Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Please could somebody tell me if is is possible to fit an aftermarket lightweight pulley to my EJ251 2000 Outback as I can only seem to find once to fit turbo models???

Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
what are you going to get for your money, outside of color?

165 hp vs. 165.2538 hp?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
The turbo model is the only motor you want to put one of those one. The NA motor, stay with the stock.

You can always paint it up really cherry and all.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Hi there

Please could somebody tell me if is is possible to fit an aftermarket lightweight pulley to my EJ251 2000 Outback as I can only seem to find once to fit turbo models???

Thanks
EJ crank pulleys have been interchangeable for like ever. I think they're all interchangeable for some huge range of years and models like 1990-2009 or something like that.

For sure a 00-04 legacy and impreza is the same engine and interchangeable with your outback so one for any of those will work on yours:
Lightweight Crank Pulley - Subaru - GrimmSpeed

what are you going to get for your money, outside of color?

165 hp vs. 165.2538 hp?
It also removes a failure mode of the pulley separating, that's my favorite "feature". albeit a minuscule one that no one really cares about!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
EJ crank pulleys have been interchangeable for like ever. I think they're all interchangeable for some huge range of years and models like 1990-2009 or something like that.

For sure a 00-04 legacy and impreza is the same engine and interchangeable with your outback so one for any of those will work on yours:
Lightweight Crank Pulley - Subaru - GrimmSpeed

It also removes a failure mode of the pulley separating, that's my favorite "feature".
well,...then I will look for one at the pick and pulls. $125:|

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
well,...then I will look for one at the pick and pulls. $125:|
Of course, and that's what i always recommend for that fix when i come across it!

on this thread, i never recommended it, only that it's another possible reason. granted, probably a reason that possibly no other member has ever acted on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It also removes a failure mode of the pulley separating, that's my favorite "feature". albeit a minuscule one that no one really cares about!
That rubber inside the two metal halves of the pully on the crank has separated before on me, on a SAAB 9000 turbo. Left me stranded, as the engine continued to run until the battery was totally, utterly dead, not even enough to operate the flashers or horn. A huge hassle.

On a parallel note, the Germans used this two-piece design on the wheel on the bogie on one of their high-speed inter-city express trains. The wheel separated at the rubber, the train derailed, and as bad luck would have it, one carriage slammed into a bridge overpass support column, bringing down the bridge on top of the train. Many dead. So much for fancy engineering, when it really was not needed and was nothing more than a tribute to just how fancy you can make it to show off. The simple, sturdy design is the way to go.

I think I will get into the business of machining replacement one-piece pulleys.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
That rubber inside the two metal halves of the pully on the crank has separated before on me, on a SAAB 9000 turbo. Left me stranded, as the engine continued to run until the battery was totally, utterly dead, not even enough to operate the flashers or horn.
Quick fix is to screw self tapping sheet metal screws in between the rubber and metal.

then weld it when you get home.

joking, but it does work.

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
87 Posts
I have a Perrin lightweight pulley on my 99 OTBK, it helps to give me more RPM faster when shifting through the gears, the old pulley with its weight was slower down and up, just food for thought when using a manual trans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts