Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm trying to find the fuel pump relay on my 2006 outback. I've been getting intermittent starting problems finally changed the fuel pump but no luck. Now the car finally stopped starting altogether and a friend told me its probably the relay. I got a relay from Napa, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the silly thing goes. :confused:

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks a bunch!

-Mahlon

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Paging Plain OM... Dr. Plain OM, electrical wizard... please report to the thread...

(I don't know where the relay goes, but I bet Plain OM does)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Paging Plain OM... Dr. Plain OM, electrical wizard... please report to the thread...

(I don't know where the relay goes, but I bet Plain OM does)
:19:

First thing I thought of too.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
"You called, master?" LOL!

Hi guys, I'm trying to find the fuel pump relay on my 2006 outback. I've been getting intermittent starting problems finally changed the fuel pump but no luck. Now the car finally stopped starting altogether and a friend told me its probably the relay. I got a relay from Napa, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the silly thing goes.
The fuel pump relay is located on far the right side of the dashboard, and is sort of accessible by removing the end cover to the right of the glove compartment, but it's still a dog to get to. (Start reading from this post -- there's photos lower down of the location, and further on a diagram of the relays from opposedforces, but note that the orientation of the fuse panel seems to change.

However, what makes you think it's the relay? Only a friend's guess? That's okay for a start, but before changing parts, why not try to verify the possibility?

When the ignition key is turned to ON but not to START, the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds and then stop. It can be heard as a noticeable hum, especially if the car is in a garage or in a quiet area. Have you checked to see if it runs? Similarly, it should be running when the key is turned to START. (Might need someone to listen more closely because the sound of the starter turning will probably drown out the hum.) If that works, then the relay is not likely the problem, unless you've checked and found the fuel pressure to be low, and even then there could be other reasons such as a defective fuel pressure regulator.

Starting problems can be caused by other issues, such as no spark due to a failing crank or cam sensor, and I believe even a bad knock sensor.

When you say "intermittent starting problems" and "the car finally stopped starting altogether" do you mean it turns over (starter motor cranks the engine but the engine doesn't fire and start running on its own) or do you mean it doesn't even turn over (starter motor isn't turning the engine)?

Was the CEL light or any other warning light on in the past when the car did start? Have you checked for any trouble codes that might be stored in the OBD memory?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
Mahlon, do you by any chance start the car, move it a few feet, turn it off to get out to close a garage door or gate or ??? Then return to the car to restart it and drive away? That can create a flooded engine condition. Holding the gas pedal to the floor while starting will clear the excess fuel and start the car where 'normal' starting attempts will be difficult/intermittent. I could see this scenario being worse in the winter when the car sends additional fuel to a cold engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"You called, master?" LOL!

The fuel pump relay is located on far the right side of the dashboard, and is sort of accessible by removing the end cover to the right of the glove compartment, but it's still a dog to get to. (Start reading from this post -- there's photos lower down of the location, and further on a diagram of the relays from opposedforces, but note that the orientation of the fuse panel seems to change.

However, what makes you think it's the relay? Only a friend's guess? That's okay for a start, but before changing parts, why not try to verify the possibility?

When the ignition key is turned to ON but not to START, the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds and then stop. It can be heard as a noticeable hum, especially if the car is in a garage or in a quiet area. Have you checked to see if it runs? Similarly, it should be running when the key is turned to START. (Might need someone to listen more closely because the sound of the starter turning will probably drown out the hum.) If that works, then the relay is not likely the problem, unless you've checked and found the fuel pressure to be low, and even then there could be other reasons such as a defective fuel pressure regulator.

Starting problems can be caused by other issues, such as no spark due to a failing crank or cam sensor, and I believe even a bad knock sensor.

When you say "intermittent starting problems" and "the car finally stopped starting altogether" do you mean it turns over (starter motor cranks the engine but the engine doesn't fire and start running on its own) or do you mean it doesn't even turn over (starter motor isn't turning the engine)?

Was the CEL light or any other warning light on in the past when the car did start? Have you checked for any trouble codes that might be stored in the OBD memory?
So I have a question for you now okay when I'm driving down the road and I go to slow down or almost stop to to make a turn or just slow down but most of the time it's when I go to turn I've almost got t-boned a couple of times because of this but sometimes my car shuts off but will start right back up what would that be? My boyfriend went and got the fuel relay cuz someone told him that that's what it was but I'm thinking maybe it's just the fuel filter do you have any idea???

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
My boyfriend went and got the fuel relay cuz someone told him that that's what it was . . .do you have any idea???
No idea, all the more so without knowing what car/engine etc this is about.

However, it's rare for the fuel pump relay to fail that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts