Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I tried to search but couldn't find things, or don't know what to ask)

So, bought the manual 5spd Outback Impreza Sport last week, heard the noise and was told it was the broken the CV boot & axle. Had the axle replaced... and still hear a noise.

I'm not totally sure where it's coming from... seems like front right (where the broken CV was) but could be middle/transmission.

it doesn't make the noise on every acceleration, and seems to go away into 3rd.

what am I hearing? clutch problem? transmission problem? where do I start?

Tys

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
grinding?

is it speed or gear related? That is, if you did 30 in second, and 30 in 3rd, does it sound the same? Do you hear it when braking?

do you hear it if you coast in neutral?, coast with the clutch in? Does it change if you're turning/sweeping left vs right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry - good questions:

has nothing to do with turning

has nothing to do with braking, except that when you slow down below 10mph,(in 2nd) you hear it

I don't hear it much into third.... or over 25mph

no noise in neutral, no noise when the clutch goes in..

the noise speeds up as the car speeds up... it's a grinding noise, or like something's rubbing on some axle/gear thing that is spinning in direct proportion to the wheels turning.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Sounds like a bearing within the transmission or front differential. Apparently its only making the noise under load and goes away when the load is decreased. This is typical of bearing wear.

Check the fluid level in the front differential. Level ground, the dipstick is on top of the front diff accessible from under the hood.

You may want to locate a good Subaru transmission tech and have them listen/feel what its doing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, found the little Dipstick, actually seems to be over-filled... Could that have been previous owner trying to mask this issue by flooding it? Hmm.

I noticed the little clutch fluid thing, (and on the cap it says use brake fluid??) that seems a little low... What brand/type of stuff goes in there?

Any other thoughts on this grinding/rubbing? I will end up at a mechanic if it's transmission related, but if it's something other I could tackle, I might... But I can use all the help I can get to identify and research.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
put the front up on jacks and spin the axles and listen. Might need a helper, might need a 'stethoscope' - get a foot of copper tubing, attach 3 feet of vacuum line, move the copper around to different areas while someone turns the front axles - compare one side to the other. maybe pinpoint if the noise is at the diff or out at the wheels.

Maybe pull the drain on the tranny and look for 'chunks' on the magnet. (1/4 to maybe 1/2 teaspoon of 'sludge' is probably typical - wipe it off before replacing)

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Ok, found the little Dipstick, actually seems to be over-filled... Could that have been previous owner trying to mask this issue by flooding it? Hmm.

I noticed the little clutch fluid thing, (and on the cap it says use brake fluid??) that seems a little low... What brand/type of stuff goes in there?

Any other thoughts on this grinding/rubbing? I will end up at a mechanic if it's transmission related, but if it's something other I could tackle, I might... But I can use all the help I can get to identify and research.
DOT 3 or 4 Brake Fluid is used also as clutch fluid as the system is identical to the brakes. It provides a specific pressure to operate a piston and has a high boiling point.

I'm still leaning towards a transmission or diff rebuild. The bearing that rides between the transmission and front differential will make a whining/grinding noise when it fails. Same with the differential bearings. And yes, as much as we would like to trust others, the previous owner may have overfilled the diff or added a heavier oil to mask the noise.

Why else would you sell a Subie unless you are trading up or there is something wrong with it you don't want to pay to repair? Just my thoughts.

We're back to having a tranny shop tech listen to the noise. A good one will know what it is when he hears it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm at 103,000 miles.

Now I've driven a bit more... I did some hills today, and doing about 40 downhill, in neutral, I thought I heard the noise. So it might not just be 1st & 2nd related. it still is direct proportion to the speed.

I will work to figure out exactly where the noise is, I'll get it up and hand-turn the wheels. anything else I should try and do?

will take a week or more to get it to a transmission place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing