Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for a litter container in their Outbacks?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,864 Posts
we have a bag-like thing that hangs from a haeadrest post. sorta like this;

but usually just for road trips.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I try not to keep trash in the car.. but my wife likes the 8 cupholders lol. Everytime I drive the car I end up with a handful of receipts and straw wrappers along with a couple empty bottles...

I'll use the cupholder in a jam, but empty it at my first stop.

I find it funny because it doesn't bother me in the least to leave an empty cup and napkin on my endtable all night, but my wife will clean it up ASAP.. the exact opposite is true in our cars lol

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Two kids and many road trips - the large door pockets in all the doors are game for trash. Also makes it easy to clean just wipe them out after you empty them etc. We don't have room for a trash bin to be added to the car LOL

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

High-tech, Mother-Soobie-approved solution:

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
Some states require a waste receptacle with a closure mechanism to prevent litter from escaping when you open the door, roll down the windows, etc. If you get stopped, you could get a ticket for not having one, even if there's no trash in your car.

I keep meaning to get one because I think WA has this requirement and maybe OR, as well. We live in WA and travel in OR frequently. I think we're going to substitute a large freezer zip-lock bag so we can at least say we had something.

Andrew

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Some states require a waste receptacle with a closure mechanism to prevent litter from escaping when you open the door, roll down the windows, etc. If you get stopped, you could get a ticket for not having one, even if there's no trash in your car.

I keep meaning to get one because I think WA has this requirement and maybe OR, as well. We live in WA and travel in OR frequently. I think we're going to substitute a large freezer zip-lock bag so we can at least say we had something.

Andrew
LOL - right!
If you get a ticket for this - its because the cop stopped you for something else and you pissed him off.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium 6MT
67 Posts
Bought a $10 litter bag (similar to the Thule one posted above) at AutoZone. It has velcro straps which I used to attach it to the back of the center console - it fits perfectly, sits on the transmission hump, is easily accessible, and is large enough to hold a long trip's worth of trash but small enough that I have to empty it before it gets too rancid.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
We had one of those small litter baskets that just about everyone sell with a loop on top. We would hang it fron the cigarett lighter. Well nothing to hang it from in the OB. I finally came op with the idea of using a 3M removable hook. You know, the ads show them removing the hook and then slowely pullong the tab slowely to release it from the wall. Placed it on the passenger side of the center console so it doesn't get in the way of the glove box door. It's only been on for a couple of weeks. I did clean the area where the tape goes with alcohol, so we'll see how long it lasts. They do come with extra tape and are cheap so if it does eventually come loose I'll just use another piece of the tape.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
when i first came to WA in 2004, i remember being told about fines for not having a wastebasket in your car. i've never heard anything about it since. my wife's car is a dumpster on wheels, she's lived here all here life and would never think twice about something so silly. if you get a ticket for that the cop is obviously a dickhead and you probably got some other stupid fine that would NOT hold up if you go to get the ticket dismissed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bought a $10 litter bag (similar to the Thule one posted above) at AutoZone. It has velcro straps which I used to attach it to the back of the center console - it fits perfectly, sits on the transmission hump, is easily accessible, and is large enough to hold a long trip's worth of trash but small enough that I have to empty it before it gets too rancid.
This sounds promising. Do you have a link? I will have to look for it next time I'm at Autozone.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited
20 Posts
Haha! And here I thought California had pretty yuppie laws!

Alas, I'm kind of interested now too because a Target plastic bag in the passenger footwell makes me feel kinda low class in the company of others with their snazzy receptacles. :D

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i use the plastic bags the grocery store gives me every time i buy something. i hang it off the gear selector(auto trans) and when it gets full i toss the whole thing.

priceless.

but my wife uses the passenger side floor boards too. even if there is a trash bag.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i PZEV
21 Posts

Andrew
Seriously? Wow, that is amazing. Just curious do these same states require vehicles to have ash trays? I've heard the comment more than once that "I throw my butts out because my **** car didn't come with an ashtray". But down here in the south people toss their butts out on the sidewalk when a perfectly good butt can is staring them in the face so its a losing battle anyway.

A bit of overkill but I'm wanting to get a Trasharoo bag, just think it will be too big.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
LOL - right!
If you get a ticket for this - its because the cop stopped you for something else and you pissed him off.
when i first came to WA in 2004, i remember being told about fines for not having a wastebasket in your car. i've never heard anything about it since. my wife's car is a dumpster on wheels, she's lived here all here life and would never think twice about something so silly. if you get a ticket for that the cop is obviously a dickhead and you probably got some other stupid fine that would NOT hold up if you go to get the ticket dismissed.
Haha! And here I thought California had pretty yuppie laws!

Alas, I'm kind of interested now too because a Target plastic bag in the passenger footwell makes me feel kinda low class in the company of others with their snazzy receptacles. :D
Seriously? Wow, that is amazing. Just curious do these same states require vehicles to have ash trays? I've heard the comment more than once that "I throw my butts out because my **** car didn't come with an ashtray". But down here in the south people toss their butts out on the sidewalk when a perfectly good butt can is staring them in the face so its a losing battle anyway.

Wow! I never expected so many people were so adamant about this. I didn't make the rules. Just sayin'.

jhobbs, there are huge fines for littering around here (WA) and in OR. Cigarette butts included, but we also have a lot of no-smoking laws, so I doubt there are any rules requiring an ash tray. I don't smoke, nor does anyone in my family, so it's been a non-issue for us.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,864 Posts
clearly, what we need in our cars is a 12V powered, small trash compactor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts