Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Limited over the Onyx for several reasons, mainly the upgraded stereo and I actually like the Limited wheels better than the Onyx. HOWEVER, I don't love the little silver trim at the bottom of both the front and back bumpers. I am wondering, maybe this is easy to remove and tuck away in a closet, and maybe reinstall later? Just curious if anyone has done anything with these, thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,744 Posts
I bought the Limited over the Onyx for several reasons, mainly the upgraded stereo and I actually like the Limited wheels better than the Onyx. HOWEVER, I don't love the little silver trim at the bottom of both the front and back bumpers. I am wondering, maybe this is easy to remove and tuck away in a closet, and maybe reinstall later? Just curious if anyone has done anything with these, thanks :)
Easier to plastidip them Black.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I painted the silver colored brush gauged a flat dark grayIsh to match the bumpers ...much cheaper solution that replacing it and looks way better than removing it.

IMHO, there is too much chrome on the front of the Gen 5 Outbacks and they look a ton better without it. I found a $200 mesh JDM grill and I had it painted body color match (black) including the chrome bezel. Also replaced the large blue oval subie logo with a smaller black and white oval.

Overall impact is a pretty big transformation. It just seems like the great lines on the front of the Outback get lost in all of the Chrome and other visual distractions (like the silver brush guard). Take them all away and the real Outback suddenly emerges.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Install went smooth on the rear. It’s a 15min install at best. 5 push clips. Pull out the center portion first. Then pull out the entire clip. Then pull the outward facing guard away from the bumper. Do the reverse for install. Front guard won’t be here for another week but I suspect it will be just as easy... Rear guard was only $14 at my local dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
120 Posts
Okay, so doing some digging online and taking a look at the onyx/premium/base trims against the limited/touring at the dealership- I dont think there is a black equivalent to the front under bumper guard.

It looks like Subaru has just stuck the silver one onto the front bumper. Especially when you look at the installation guide here:

I'll be taking off my bumper soon to add the onyx grill, so will report back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You may be correct on the onyx vs limited bumper guard. I went out to take mine off today however after removing the three clips I discovered is was going to be much harder to take off. Looks as though the entire bumper needs to come off. Appears there is some sort of adhesive or tape holding the top portion of the guard. What I can see is that below the bumper guard is black texture just like the onyx rear bumper guard. If you look closely at the pictures attached the black onyx bumper does in fact appear to be missing a guard all together with the limited has something put over the top of it... good eye.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey,
I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this as I’m getting very mixed reviews and answers. My 2020 premium outback has the chrome look on the grille and I’d really like to put an onyx grille on it as it looks significantly better. I’ve be told by some you cannot put it on as it’s built for the 2.4L turbo and my car has the 2.5L non turbo but I assume the sizes are all the same and could understand why you would not go the opposite direction (non turbo grille on a xt model) due to blocking of the airflow for the turbo but is there any reason I could not or would not want to put the onyx grille on a premium outback

1 - 20 of 32 Posts