Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This funny article, (link bottom of post), got me to thinking today.....and an interview about Californians moving into "Pods". And this>Paul Joseph Watson on POD PEOPLE. 馃槼

If Subaru owners came across hard times, how long do you think that you could get by living in your Outback (or other model) down by the river, and what would it be like? 馃榿

I've mostly enjoyed car camping some 3 day weekends. I could probably stretch it out over a summer while saving for an apartment or moble home if, God forbid, something happened. It would be tough in the winter up here though. What are your thoughts on it?

Registered
Saw videos of a guy living full time in his Outback. Dude had "stuff" everywhere in the car with no room for a passenger. I'm more of a minimalist so it is doable. You just have to relearn to spend most of your time outside, regardless of the weather/bugs

Super Moderator
I lived out of mine for a week last month while we were traveling around UP Michigan.

Really wasn't that bad. But the wife and I enjoy backpacking so we're used to packing light.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Saw videos of a guy living full time in his Outback. Dude had "stuff" everywhere in the car with no room for a passenger. I'm more of a minimalist so it is doable. You just have to relearn to spend most of your time outside, regardless of the weather/bugs
Good points.
That reminds me of a nightmare that I had 2 nights ago. Thousands of mosquitoes got into the house and were chasing me like a swarm of bees until I woke up. When camping, Just one or two in the car while trying to sleep bugs me worse than than a camp full of critters.

Brucey,
That's a beautiful part of the state. I didnt have a chance, but thought that would be a really nice place to backpack when I was there. I dont think that most non-campers realize how valuable those skills sets are.

I feel bad for the homeless Americans. Funny thing is though, we get out there and choose to live out of a bag for a while for the fun of it. Its a vacation. Albeit we're fortunate to be able to go back to a warm bed when we want. Those skills and a few quality pieces of gear make a big difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just remembered an old aquaintace that used to teach at WVU. I don't know if he was a professor or not. He lived in his pickup truck so he could pay off his student loan while he taught. At least he was able to find a good job related to his major, right out of college. Most of us have a hard time finding anything in our chosen field unless you're willing to travel across the country.

Registered
Don't think I'd last too long in the Outback, definitely not a full summer. But it would better than other options I guess. That Chris Farley skit is classic. Never fails to make me laugh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think I'd last too long in the Outback, definitely not a full summer. But it would better than other options I guess. That Chris Farley skit is classic. Never fails to make me laugh.
I think David Spade would say the same. After all of those rehearsals you'd think he would be able to stay in character. He was laughing through half the monologue!馃槅
Yea, I had always hoped he and Spade would make a movie based on that character. That voice, mannerisms, timing...there's just not comedy like that anymore.

Premium Member
I just heard David Spade on a comedy clip talking about CF. Saying CF was about the same off camera as on. He described CF bugging him during the SNL days. They shared an office and DS was trying to write sketches and CF was just doing "fat guy in a little coat" over, and over ... Driving him crazy.

I find the comedy channel helps me when I am slogging my commute.

BTW, have any of you seen what an apartment costs in Denver? If I didn't have an attached garage, I might be living in 2 dead OBXT's down by the Platte.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Traildogck,

LOL! Tommy Boy!

I haven't heard. How much?
I'll bet it's going up from all that love moving there from CA. That's what retirees are doing moving here.
They say that SanFran costs too much for property taxes to retire in even from a lucrative job. They're moving here and running for office so they can run our state into the ground like theirs(. No offense to all the good people there...there's still alot.) Our Taxes went up 200% to 400% with the last assessment. we are now paying rent to the loving govt....thousands $ /year to stay in" my own" house. Auto taxes aren't nearly as much, so maybe we can start calling them "MOTOR HOMES. "LOL!
You've got 2 motor homes xt.

Young People Are Now Living In Sewer Pipes

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey guys, check this out!
Its a YouTube video 8+ minutes of a comparable, smaller sized car to an OB.....toyota Prius standard. Its very practical as he lives out of his car and travels cross country. I already have the window treatment he installed. Now Im ready to do that and the curtain next long weekend that I car camp.
Besides fuel, the biggest cost is lodging. Even if you stay at campgrounds, its very expensive for the months he'd be staying. If he can do it in a little Prius, you could do it in a larger OB.
Check it out and let us know what you think!
鈽 馃檪 馃憤

1 - 10 of 10 Posts