Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited CVT auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a call at work from my wife who is very upset that her new OB with less than 800 miles won't move.
Being a few miles from where she is I run out of work to where she is setting at an intersection with the flashers on and about in tears.
She says that it will run but won't move so I get in and start it and it's making a funny noise other than the normal engine noise so I put it in gear and it kills the engine dead, I try it again and the same thing so I call Subaru and they send a tow truck to haul it to the dealer.
I go in and tell the service manager what the problem is and he gives me the usual look of that has never happened before so he gathers up a few mechanics to go out and help push it in so one of the mechanics starts it and puts it in gear and it kills the engine so now we have about 6 guys who saw it happen.
So they give us a loaner and they will look at it the next morning being that it was about 15 mins before closing.
The next morning the wife gets a call from the dealer and they say nothing is wrong with it now, runs and drives fine but they have a call into Subaru Tech but have not heard anything since.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Sounds like a possible Torque convertor Lock up issue. I assume that the Auto in your car is a CVT, though all automatics have a torque convertor which is essentially a clutch they have a lock up feature for improved fuel economy. I wonder of the convertor locked and for some reason didn't unlock until it cooled down overnite?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,260 Posts
They will need to remove and replace the valve body. The TCC clutch solenoid locked on keeping pressure on the clutch. The reaction of killing the engine is like holding the brake on a manual and letting off the clutch. If they don't replace the valve body or at least the TCC solenoid, it will happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the verdict is we can't find anything wrong with it so here is your car back and let us know if it happens again.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
How odd, the only thing i can come up with is the lock up torque converter too. May be electircal in nature, like a stuck solenoid in the valve body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How odd, the only thing i can come up with is the lock up torque converter too. May be electircal in nature, like a stuck solenoid in the valve body.
I agree but no code no fix

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
No code no fix is not true. No problem no fix. Codes are just tools. They are not the soultion to an issue. In my head i can come up with a few 100 scenarios of failure that would not throw a code. This may never throw a code as it may not be electrical in nature.

but if the failure is not aparent long enough to diagnose, then no fix. Any mechanic who says no code no fix is lazy. No sympton no fix I can understand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I would really like to know is when or at what speed or engine load the converter goes into lockup, it seems like it locks up rather quick.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
This is the CVT?

If so it locks up really early as unlike the multi reared transmissions there is no shift shock to worry about.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Found this, granted this is Austrailia and they drive upside down which much make much havoc for fluids :D but there are some cvts in the XV having the same issue.

This may be a really new issue that subaru has yet to get a handle on or get back to them yet.

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...V-CVT-Juddering-Lurching-jerking-at-low-speed

They also seem to have auto stop/start but i think that it may not be related to that.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Lockup is pretty easy to see. If you let off on the gas and the engine revs drop sharply, you aren't in lockup. If you left up on the gas and the engine revs stay pretty constant and slowly drops with a slight speed drop, the converter is locked up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like I can feel it shortly after taking off from a stop, it's the only kind of normal feeling shift it does having the CVT so 7-12 mph is just about right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the converter unlock on touching the brake or at a certain speed while slowing down?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
If it continues to be a problem, I would go to the dealership, hand them the keys, and pick out another one. Subaru makes some of the best cars on the planet, but nobody's perfect. Don't get discouraged by the issues you are having. You picked a wonderful car, but perhaps fell into that .01% margin of error factor. Stay with your Subaru, for it will stay with you for a long time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts