Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby got in front of someone and Little Red got smashed up enough that I will probably not fix her. I'd need a body shop to bend the "frame" back and she has 232K miles on her. Abby is fine - Subaru safety worked. The real drag is that I just got EVERYTHING working A1 on the car so she could drive it to school. Tires less than 1,000 miles, new front right wheel bearing, left tie rod end, A/C bitter cold, etc.

What to do now? Abby will drive Onyx - the 2008 LL Bean and I will look into another car. It will probably not be a Subaru because I am in the perfect position to lease a car and Subaru does not lease the Touring models. At least not the 3 dealerships I called. They were all like, hey buddy we can't get enough of these in to sell outright, we ain't worried about leasing. I will most likely pick up the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring. I've had a hankering for that car since I first saw one. Google it if you want. Sport Touring version is the top of the line with lots of nice features. About the same size as and Impreza.

I may keep Little Red as an ongoing project - come along hooked to a tree to bend out the offending steel perhaps.

I'd rather sell her whole for parts though.

Or part her out, she has the Limited interior with auto-dimming compass mirror, leather and wood wheel, intact rear cup holder, heated leather seats, "leather" door cards with puddle lights, new Goodyear Advantage tires on decent wheels. etc.

I want to give folks here first dibs on the whole car and/or part-out before I go to Craig's list. Just to get a feel and some opinions.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
glad everyone is OK.

kinda considering leasing a Forester for the wife who complains about her OB.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
Glad to hear the car worked properly and your family is safe!

My wife and I noticed that Honda too; we're looking to replace her car in the next year.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
I wonder if Mr. Peab can lease under a business name and write off said car,....maybe he could then think of a 3.6 outback or legacy.

and maybe he can part little red into a new 2000-2004 that needs some help.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L/SE Wagon (5 Speed)
179 Posts
+1, those civics look very nice, after driving both a civic and a new impreza, I think the civic is more appealing because of the bigger engine (though AWD is more fun that FWD).

If those seats and door cards are of the darker leather variety I would gladly take some interest in them.

Frame damage is no fun, I would sooner buy a newer car and swap over the goodies and new/salvageable parts then part the old one out

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,261 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is O.K.! It seems to be the year of wrecks.

Can you post some pictures of the damage? I could possibly be interested.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I feel ya David. Our son totaled our 2000 LTD last Saturday. Hit a tree when driving to fast. (ahh to be 16 again?) Walked away without a scratch.

I picked up a rust free 2001 LL Bean w/150K miles yesterday for $1500

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1, those civics look very nice, after driving both a civic and a new impreza, I think the civic is more appealing because of the bigger engine (though AWD is more fun that FWD).

If those seats and door cards are of the darker leather variety I would gladly take some interest in them.

Frame damage is no fun, I would sooner buy a newer car and swap over the goodies and new/salvageable parts then part the old one out
The panels are the light tan type. I actually got them from a Lancaster owner who was blacking his out.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear everyone is O.K.! It seems to be the year of wrecks.

Can you post some pictures of the damage? I could possibly be interested.
The damage is not too severe. The bumper is bent in such a way that I can't get stuff to line up, like the old replacement headlight I have, or the clip holes on the fender cladding (which was trashed before I cut it off) with the holes in the chassis, and the distance between the front of the front wheels and the fenders is not even from driver to passenger sides. The driver's side was rubbing the front of the tire, but I was able to "persuade" it far enough away to drive. You'd need front fenders and new bumper cladding. I have a light.

Read my threads to see how much work and money I put into her. Stuff like a new cat. I have plenty of spares too, like a full set of pads, including two sets of e-brake pads and rebuild kits. Long story. She starts, stops, drives fine and everything works well. She's worth something for parts if nothing else.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
air bag blow?

should it have?

if not ...looks easily fixable.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
Well she died trying.

vs crapping out. Good thing all are OK.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,261 Posts
The damage is not too severe. The bumper is bent in such a way that I can't get stuff to line up, like the old replacement headlight I have, or the clip holes on the fender cladding (which was trashed before I cut it off) with the holes in the chassis, and the distance between the front of the front wheels and the fenders is not even from driver to passenger sides. The driver's side was rubbing the front of the tire, but I was able to "persuade" it far enough away to drive. You'd need front fenders and new bumper cladding. I have a light.

Read my threads to see how much work and money I put into her. Stuff like a new cat. I have plenty of spares too, like a full set of pads, including two sets of e-brake pads and rebuild kits. Long story. She starts, stops, drives fine and everything works well. She's worth something for parts if nothing else.
Pm me an asking price. Friend needs a ride. He's Currently driving a 99 impreza with front end damage, no a.c., fenders rusted through and covered with aluminum sheet, exhaust held together with steel wool and a soup can...etc etc

This would be an upgrade for him.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pm me an asking price. Friend needs a ride. He's Currently driving a 99 impreza with front end damage, no a.c., fenders rusted through and covered with aluminum sheet, exhaust held together with steel wool and a soup can...etc etc

This would be an upgrade for him.
Upgrade indeed. It would be like moving off of his cot at the YMCA into a suite at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

Pros: She is rust free, has an Optima yellow top with a low voltage cut off switch, aftermarket HU with Bluetooth, aftermarket under the seat sub with an individual volume control, ScanGuage, new tires, exhaust incl. cat replaced a couple of years ago, heat and A/C that work like new, and the Limited version interior with the auto-dimming compass mirror, heated leather, etc. Tons of spares like OEM oil filters, extra headlights, misc parts like new in the box brake pads, etc. Meticulously maintained.

I'd make some coin (or anyone else could) parting her out, but started a new job 2 months ago and shouldn't even be taking the time to type this.

Cons: Needs body work obviously. Enough Golden Retriever hair to knit a sweater. High mileage 231K. Very slight external HG weep - never needs a drop of oil between changes. The used rack I installed seems to be leaking a bit as well. Steering is still light and nimble though.

I'll PM you.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little Red is getting closer to a new home with a great person. Yay! I'll update when the deal is done and she is home.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
Little Red is getting closer to a new home with a great person. Yay! I'll update when the deal is done and she is home.
you obliterated poor little red from you signature. and your about my car thing under your avatar. :surprise:

and no mention of a Hyundai.

you might ask XRT about putting a speed limiter on Onyx for your daughters....

or just incase Big Red's old driver decides to come out and play

Reactions: DavidPeab

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have to learn to let go. I've picked up the Honda Civic hatchback Sport Touring. Although it will never beat a WRX Sti, it is still fun to drive. I will also still drive Onyx. My daughter understands that it is just a loaner.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
We have to learn to let go. I've picked up the Honda Civic hatchback Sport Touring. Although it will never beat a WRX Sti, it is still fun to drive. I will also still drive Onyx. My daughter understands that it is just a loaner.
what is good about putting such things in your signature is: continuity of the posts.

when you look at past posts it shows the current reader what exact car you are typing of. like what a 2000 has vs. a 2003. (like the lighted ignition bezel that you added,...).

it also shows people in the present day that you are a expert previous owner of a car like theirs, when you are answering their questions,.

...like you are now expert about how not to cause battery drains in 2000-2004 cars....

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EE, are you happy now?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
EE, are you happy now?
that clears the low bar for what is called happiness. :smile2:

I think a polite sandwich with Susan Sarandon (little red) and Geena Davis (big red),....this would make me happy. ... have to get them intersted in subarus if they are not already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts