Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a base trim 2019 Outback and want to listen to live streaming audio from cable news programs such as CNN, MSNBC, etc from my android phone through the infotainment system and I don't want to use the Starlink app. I know I can always use little wireless speakers like Altec's Baby Boom, but it would be nice to use the in car audio system instead.

Also, I realize Tunein has internet radio, but I don't need all of that. I just want to listen to the live streaming cable news.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you looked to see if your streaming app works with Android Auto? I use 3 or 4 different apps to stream music when I have AA running. Google Play, Doubletwist (plays my local to phone music), Amazon and something else I can't remember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you looked to see if your streaming app works with Android Auto? I use 3 or 4 different apps to stream music when I have AA running. Google Play, Doubletwist (plays my local to phone music), Amazon and something else I can't remember.
There's a lot of live streaming audio content with no app needed on the internet. You can go to a website and listen to their live cable TV broadcast with only an internet connection... no app. I'm trying to listen to that audio through my car infotainment system instead of directly from my phone as I'm driving so I don't have to be playing with a cell phone to adjust volume and what not... there's no app involved.

I'm wondering if there's maybe a third party app that will accomplish what I want or if I can do it without an app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kept at it looking through the manual and going online for answers... turns out it was too easy. :)

I just needed to access the Media screen from the Home screen while connected via Bluetooth and yeah, I'm happy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took it one step further and used the TuneIn app with Android Auto for live TV and radio broadcasts. This way I can put my phone away in the center console and control everything through the multimedia display... avoiding the Starlink app at all costs.

·
Registered
992 Posts
You can easily say in AA (providing Tunein is loaded on your phone) "Play MSNBC on Tunein". Other news orgs are supported. If you have a favorite radio station from where you're originally from, it's probably available via Tunein.

I think this works even if you don't use AA.

I really don't get the SXM value story... I find the audio quality of SXM to be pretty sketchy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can easily say in AA (providing Tunein is loaded on your phone) "Play MSNBC on Tunein". Other news orgs are supported. If you have a favorite radio station from where you're originally from, it's probably available via Tunein.

I think this works even if you don't use AA.

I really don't get the SXM value story... I find the audio quality of SXM to be pretty sketchy.
Yeah, I have Tunein on my Note 9 and I'm using AA with it... it's great. One small niggly 1st world announce is the fact that I wish there was a USB port for the head unit (not power USB port) in the center console instead of running a USB cable from the port under the A/C controls to the console hold. Not a big deal, but Subaru could have done better than having us run cables from the front of the console to the back of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts