Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
120 Posts
Hey,
I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this as I’m getting very mixed reviews and answers. My 2020 premium outback has the chrome look on the grille and I’d really like to put an onyx grille on it as it looks significantly better. I’ve be told by some you cannot put it on as it’s built for the 2.4L turbo and my car has the 2.5L non turbo but I assume the sizes are all the same and could understand why you would not go the opposite direction (non turbo grille on a xt model) due to blocking of the airflow for the turbo but is there any reason I could not or would not want to put the onyx grille on a premium outback
You can totally put a turbo grille on a non-turbo outback. It's the vice versa that would cause issues. They're the same size. Hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can totally put a turbo grille on a non-turbo outback. It's the vice versa that would cause issues. They're the same size. Hope this helps
Thank you, I felt like that was the reasoning behind there being 2 different sport grille part numbers. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I just want the cleaner look. I think perhaps you already posted it, but the all black onyx grille part number is 91121AN08A correct? Sorry for the repeat inquiry, just looking to be safe as the site doesn’t have any photos and I know other xt models come with the same chrome look as the premium set up.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
120 Posts
Thank you, I felt like that was the reasoning behind there being 2 different sport grille part numbers. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I just want the cleaner look. I think perhaps you already posted it, but the all black onyx grille part number is 91121AN08A correct? Sorry for the repeat inquiry, just looking to be safe as the site doesn’t have any photos and I know other xt models come with the same chrome look as the premium set up.
You have the correct part number for the onyx grille.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the Limited over the Onyx for several reasons, mainly the upgraded stereo and I actually like the Limited wheels better than the Onyx. HOWEVER, I don't love the little silver trim at the bottom of both the front and back bumpers. I am wondering, maybe this is easy to remove and tuck away in a closet, and maybe reinstall later? Just curious if anyone has done anything with these, thanks :)
that looks nice ,,,sets it off a little bit ,,,,,,i added it to my 18 outback and the parts were plastic ,,,the 20 21 look way better

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does anyone have experience using vinyl wrap /plasti-dip / hyperdip to black out the silver plastic front and rear bumper underguards, and the center silver grill bar on 20-22 Outback?

I know that the rear bumper underguard is cheap and easy to replace with the Onyx version, but it looks like removal of the front underguard is a semi-big deal.

The center silver grill bar is pretty curvy, so don't know how well vinyl wrap approach would go for a newbie. Also, I don't want to remove the grill or bumper assembly.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,998 Posts
but it looks like removal of the front underguard is a semi-big deal.
I don't think it is. The PROPER install process involves removing the bumper, but I think it can be done with the bumper on the vehicle. My dealer installed mine (I actually wanted it on my Premium) while I waited and it was only about 30 minutes.

Depending on where you live, I have the piece removed from my Premium to install the rear one, it's just consuming space in the garage. It wouldn't be cost-effective to ship it, but a local pickup would be reasonable...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think it is. The PROPER install process involves removing the bumper, but I think it can be done with the bumper on the vehicle. My dealer installed mine (I actually wanted it on my Premium) while I waited and it was only about 30 minutes.

Depending on where you live, I have the piece removed from my Premium to install the rear one, it's just consuming space in the garage. It wouldn't be cost-effective to ship it, but a local pickup would be reasonable...
That's generous of you! I'm located in SW Oregon, near Medford. Where U at?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,602 Posts
Why not just rattle-can them orange? Then you'd have a Wilderness!

• Haha
Reactions: DanteR and ragnar

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
44 Posts
Does anyone have experience using vinyl wrap /plasti-dip / hyperdip to black out the silver plastic front and rear bumper underguards, and the center silver grill bar on 20-22 Outback?
It's not too difficult. The grille, you can wrap it with vinnyl, pretty easy with a heat gun and x-acto knife..
The under guard is easiest by using masking tape + newspaper to mask the area and spray can them black. For the front, you will need to "push in" the bottom grille and remove it to make it easier to mask and spray paint.

Before you wrap/spray, make sure the surface area is super clean and you won't have any problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had no issue to remove the rear one for a trailer hitch install.
Put it back was the difficult part as I needed an extra hand for pushing the bumper cover from inside that helped to engage the clips properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
616 Posts
Replaced the silver bumper underguard in back for a black one when the hitch was installed. Got our black Onyx grille to install and remove silver front bumper underguard in the process. And add Hella horns while I'm at it. Onyx grille 91121AN08A .
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

21 - 32 of 32 Posts