Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2002 AT Outback, Red 2003 Forester, Green 2006 outback All stock, 2006 not running
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the forum! I bought an '02 MT with the hopes of repairing and driving. The PO "replaced" the timing belt and could not get it to run. It was stated that it needed a muffler as well. No biggie on both accounts as I have successfully changed belts before. After taking the belt cover off I found 2 idler bolts stripped out. One on the water pump and one directly across ( the last one with the lip). I am CONSIDERING a helicoil. I don't know if it has bent valves or not. As for the muffler, I royally screwed up by NOT rolling underneath to see that the muffler was completely gone! It rotted loose, broke and gouged in the ground and was ejected out the rear while bending the the last cross frame on the way out. :gasp: STOOPID me. I now have another 2002, AT, red that is in great shape!(lessons learned!) Think I should keep and repair the green one? The main attraction was the manual transmission. I DO have an engine from a 2006 Impreza I got with a 2003 Forester to work with. That's another story in itself:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Valves are bent if the belt came off when the engine was running. Just went through the same thing on my car.

I would helicoil though. If done correctly it's a good fix.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
if they replaced the belt and it didn't run - the back of the new belt will still have paint lines for timing and other printing likely - that MIGHT mean the stripped bolts were done on installation. Might also point to some degree of honesty. Doesn't mean it can't have bent valves.

But, if the belt does not have the paint on its back, it could be the original belt, likely points to some deceit and MORE likely does have bent valves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts