Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just traded in our 2011 outback limited to a 2013 limited. When stopped at a store we tried to get out of the car but couldn't. The doors were locked but when you pull the handle it won't let you out unless you unlock them. On our 2011 it would open. Actually all our subaru's up to this point did. Is this a new 'Feature'. can it be fixed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,062 Posts
My 2003 has to be unlocked before the door handle will let you out. My wife's '95 is the same way, too. Seems to not be too new....

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No subaru I have ever owned or ridden in since the 70's Subarus had door locks that unlock when you pull the inside handle. You must always unlock the car first then pull the door handle.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
haven't tried it on my WRX

03 Outback def. will NOT let you out unless you manually or electrically unlock the door.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
My '04 Outback has to be unlocked manually from the inside, same with my friend's '09 Forester.

Edit: Come to think of it, the only cars I can recall driving that unlocked the door when you pulled the handle were Ford products. My '99 Grand Prix locks the doors when you take it out of park and then unlocks them when you put it back in park, my '95 Grand Prix locked the doors when taken out of park and then unlocked them when you shut the key off.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
I found this to be a surprise as well - this is the my first Subaru, but the first car i've owned that didn't unlock when locked for the front doors.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Yeah, I found this annoying as well. I miss this feature from my VW. Course, I could understand why everyone would flip about auto-locks if they had to unlock the car before they could get out. Versus just pulling on the handle twice to get out.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
87 Posts
The doors don't lock automatically after hitting a certain speed either, I wanted the dealer to program my 2011 Outback to do so but they said that it was a safety thing and they wouldn’t do it.

As far as cars that I owned that would open from the inside by pulling the handle when locked:
Ford
Chrysler

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
So we just traded in our 2011 outback limited to a 2013 limited. When stopped at a store we tried to get out of the car but couldn't. The doors were locked but when you pull the handle it won't let you out unless you unlock them. On our 2011 it would open. Actually all our subaru's up to this point did. Is this a new 'Feature'. can it be fixed?

Thanks!
Saw the title and thought someone had made the same stupid mistake I did the other day, but mine was a different issue. I have the child locks on in the back, and closed the door behind me to buckle my daughter in her car seat since it was pouring out. Of course I was then "locked" in the back seat, so I ended up reaching through to turn on the car and roll down the rear window, allowing me to access the outside door handle. Won't make that mistake again!

For the issue you're talking about, I found it irritating at first coming from Hondas and Toyotas that automatically unlock, though I've just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I'm loosing it...But both my wife and I looked at each other confused so we thought it was a new feature. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Lol - when I first read the title it reminded me of this family guy clip:

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
I find this annoying as well. My van and my VW TDI (now my son in-law and daughter's TDI) lock at ~20 mph and unlock with a pull of the lever. I like this. If this is a safety issue, why do other vehicles do it?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I find this annoying as well. My van and my VW TDI (now my son in-law and daughter's TDI) lock at ~20 mph and unlock with a pull of the lever. I like this. If this is a safety issue, why do other vehicles do it?
Personally, I think it's safer that they DON'T lock. I want to be able to get out of my car at anytime, regardless of key operation. Others argue it's safer so someone can't carjack you. Luckily I don't live in an area where this is a concern :29:

Some manufacturers look at safety from different angles. IMO I think it's more of a "simple is better" mantra that Subaru tends to stick to. Door handles that mechanically unlock the door when pulling are another piece that can break.

There are lots of threads about that debate.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
yeah, I would prefer a system that , well, optionally, allowed for locking at lower speeds, but unlocked at highway speeds. That might reduce the need for emergency personnel to use the 'jaws of life' to cut me out of a wreck.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
IIRC the reason why every GM with power locks has done that since the very early 90s, GM said was because it would help prevent the doors from flying open in an accident. I just found it annoying and an easy way to accidentally lock your keys in the ignition (guilty, didn't have a spare either).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts