch as well after debadging the hatch. Kind of a pain to put them on straight and properly spaced but it worked out. I liked the way my old explorer had the letters in the front of the hood so I tried to replicate the same look on the Outback.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks ...I am sure your install looks great too. I ordered the grill from JDM in Japan for $200. It came flat black primed and I had a friend who has a body shop paint it to match the body color and also to put it on ...it took them a couple of hours and it would have taken me fornever and I probably would have screwed it up. I ordered the white on black logo’s for the front and back from an on-line source somewhere in China ...took awhile to get here but I like them. Also ordered the SUBARU stainless letters from a company in the Dallas area that sell automotive lettering. They stick on and don’t come off. Can try to dig up the links if you need them, but a google search will probably turn them up.
Sweet! $200 isn't too bad, definitely more manageable than the $400+ dollar ones. Is there adhesive on the back of the emblem that just allowed you to stick it to the grill? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sweet! $200 isn't too bad, definitely more manageable than the $400+ dollar ones. Is there adhesive on the back of the emblem that just allowed you to stick it to the grill? Thanks for the info!
We used a big pile of automotive two-part epoxy and it sticks like its part of the grill. Run it though the car wash every week and it’s never come loose.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts