Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(apologies to Subhuman for borrowing his thread title)

The skinny: I'm closing on a new house (with a 30x30 two-bay workshop--yaaay!) in 2 weeks. I'd like to get my down payment up to 20% to avoid PMI. I've got lots of parts, a few cars, a lot of them I'd rather not move.

Interesting stuff first:

-2005 "saabaru" (saab 9-2x). 90k miles, auto trans, hit right front, pushed the bumper beam back about 10" at the outside. This is pretty much a WRX wagon with Saab interior and front sheetmetal. The interior is super-swanky. . . nice leather seats and door cards. Can hear the engine run and lot drive it but the radiator sprung a leak and the drive belt broke in the crash so the alt and PS pump aren't working. You CAN'T drive it home (some guy actually asked if he could).

This car was bought at auction through a dealer friend, so if you have any inclination to put it back on the road, sales tax will need to be paid if you're a TN resident, or when you register it in your own state if not. If you're buying it to part out and it'll NEVER go back on the road, we can dodge the tax. You will not get a title/salvage certificate if you go this route.

$2500 takes the whole car. Great swap fodder if you have an Outback Sport. Don't really want to part it out just yet but if you want something expensive enough to motivate me to start pulling bits off it AND you won't flake out on me, we'll talk.

LONG BLOCK SOLD VIA NASIOC.COM-2004 Forester 2.5XT long block w. turbo, burned. Fire damaged most of the wiring and some of the plastic bits, but didn't get hot enough to melt the VC gaskets, or the coolant hoses going to the turbo (which I also have). Engine and cams turn over just fine. This would compliment the above nicely. . . yank the heads off, swap the short block over to the Saabaru 2.0 mill and have an ad-hoc STi engine (minus the AVCS) $400 long block, turbo $200.

-2001 3.0 H6 engine with complete front body wiring harness and all computers (ECU, TCU, VDC, ABS), radiator, condensor, and Y-pipe. 149k miles, ran great, squeaky belt tensioner. Nice swap for a 2nd gen Outback if yours has bad headgaskets or ate the valves after a timing belt failure. $500. Y-pipe alone has $150 worth of cats in it.

1997 Outback wagon, limited. No engine, good auto trans. 123k miles. Black. Been using it as a parts car. Front sheetmetal is gone or in poor condition. Interior is intact and clean. $200 gets heated leather seats and door cards. NO TONNEAU COVER (sorry, get asked about those all the time). Anything else, just ask.

SOLD TO KREGGOR! 2001 VDC wagon McIntosh audio system, includes head unit, subwoofer, amplifier, HU-to-amp DIN cable, front door speakers, tweeters, and a pared-out harness (it's integrated into the body harness. . .it's kind of a PITA to strip it out) to hook it up into whatever you want. Rear door speakers are available (I inadvertently left them in a car I sold to a co-worker, but I could indian-give-take-them-back. Front door speakers have foam surrounds that have deteriorated. . which they're rebuildable for about $25/pair, but I'd probably just replace them with some nice Clarion (which is who built this under McIntosh's name anyway) coax speakers. $200 shipped gets the whole kit.

Probably have more stuff too but this is what comes to mind. More pics to follow.

POST "DIBS" to this thread if you're sure you want something. Text or email (preferred) or call for faster response if you have a question. email: [email protected], cell 865-335-5454.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey Medic good luck on the new digs! The housing market is way Up I hope you found a hidden property that hasn't been hit by the recent RE boom. LOL

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Subiesailor,

are you ***ing me? The place I'm buying I got for $32,000 UNDER county appraisal. . . it had been on the market for 2 years! Plus the interest is 2.75% so it'll be dirt cheap no matter what, but I'd love to not pay the extra $100/mo for PMI.

Different situation in Frisco I take it? One of my clients calls me from Torrance regularly. . . average joe who sweats for a living like me. . . I'm pretty sure I could buy my place 3x over with what he'll pay in interest on his. But, that's Cali. Beautiful place to live, they say!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey Subiesailor,

are you ***ing me? The place I'm buying I got for $32,000 UNDER county appraisal. . . it had been on the market for 2 years! Plus the interest is 2.75% so it'll be dirt cheap no matter what, but I'd love to not pay the extra $100/mo for PMI.

Different situation in Frisco I take it? One of my clients calls me from Torrance regularly. . . average joe who sweats for a living like me. . . I'm pretty sure I could buy my place 3x over with what he'll pay in interest on his. But, that's Cali. Beautiful place to live, they say!
Good stuff then!! Yes since about March CA market and a few others across the US have gone off the deep end on RE pricing. Places around us have been selling before the open house 1-2 days on the market for 50-30K over ask wife and I are just shaking our heads. LOL the bottom was December 09 when we bought its been getting more expensive since. We bought a 2b 2ba condo for her dad in March this year it was a mad scramble we made the offer the day it was listed $280K the prior 2bd 2ba sold in 2010 3 days on the market for over 400K. We closed in mid March and that week another 2bd 2ba sold for over 500K! I thought for sure that place would get reduced into the low 400's at least. LOL

People are freaking nutz out here

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First house buying experience for me. I bought the building my store is in back in 2006 for $60k, then pretty much gutted the place and rehab'd it over the course of about 4 years, finally move in in 2010. Difference was I didn't finance it, just handed the guy a cashier's check. Title co. charged me $75 I think. . .

So I got this place for $108k (4ac with 1750 sf. house with attached carport and a 30x30 block workshop, plus a 10x60 barn for storing slow moving stuff. . like horses lol!), financing it so there are mortgage co's and realtors involved. . . bottom line the same process involves a lot more paperwork, paying for a lot more stuff (like appraisals, termite inspections, suveys, etc.) and this time closing costs are about $3,500! Probably nothing to bitch about, just wishing I had the cash to just buy the place outright to avoid all this crap.

Trying to save what I can as I plan on doing some remodeling inside, put a better HVAC unit in, that sorta thing. Won't have much left over for that stuff after putting $23k down, so hence the fire sale.

The other crap thing I found out in all this. . . can't use cash for a down payment. Mortgage co. asked why I kept $$$ around as cash? Because I buy broken cars a lot and people on Craigslist don't take checks! Anyway, more silliness. Have to trade my cash for "aged" money from my parents. :roll:

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
in order to avoid PMI, i suggest you take out a small note / loan against your store so you have the 20% down. you could also use the value there to afford your renovations. it may be a little late to pull it off, but it may not.

a line of credit against the value of the store building would give you the cash you need and the ability to pay it off as soon as you can. and then the line of credit would be sitting there with a $0 balance in case you ever needed short term money. it works way better than a credit card. but is sounds as though you don't use them either.

just a thought.

i am mildly interested in the 97 leather interior. would you consider throwing in the carpet, if in good condition, and meeting me in bristol next weekend, all for $225? i could do mid-day/ mid-week as well but i assumed you work all the time.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
if i had cash right now id buy the 2.5xt longblock and turbo, but 8 months til i graduate and then who knows how long til im working again.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seller's anxious to close (perhaps because of having it listed for so long), so probably too late to get a loan against the business. Plus, borrowing against it means getting it inspected, appraised, and probably a whole host of other things the bank will pass the cost of onto me.

It's **** trying to get *any* mortgage when you're self employed. Even though my company is 9 years old, an LLC, and I pay myself a steady salary for 7 of those years which are easily documented with pay stubs, tax returns, whatnot, I still had to send in 3 years personal tax returns, 3 years business, 12 months bank statements (business and personal), 30 days pay stubs, and tax cards on the building the business is in and the rental property behind it.

In short, I HATE asking banks for money. I'd rather not have two notes to pay on, plus closing costs on the loan against the shop, etc. I can pull it off with what I've got, it'll just clean me out. Hence the sale. I do use credit cards and have a small (10k) line of credit on a signature loan at the bank, but the interest is kinda high (9%) so I try to stay out of it. Plus I just bought a new work truck for the shop and a new sidewinder key machine. . . that was 18k between the two of them. . .and haven't even gotten around to outfitting the new truck yet. Short of it is I'm probably buying too much stuff all at once but some family drama has pushed me to move a little sooner than expected.

I'd throw the carpet in (it is in good shape) with the leather interior for the asking price (200), but prefer not to drive 6 hours to sell it if I didn't have another reason to go there, which at the moment I don't. I could probably get it as far as Morristown (about 1 1/2 hours from Bristol--80 miles from me here) by shuffling it through a couple of friends if you wanted to do that.

Bradze,

Yeah, I feel you. What's your major?

All:

Finally figured out Google's new picassa stuff. Links to pics of the Saabaru (which a lot of people have asked about)

https://plus.google.com/photos/1035...s/5765185114783896737?authkey=CKHi4oba-ujQ9gE

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Got a 00-04 Outback H6 (probably same as H4) spare tire?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a couple. They're attached to the rim. . and I can't really see breaking it down to ship but suppose that's your call. $10 + shipping gets the whole thing. . .if you want it broken down I'd say $20+ shipping (tire store will charge me for breaking it down plus I've gotta schlep it over there then down to work to ship).

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon H4, base model | 2006 Forrester H4 Premium with moon roof
44 Posts
What do you have as far as radios that will go into a 2000 OBW ? Or have I missed the boat on this one?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.