Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what your LL Bean 2003 idles at.

1. in park
2. in drive

AFTER it has warmed up about 10 minutes or more.

Mine is at 350 to 450 which seems pretty low and you can feel the engine struggle just " slightly"

Appreciate everyones help

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I am trying to find out what your LL Bean 2003 idles at.

1. in park
2. in drive

AFTER it has warmed up about 10 minutes or more.

Mine is at 350 to 450 which seems pretty low and you can feel the engine struggle just " slightly"

Appreciate everyones help
Are you going by the tachometer? If so, your estimate is probably very low. My 2004 L.L. Bean looked like it was idling around 400 when stopped in traffic without the A/C running, but when I put the OBDII scanner on it, it was actually more like 600 RPM.

It was much more noticeable when it was warmer out. I don't have the car anymore, so I can't check exact numbers unfortunately.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you jp1203.......................yes ...going by the tach..........................CNY Dave....says his is about the same as well........might just be how it is on that model.......my wifes 2006 2.5 is about 500....by the tach.............maybe its a subaru thing ?

appreciate your response...it saves all of us sometimes from going to dealer....SO important to share info.....

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Yeah, I would never trust your cluster to be 100% accurate on anything on any car. Verify everything by being able to compare... an OBD2 scanner (I use Torque Pro on my Android phone) for checking temperature and RPM, a GPS for speed, etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True...................but at idle..........it almost " feels" ....like its starving for fuel to idle smoother.........crazy subaru..................

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my wifes 2006 2.5 idles low as well.............might just be a " Subaru" thing......anybody else?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave...much appreciated.....wonder why mine is so low.

Any Ideas ?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
Do these even have an idle-air-controller?

Maybe the TPS is bad right at the bottom of the range?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes.... I replaced ( dealer) Iacv valve, Throttle sensor, plugs..................no light in dash.........scan tool shows..........no codes detected........

remember the good old days....when you could turn a screw to set idle...................

engineers........ugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts