1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gen 2 forum, long time no see.

I bought "Little Red" off @DavidPeab

Friend needs a new ride and what better way than breathing new life into a forum favorite?

When I bought it it had a little damage from an accident.

(headlight already fixed in this picture)

And some damage on the fenders from a previous owner:

It's fixed now. New bumper and fender:

I need to remove the pin stripe from the new fender but it's a perfect match other wise!

I also learned today the bumper tow hook cover seems to be year specific. The one from the 2000 does not fit the newer 2003 bumper.

I need to rebuild the park brake currently. After that, I'm planning on a good cleaning.

In the mean time....

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
OMG! This is so heartwarming!
I actually felt pretty sad reading David Peab's first post about her wreck. I'd read threads about Little Red before and, well it seemed like someone you know, you know?

Glad to see she's getting fixed up and off to a good cause.

You folks are all awesome to take care of this car, and each other so well.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Little red is legendary.

It's one of those special cars that has its own business cards, sponsorship from a fuzzy dice maker, a spirit animal, a J-pop tribute band, and self-referential bumper stickers.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Code:
bumper shapes: 2000-2002, 2003-2004.

and the real scary part. Peab now stuck handing keys over for a 250hp 2008 subaru, or a new 174hp honda civic.

..and not adequate pokey old little red.
Little Red rides again! I think Brucey should continue the pin stripes around the car instead of removing the one from that "new" fender. That one replaces the fender my sister-in-law left wrecked when I inherited the car from her. Now, maybe the curse is finally lifted. I noticed the lights flickered when I signed the title over to Brucey. :)

I was planning to do a video tutorial of rebuilding the ebrakes. Now it is his responsibility. I gave him the parts and I think I even put anti-seize on the caliper bracket bolts the last time I had them off.

My kid understands that the 2008 is still my car and she is merely borrowing it. And she is never ever to put it into #S mode. I have the dash cam turned on to monitor her as well as the GPS tracking.

BTW, the Civic is 180 HP and weighs about 625 lbs less than the 245 HP Onyx, for now. Maybe some mods in the future. She is a turbo you know.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Re-Purpose

Re-Use

Recycle

Looks like little Red is going Green.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Code:
My kid understands that the 2008 is still my car and she is merely borrowing it. And she is never ever to put it into #S mode. I have the dash cam turned on to monitor her as well as the GPS tracking.

BTW, the Civic is 180 HP and weighs about 625 lbs less than the 245 HP Onyx, for now. Maybe some mods in the future. She is a turbo you know.

I guess Little Red never did get her donor leather seat shoulder bags operational.

somewhere you coined the term, driving by the "braille method" ...such technique is now even safer with curtain airbags without Little Red in the mix.

maybe Mrs. Peab's lovely thin skin junk Hyundai should be the sacrificial lamb taking the next hit for the team.

edit: and oh, the civic touring "sport" version with a few more ponies
http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code:
I was planning to do a video tutorial of rebuilding the ebrakes. Now it is his responsibility. I gave him the parts and I think I even put anti-seize on the caliper bracket bolts the last time I had them off.
I was planning on writing some DIY for the gen 5 and having video tutorials too. Then link them to each other for posterity sake.

I guess I can add a few gen 2 things in there as well!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dark phoenix has risen!

Took it for a drive this morning.

The driver head light does not work and the blinker stays on when using the signal. Both lights stay lit.

I'm going to check the bulbs now. The fuse and relay are confirmed to be good (switched with Baja and got the same symptoms)

Oddly if only one head light relay is in both head lights light but they are very dim.

I figure the wiring is damaged inside the new housing.

Looks like I know what I'm doing today!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,338 Posts
It's great to see a story with a happy ending that came about because of this forum, and that doesn't involve the words "bluetooth", "eyesight", "blind spot detect", or the like! Congrats to both @Brucey and @DavidPeab for working out the deal that will keep this viable Gen 2 roadworthy.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,251 Posts
Congrats on getting her going again. Sad to see cars get dumped before their time - especially the older ones that are easier maintain - exactly why I bought my '01's!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Head light and blinker issue fixed. Turned out to be the low beam bulb.

Replaced it, the air oil and fuel filter, the oil, the spark plug and plug wires. The rear brakes need rebuilt and I think she's ready for the road!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rebuilt the passenger rear park brake last night.

I think I see what the problem with it was.

There was no material to stop with. >:)

Going to rebuild the driver tonight.

Will likely do a write up too. I'm sure there are ones out there needing this done by now. I never wore my old ones down enough.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
So you should have done some e-brake slides at night and watch the sparks fly out of the rear drum....

Metal-on-Metal is usually quite a show.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts

Will likely do a write up too. I'm sure there are ones out there needing this done by now. I never wore my old ones down enough.
When I bought a '98 Outback I did the brakes all around (new calipers/rotors/hoses, etc). When I took the first rear disc off the parking brake shoes weren't even installed! Had to round up new hardware as well as new shoes. Funny but those parking brake shoes were more expensive than the pads! Put it all back together and they worked great!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts

Now you know why I told you not to use the parking brake. I know, a hard habit to break (if you'll pardon the pun), in WV. Don't want your vee-hicles rolling down the mountain. :)

I was going to do the tutorial until I got the new job and actually have to go into an office 2 hours away. I sold you an extra set of pads, so go ahead and trash the first one doing J turns!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parking brakes rebuilt. I filmed it but might be a bit until I can edit it together.

Noticed the hatch / trunk panel "door card" falls down now. Has anyone ever replaced the clips on them? Seems a simple job.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Parking brakes rebuilt. I filmed it but might be a bit until I can edit it together.

Noticed the hatch / trunk panel "door card" falls down now. Has anyone ever replaced the clips on them? Seems a simple job.
I have typed of it a few times here with my 2002 wagon,...that seemed to have pilot holes drilled slightly bigger then the OEM fasteners. (these are one time use fasteners).

and I actually took it back to the dealer that sold it to me a few months after i bought it to get them to put it back on.

and it lasted about a hour after I left the dealer.

I then put it on with a single row of 5 matte sheet metal screws. points facing up across the bottom where the latch meets the bumper cover area.

and it has stayed in place since 2002.

only coming off to get rid of the optional rear gate bar and fill in the holes for that.

these kind with shallow faces,

1 - 20 of 66 Posts