Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in today to buy an Outback only to find that when they tried filling out the Purchase order the computer would not let them choose the Interior Illumination kit and Side sill plates ... WTF Are you kidding me ? I go in to buy a car and walk out without a car. They better get their sh.. together. I got a great deal only it's not a deal until $ is exchanged. So for now I got nothing !! No one seems to know the WHY !

·
Registered
228 Posts
What other options were selected? It's possible that the same connector is used for multiple options, so you just can't select them at the same time. It's a shame that the salesperson didn't know and wasn't willing or able to find out for you why those options couldn't be selected together.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
What other options were selected? It's possible that the same connector is used for multiple options, so you just can't select them at the same time. It's a shame that the salesperson didn't know and wasn't willing or able to find out for you why those options couldn't be selected together.
^ what he said

Also many of the options are dealer installed anyway even if you order the car with the item - it arrives at the dealer with said item in the trunk and the dealer puts it on the car.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Now and then, out of curiosity mostly, I do an online build of some car I might like to have (recently I "built" a tricked-out Audi Q5, for example), and it's always annoying when certain interior colors aren't available with certain exterior colors, or some accessories require certain (awful) colors, or options that I want are incompatible with each other.

In the end, it means that I'll never seriously consider that particular car to buy. It's too bad Subaru is in this same mode now. HPH

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Now and then, out of curiosity mostly, I do an online build of some car I might like to have (recently I "built" a tricked-out Audi Q5, for example), and it's always annoying when certain interior colors aren't available with certain exterior colors, or some accessories require certain (awful) colors, or options that I want are incompatible with each other.

In the end, it means that I'll never seriously consider that particular car to buy. It's too bad Subaru is in this same mode now. HPH
Ford and GM learned the hard way that offering infinite number of vehicle combinations makes for an expensive and complicated inventory system full of waste and mistakes.

So what your saying is that you will only ride a custom built bicycle to your specs?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I've toyed around the same way with the various car configurators, and I came to a similar result: there's just too much bundling and blocking in modern car option selection these days.

Usually after a bit of monkeying around with the websites, I'd get frustrated and wind up dialing it back to a stripped out base model and then start looking at aftermarket upholstery & accessories to make it the way I'd want it.

Maybe Ford and GM went too far with option branching, but it seems like many brands aren't going far enough. I wish there was a better balance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many good comments and questions !! First, This should NOT be a compatability issue because I did not order EYESIGHT which is incompatible with the Interior illumination kit. Second, this is basically a stripped down 3.6R Limited with Moonroof & Navigation. When you order BOTH Interior Illumination kit AND Side Sill Plates you choose Accessory Code "LR9" Which uses only (1) electrical harness for both accessories. The only other accessory is the Puddle Lights. The car and these, That's it. The reason is I discoverd I can purchase either better quality aftermarket accessories or save 30-60 percent on OEM accessories simply by searching online. Since the car is DEFINATELY a factory order I have 6-12 weeks to order the accessory add-on's. Sorry about the verbose content.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope I'm wrong but, this was totally an internet dealing. Then Tuesday I decided to move on the dealers offer of $32,343 on an MSRP of $36,179. When I arrived at the dealership the Internet saleman was off that day. I figured no big deal It's just placing a factory order right ? At some point they offered me a car arriving in a week with a bunch of "TYPICAL' accessories on it for like practically $50 bucks more ! Who would'nt jump at that deal ???? Me, because I knew how EXPENSIVE those Interior lights, side sill plates and puddle lights are too install. Next thing I know they can not get the computer to cooperate to send off the order.... I'm thinking WTF Maybe their sales manager had no idea they were NOT going to make much $$$ on me and realized on top of ME getting a good deal the dealership might incur the cost of installing those EXOTIC lighting accessories. I don't know but it smelled of a stall tactic to find a way to wiggle out of this deal alltogether ! The dealership made no offers of Installing the items if they can't be installed at the build time. I mean REALLY ?? A dealership NOT wanting to take money for a deposit on a car ??? NO promises of "Hey, don't worry, if we have to we will simply make sure you get what you want. NO !! nothing like that at all. I think they are trying to get out of the deal. Who cares ? I just sent the Internet salesman a note indicating my latest offer is NOW $35,581 to his $35,965 Out The Door pricing in pricey Washington 9.5%+ sales tax. How happy do you think he will be when he shows up for work and finds his incompetant coworkers can't place a simple freakin new car order ???

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
King County is 9.5%. Sno and Pierce counties are significantly cheaper (I paid under 8.6%, a difference of $300).

It sounds like you found one of our many bad dealers.

·
Registered
714 Posts
King County is 9.5%. Sno and Pierce counties are significantly cheaper (I paid under 8.6%, a difference of $300).

It sounds like you found one of our many bad dealers.
In my experience (which isn't in Washington state), the licensing process evens out the sales tax -- you wind up paying whatever tax rate there is where you live, not where you purchase the car. HPH

·
Registered
166 Posts
In my experience (which isn't in Washington state), the licensing process evens out the sales tax -- you wind up paying whatever tax rate there is where you live, not where you purchase the car. HPH
This is true here in IL....even if I buy my Subaru up in Cook Co. with its big sales tax bump to line the pockets of Rahm & Co.* I pay just the standard IL base state rate of 6.25% (which is all my little agricultural county charges).

*That's right. If I'm driving to Chicago, I make sure I've got a full tank of gas before I leave, so I can get back downstate without having to buy a tank of their tax-bumped fuel.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to shoehorn you into a car already in their pipeline vs ordering what you want. The combo illumination option LR9 is available on the car you are looking at. It is not a very common option on dealer cars. You should not pay more than invoice for it on an a factory car. Dealers are not always willing to offer the same on the lot. They want their service department to be paid for labor on top of the parts cost..

I would sit down with the dealer rep and tell them you have contacted SOA and other dealers to confirm the options you want are available on a special order and are they going to order you one at the agreed upon price?? Get straight to the point and don't let them waste any more of your time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That might be true outside of WA, but in WA we pay county taxes from where you buy... not where you live. We are not allowed to go to OR and buy a car for no tax however.

Lower sales tax is a marketing approach here for that reason. Still it might make more sense to use that as a bargaining chip which can even out the deal anyway.

My parents bought a car in Anacortes (about 100 miles north from where they live, passing 30 or so dealers) for that very reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That might be true outside of WA, but in WA we pay county taxes from where you buy... not where you live. We are not allowed to go to OR and buy a car for no tax however.

Lower sales tax is a marketing approach here for that reason. Still it might make more sense to use that as a bargaining chip which can even out the deal anyway.

My parents bought a car in Anacortes (about 100 miles north from where they live, passing 30 or so dealers) for that very reason.
Same in Ohio, I live in Cuyahoga (Cleveland) and I went to the county south to buy my Subaru where the sales tax is over 1% lower and I was charged the sales tax from the county of purchase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Wash it's where you buy and I'm saving about $350 buying in Vancouver, WA VS KING county where I live. That's Seattle Metropolitan area for you out of towners. FINALLY settled on a price of $32,150 for 13' OB 3.6R Limited with Moon Roof & NAV + Puddle lts., Interior Illumination Kit. I will buy the Illuminated Side Sill Plates myself for about $160 and have my mechanic install. Not paying Subaru their desired $630 for same install. Dealer did'nt want to install for free. Salesman not knowledgeable about what the PORT is or isn't installing before they are quoting prices to potential purchusers- that's where the problem lies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
shotdown
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing