Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on the Delta lights website and i saw that they have some DOT approved headlights that were high beams and driving lights and round, i am wondering if i could mount them in to fog light spots, and wire them to work with the main headlights and high beams... Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
If you could find a way to mount them, sure.

Perusal of that site looks like most of those are meant as drop-in replacements for sealed beam headlamps, not standalone fog lights meant to use an encapsulated halogen bulb.

I'm sure it could be done but as the H6024 those replace mounts with a ring and the fogs on your/our OB have mounting bosses made into the housings to work with the factory bracket, it would probably be difficult to adapt something like that to work.

Easier choice would be an aftermarket driving light setup like Hella in the factory spots. You can rewire factory fogs to work with the high beams or with either hi/low beams pretty easily.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so which one would you guys recommend? I really like their black magic series, but i would want to have that same type of finish on the headlights. is there any way to do that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have seen a good number of people on here who have quite a few aftermarket lights on their cars, at what point it is necessary to have a better alternator, or a different pulley.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, i am going to solder just about everything and shrink wrap it, i have had too many problems with things rusting out. i was mostly worried if i add a bunch of aux lights i dont want it to draw more than the alternator can put out.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Alternator output will be determined by the regulator. Regardless of the alternator manufacturer, the output of the alternator is dependent on the load it senses. Most Subaru alternators peak at 90 amps on the smaller engine models. Trial and error will tell. How many amps do you expect to draw and for how long?

Short term usage of high amperage draw will not damage the alternator. You could also up the CCA of the battery in your car and this will lessen the load on the alternator. Install a 750-850 CCA battery and add a 4 gauge ground cable from the battery to the block. I run a 750 in my VDC and there is a lot of electrical load in the car, engine, trans, lights, etc. I have 2 extra ground cables, one to the block, one to the firewall. (Added the firewall cable after I installed the upgraded stereo system to help with the amperage flow to the amplifier mounted in the rear storage area.) Still using the original alternator. It just won't die.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 640cca battery, but when i have to replace it i will get one with a bit more oomph. i am feeling good about the power thing though. now i just need to figure out how to wire it all in and have it look good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Stoic Guardian
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing