Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm a member over at Legacygt.com and have a 2010 Legacy 3.6R. We are attempting to get some interest for production on a light weight crank pulley for the 3.6R engine. The pulley increases throttle response and frees up horsepower.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lw-crank-pulley-gb-3-6r-203560.html

Just thought I'd post here to see if any Outback 3.6R owners would be interested.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
I've read 2-3 posts where folks have wanted a LW (not underdrive) replacement pulley for the 3.0 .Some of these cars are old enough that the stock 2-piece pulley's rubber is degrading and an aftermarket pulley would be appreciated.

is this pulley backwards compatible to the EZ30 ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm in. Whats the estimated cost?

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
from looking at the thread earlier - they're talking about $150-$200 range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the interest. Yea around $150-200 for the pulley.

I am a little green when it comes to performance however all the info should be there. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get an answer for you.

Or, you can join us over at LGT.com and ask away :). We're not a-holes like in some other forums.

There is even a thread going on a base tune for a 3.6R for about 20+ hp. Looks to be $$$$ but lets see where it goes first.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the interest. Yea around $150-200 for the pulley.

I am a little green when it comes to performance however all the info should be there. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get an answer for you.

Or, you can join us over at LGT.com and ask away :). We're not a-holes like in some other forums.

There is even a thread going on a base tune for a 3.6R for about 20+ hp. Looks to be $$$$ but lets see where it goes first.

Very cool. I already have an account over there so will check it out.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Concern for the 3.0 is that will it throw the crank out of balance? Does the stock act as a harmonic balancer ? I have wanted to do this in the past on other cars but many have swayed me not to as this was a concern.

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
it doesn't function as a harmonic balancer on our boxer engines.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Silly idea. The moment of inertia of a smallish diameter steel pulley is negligible, almost zero power to be gained by replacing with aluminum. Plus you have to deal with age hardening and cracking, which would never be a problem in steel. You can get these from Paeco. You'd like the Paeco folks, they make the crank pulleys smaller than stock. With a lighter, smaller diameter pulley, you should be good for a bazillion HP. :p:p Don't forget to add stickers. Everything is faster with stickers.

ALUMINUM POWER PULLEYS

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Silly idea. The moment of inertia of a smallish diameter steel pulley is negligible, almost zero power to be gained by replacing with aluminum. Plus you have to deal with age hardening and cracking, which would never be a problem in steel. You can get these from Paeco. You'd like the Paeco folks, they make the crank pulleys smaller than stock. With a lighter, smaller diameter pulley, you should be good for a bazillion HP. :p:p Don't forget to add stickers. Everything is faster with stickers.

ALUMINUM POWER PULLEYS
I'm tempted to agree. Every "power pulley" I've ever seen for any other application got 95% of its gains by being a little smaller, and 5% from being made of aluminum.

One important thing to consider: It's pretty easy to change your idle with FreeSSM. A smaller pulley combined with a slightly higher idle would allow normal alt charging and air conditioning while maintaining the full benefit of the power pulley.

It might knock your emissions, but... this is a power mod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are not saying that it increases horsepower but that it increases throttle response and "frees up" horsepower so it gives the feeling of increased horsepower. We know there are no "real" performance gains from it.

I have a throttle controller on my car and it just feels faster (no performance gains) when switching to a more linear throttle map.

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
even if gains are minimal, there are people with older cars suffering failure of the rubber-layered multipiece OEM pulley that would appreciate an aftermarket choice.

should be easy enough to log 3-4 runs with Torque or some other app/device before the swap, then again after, and see if a coupla xtra ponies are free'ed up.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
We are not saying that it increases horsepower but that it increases throttle response and "frees up" horsepower so it gives the feeling of increased horsepower. We know there are no "real" performance gains from it.

I have a throttle controller on my car and it just feels faster (no performance gains) when switching to a more linear throttle map.
My throttle re-maps when I switch to sport mode in my XT. And I agree, it just feels faster even though nothing real has changed. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Why not work out a more aggressive re-map instead of throwing big money at tiny gains?

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
there aren't many options to increase performance on a NA car.

it isn't prohibitively expensive - even if you paid someone for the installation.

you can find before/after dyno runs on line that seem to show an increase of WHP of several percent. However, many of those are turbo or otherwise tuned/modded cars.

downside may be increased NVH

meh - if you want to try it, seems like it's an option no worse than exhaust mods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My throttle re-maps when I switch to sport mode in my XT. And I agree, it just feels faster even though nothing real has changed. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Why not work out a more aggressive re-map instead of throwing big money at tiny gains?
A ECU tune for the 3.6R is currently being looked into so that front is covered.

The ECU tune and pulley could be a nice combo :)

Us NA owners just want a little something to enhance the driving experience.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree that any HP gain will be little to none but my thought is that the reduction in rotational weight may improve throttle response in a similar way that a lightweight flywheel does.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In part true no HP gains but in-turn crank, a/c and p/s pulley change outs and using factory size and aluminum more for engine weight.
So going into this further not for HP but more performance of the overall engine:
So on Grimm site: Phenolic spacers for intake temp reduction. Also exhaust manifold porting.
Had considered ceramic wraps but talking to a few shops decided not to as this leads to in time, degrade of downpipe through increased temp corrosion.

Thoughts on any of these and not saying performance upgrades but overall engine ability.

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
^^^^ wonder if there's a way to tune the variable valve system on that 3.0 for more performance?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts