Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Crystal White Pearl Outback 2.5I Limited, black leather interior. Beautiful. With eyesight and all the goodies. Factory hitch. My second OB.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have the automatic digital temperature control in my 2011 OB Limited I still have to adjust the fan speed manually even on auto mode. The owners manually states that when set to auto it should adjust speed and temp output to keep pace with whatever temp I set it for. During a recent oil change(Subaru Gold synthetic) I asked the service mgr about this. He stated due to the direct sunlite on the temp sensor right below the windshield the system does not work perfectly and that I do have to set the fan speed manually even when on auto mode. I find that hard to believe.

Do you find yourself doing the same thing or is mine screwed up????

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
To be honest, i hardly ever use AUTO. I just set a temp (72 degrees) and control the fan speed manually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine works. As the temperature cools in the car the fan slows itself down. One thing you can do to check this after the air has been running for a little bit (i.e. it's not 100 degress inside the car) is to slowly increase the set point of the thermostat. The system should start automatically adjusting itself (e.g. fan slows down, air changes from re-circulation to outside air).

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Not the case in my '12 limited. Are you refering to being in "Auto" or "Full auto"? If you manually adjust any control other than temperature, you will still be in auto, but not full auto. Push the auto button, and you should see "Full auto" on the little readout. If you don't something is wrong.
I find the very high fan speeds that full auto can employ a little aggravating, so my work around is to bump up the temp until it slows down. Then, as the temp comes down, I bump it back to where I ultimately want it. Works for me. My wife just starts using it in manual. She would probably never use full auto, if left to her own devices.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
not a 12 but, my wife never uses auto and I always do.

probably just individual tolerance for noise/breeze from the system.

doesn't mean something may not be broken.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
To be honest, i hardly ever use AUTO. I just set a temp (72 degrees) and control the fan speed manually.
After a lot of experimenting since getting our OB in 2010, we have been doing something a little different which seems to work well for us. We always leave the system in full auto and only change the temp setting which also changes the fan speed.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
After a lot of experimenting since getting our OB in 2010, we have been doing something a little different which seems to work well for us. We always leave the system in full auto and only change the temp setting which also changes the fan speed.
You know, i read your comment (i think) in the past and promised myself to try it...but **** it, i always forget (or too lazy)!! I think that the main thing i hate is the full blast of FULL AUTO when i first get into a "warm" car (not necessarily a metal-melting hot car). So, i just roll down the windows and only blast it at level 3-4 for a few minutes and then drop it to 1-2 (depending on conditions).

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
Not the case in my '12 limited. Are you refering to being in "Auto" or "Full auto"? If you manually adjust any control other than temperature, you will still be in auto, but not full auto. Push the auto button, and you should see "Full auto" on the little readout. If you don't something is wrong.
You hit the nail on the head there, that is the way it is supposed to work. AUTO only controls the temp set point. If you run the fan at max while set to 70 in AUTO, it will run the AC compressor until the car gets to be 70 then the AC turns off and it starts blowing in warm(er) air like a vent setting. Once temp goes past set point AC will kick on and start cooling at whatever fan setting you are on.

In FULL AUTO it will modulate the fan speed as needed to maintain temp and run AC or Heat as appropriate. In AC mode once it gets cool enough it may also cut off the AC compressor, but will turn it back on as the temp fo the car rises past the set point.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
320 Posts
after a lot of experimenting since getting our ob in 2010, we have been doing something a little different which seems to work well for us. We always leave the system in full auto and only change the temp setting which also changes the fan speed.
+1 :29:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
410 Posts
That's what I generally do, but on particularly hot days where the fan is blasting even when the temp is set to 78 (when you first start the car), I'll turn down the fan and enable the Full Auto a little later (when I remember)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts