Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put in an aftermarket limited slip differential on a 2010-14 Outback with the 3.6r 5eat Auto from Cusco?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Is it possible to put in an aftermarket limited slip differential on a 2010-14 Outback with the 3.6r 5eat Auto from Cusco?
It's an AWD system: why would you wish to do this, given that all wheels can/do have torque apportioned to them on an as-needed basis?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
A 3.6 of that era is VDC, VTD, and traction control. You're not going to gain anything unless you want old school locking diffs...and that would be an undertaking more expensive than buying an old Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 3.6 of that era is VDC, VTD, and traction control. You're not going to gain anything unless you want old school locking diffs...and that would be an undertaking more expensive than buying an old Jeep Cherokee.
I am skeptical about traction control and the VDC systems. I am looking for a rig where I can do moderate off roading, deep snow wheeling with front and rear limited slip differentials, and be able to put in tire that are more than 32 inches.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
I am skeptical about traction control and the VDC systems. I am looking for a rig where I can do moderate off roading, deep snow wheeling with front and rear limited slip differentials, and be able to put in tire that are more than 32 inches.
Make sure your solution includes accounting for the electronic systems as well. If the VDC & traction control isn't aware that there is also a mechanical traction control you could wind up with some unpredictable and negative side effects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure your solution includes accounting for the electronic systems as well. If the VDC & traction control isn't aware that there is also a mechanical traction control you could wind up with some unpredictable and negative side effects.
I have a feeling that a tradtional transfer case and lockers system will be more compatible to my needs. I will just look at a Tacoma or 4runner then.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Ground clearance and snow amount are probably the bigger players than drivetrain. You can high center anything, the toyota won't keep up with a unimog, so depends what you're trying to do.

You can google the VTD system and see if it can do what you need, but ground clearance is likely to be the bigger factor.

·
Registered
06 3.0R OBW, 09 WRX, 14 OBW 3.6R
96 Posts
Some Gen 3 3.0R's came with a rear mechanical LSD, and the STI also has a front LSD and driver controlled center differential. If you go to NASIOC, there are all kinds of transplants performed. My favorites are full STI to Forester swaps.

But once you added "32" tires" you are barking up the wrong tree. Subarus have relatively sophisticated AWD systems, to go fast. Sounds like you want a manual 4WD system, to go slow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im thinking the same thing . It seems the system is set up to transfer power from back to front but not side to side . A LSD in the rear or a locker would be very good. Just recently I was climbing a hill and surprisingly the front and back spun down . The right rear wheel spun down while the left rear didnt get power and if it had I would not have spun down because it was not on soft loose ground .

·
Registered
27 Posts
The reason they use open diffs is that the abs / traction control system monitors wheel speed and applies braking on a spinning wheel so the open diff shifts power to the other wheel on that axle . It works on snow on paved roads . Not so well for rocky dirt with body twisting holes in the road .

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's an AWD system: why would you wish to do this, given that all wheels can/do have torque apportioned to them on an as-needed basis?
The drive system on 3.6R is symmetrical front to back does great but has open diffs . So recently I was on a little hill that I stopped on . I tried to take off and one back wheel was spinning in sand one front wheel was spinning as well. So with open diffs the power goes to the least resistance (spinning wheel ). This is exactly why you want a LSD . Some subaru's have LSD already such as a Forrester stick shift . The newer ones have X mode .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts