Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!! I am new hear, but have been a Subie owner for about 6+ years. We bought a 2011 Outback Premium cold weather package in early 2011. So far we love it!!

However, about 1 month ago, our passenger headlight went out. Luckily we were barley under 36000 miles and the dealer took care of it. Now we just lost the driver side headlight and of course we are over the 36000 mile warranty. Okay, it cost 44 bucks, no biggie.

My questions;

Is this normal?
Have any of you had head light trouble?

My Honda is 12 years old and just replaced the first headlight last year!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
494 Posts
Many times, when one fails the other fails shortly thereafter. It was more common with the old sealed beam headlamps, but it also occurs with halogen capsules.

You could have replaced the bulb yourself for about $6-$7. Yeah, it's somewhat of a pain because you have to loosen/remove the front inner fender liner.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
People who use the auto setting have reported early bulb failure from the lights repeatedly cycling/flashing when driving under an overpass.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
People who use the auto setting have reported early bulb failure from the lights repeatedly cycling/flashing when driving under an overpass.
If this is accurate, the effect of too frequent cycling of headlights can be reduced by adjusting the sensitivity of the light sensor. Check your owner's manual for instructions on this.

Also, BadAV is correct about lights burning out close together. It is good advice to always change bulbs as a pair, even though the other bulb may still be good. Bulbs tend to change over time, in both brightness and in color rendition.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Your dealer can program the computer to make the auto-headlight sensor less sensitive, plus you can simply turn the headlight switch to off like in the good old days.

Using the Narva Loing Life H7 bulbs for more than double the life, with the same light output (1500 lumens vs 1400 lumens stock). Narva® Long Life H7 55w Bulb

I also upgraded to the HIR bulbs for my high beams, which made a huge difference (almost like having driving lights!) New Genuine Philips HIR1 (9011) & Philips HIR2 (3rdGen) (9012)

Of course, the most durable low-beam solution is to install a quality HID kit. I used the one made by Phillips in Germany.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the replies!! This is a great website/forum. We do keep them on the daytime running all the time, so it does make sense it would burn the bulbs quicker. We got it replaced, $44 & had the "B" service done at the same time. Here in NH our dirt roads do bounce the car around quite a bit. Overall, very pleased with this Subie

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
What I do, when one bulb fails (after a long use), I change both bulbs; I think it is even recommended to change them in pairs...so that you have the same brightness....

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Remember except for the LL meaning long life bulbs they last around 300-400 hours of use.
Replacing them in pairs only makes sense considering the above fact. I don't know LL hours but the literature usually says at least 2X the life.
I love the HIDs and they are well suited to the projector housing of the OB.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
841 Posts
Remember except for the LL meaning long life bulbs they last around 300-400 hours of use.
Replacing them in pairs only makes sense considering the above fact. I don't know LL hours but the literature usually says at least 2X the life.
I love the HIDs and they are well suited to the projector housing of the OB.
There is no free lunch. Long life bulbs have to trade off brightness for extended life. The color temperature is noticeably yellower, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts