Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited 2.5 5 speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Outbackers,

Recently, my 01 Outback wagon started making noise from the door. I finally noticed that the cylinder for the driver's side lock has fallen into the door and has been rattling around. It's not an urgent problem as the key fob works and I could always unlock from the passenger side. But is this a problem that I should attempt to solve at home, or should I just be a sucker and pay the dealer to fix it? Any notes from personal experience or otherwise would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
856 Posts
I had the exact same problem. The door panel is VERY easy to remove, and from there it's just a 10mm bolt that holds the cylinder into the external door handle. Fish around inside the door to find the bolt and the cylinder, and reinstall. I believe there's a rod that connects to the cylinder as well; shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
This just happened to my 01 as well. Easy to retrieve it and place it back in the door but a pain to get the 10mm bolt back in. I placed the lock and bolt into the door together while keeping a finger on the bolt. I then threaded the bolt in by hand and was able to get a 10mm ignition wrench in the tight area to finishing tightening it. Should be good for another 200k. HAHA.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i have not worked with a 00 - 04 door lock set yet.

but on the 95 - 99 legacys / outbacks there is a bolt that holds it and the door handle in place.

there is alos a spring clip that holds the lock set in place as well. and i have been driving around for 7 years with only the spring clip holding the lock set in place.

the bolts are so hard to install, i gave up on them .

the other bolt holding the door handle in is not hard to reinstall.

check opposedforces.com/parts to see if there is a spring clip on your car.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
856 Posts
I don't remember a spring clip when I reinstalled mine. Just the one bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts