Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly accumulating parts to rebuild the engine on my XT and I'm looking for some advice, guidance or snark.

My stock EJ255 engine is mostly original with ~125k miles on it. At some time prior to me purchasing it in 2013, a mechanic performed a burnt valve replacement and cracked the head around one of the valve cover bolt holes. They did a decent job stopping the oil leaking for a while, however it started leaking slowly onto the exhaust header about a year after I bought it.

That putty is the "repair" from the previous mechanic.

Recently, within the past few months the leak has gotten much, much worse, to the point where I'm needing to add a quart of oil a month and leaving huge puddles of oil where I park. I've been putting together a parts list and pile that I'm going to try and accomplish when I pull the engine to fix the leak.

Firstly, to fix the leak, I've purchased a replacement set of heads off of a '06 WRX that are in very good condition. However, they did not come with any valves or associated parts. They are completely bare. While I am upgrading, I'm not anticipating increasing power output very much. I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible. That said, I want to put in a decent set of valves, springs, etc. that won't break the bank, but aren't cheap Chinese crap. I've looked at several different types and am really at a loss as to what is good and what to stay away from.

What valves/springs have any of you used? I'm not looking for oversized, just stock. What all other parts will I need, like oil seals and the like? I will need all of it.

Here's a quick rundown of what I've got and what my plans are:

1. New turbo. I'm thinking of getting a BNR 16g to replace my stock turbo. My stock one seems fine, haven't noticed any shaft play, but to me it's a ticking time bomb and want to get rid of it before it grenades my engine. I've already purchased an Infamous oil line. Are there other turbos that I should consider? Again, not looking to go crazy with power, I'd rather have reliability, but also want to spend no more than $1k.

2. TGV Delete. Already purchased a set and they will go on with the rebuild.

3. Up/Down pipes. Purchased a used Perrin catless up and am looking for a catted down pipe. Leaning towards the Invidia.

4. Oil pan/pickup. My stock oil pan looks to have taken a beating at some point in the past and looks pretty rough, and if I'm going to put a new pan, might as well get one of those nice new pickups that don't have a cracking problem. Should I go with the standard stock pan?

5. Clutch. I've noticed when it's cold and I put it in first gear, I get a chatter-like grab and it kind of jerks until it's warmed up. It only happens in first gear. I'm planning on doing the entire thing, resurface flywheel, throwout bearing, plate, etc. Any suggestions as to staying stock or going aftermarket? I was looking at the Exedy FJK1001 kit.

6. Timing belt. The car had the timing belt service done prior to my purchase, but I don't know if everything was done properly, such as the pulleys and such, so I'll just do it all so that I know for certain.

Once done I am planning of course on getting it tuned, most likely by XRT.

Anything else I should look at preventative maintenance/upgrades when I pull the engine? I really don't want to have to take it out more than once, maybe twice.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,099 Posts
Excellent choice regarding XRT Tuning...big fan here. Welcome to that fold. Your list looks solid...post...progress. Post setbacks...(look who's talking)

I look forward to checking in. I have wrenched all of my work myself...along with ed the whole way...PM me if you want to chat...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent choice regarding XRT Tuning...big fan here. Welcome to that fold. Your list looks solid...post...progress. Post setbacks...(look who's talking)

I look forward to checking in. I have wrenched all of my work myself...along with ed the whole way...PM me if you want to chat...
I'm glad you chimed in. Your Frank build has been a lot of the inspiration that I've needed to tackle this myself. I'm not going as crazy as your build though. I have the know-how and ability, I've just never done a full engine pull and will probably have a lot of questions. I'm good with electrical, but we'll see how good I am with complex mechanical.

I'm not planning splitting the block or pulling cylinders, or even building a custom fuel rail :wink2:, but I'm sure I'll have enough on my plate as it is.

·
Master Caster
16,099 Posts
Strong electrical...I could use some of that...fires and whatnot...bypassed fuel pumps...You have a better base than me. Hopefully more grounded. Pun Intended.

:banghead:

Your wallet will thank you.

:spend:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd post up a few pics of what I'm working with.

I've got a couple shots of the heads with the TGV deletes mocked up on them. There was only one problem that I could find with the heads when I got them. On the right hand side one whomever was taking things off broke a bolt for the camshaft sensor. But I'm guessing that shouldn't be too difficult for the machine shop to fix. Since it's not a high stress point it can probably be drilled and tapped.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
16,099 Posts
Nice...Have you thought about the GrimmSpeed thermolic spacers? I have the 8mm...42degrees cut in temp...but very tall. It messes with the turbo inlet angle. But then again...so does my Kamak...in the opposite direction. But they have 3 or 4mm. I highly recommend them. My engine...both coolant and oil is cool and contestant under spirited driving.

They cut the intake temperature...that's good.

·
Master Caster
16,099 Posts
Is there really any gain with the TGV deletes?
Yes...When the TGV is completely open...the chamber is still 20% blocked, The turbulence is good...but not as important once the motor is warm...and 20% more air...when under power...

I have a side feed set I made for Frank...for liberation... I am top feed conversion now.

I have pics on my build thread that show the difference..Just it might take me a bit to find.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
Yes...When the TGV is completely open...the chamber is still 20% blocked, The turbulence is good...but not as important once the motor is warm...and 20% more air...when under power...

I have a side feed set I made for Frank...for liberation... I am top feed conversion now.

I have pics on my build thread that show the difference..Just it might take me a bit to find.
I'm curious as I don't know how much longer my motor has left in it. I'd prefer to have a game plan in place when and if it does. An '04 EJ255 short block to rebuild is a good start.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

One of the problems I think I might be having that I believe is being caused by the TGV valves is that when the engine is cold and I'm driving in second gear at a steady speed on my street, I get a very pronounced jerking that doesn't seem to be related to the engine speed.

I believe the TGV actuators are doing the same thing the actuators in my HVAC system are doing and "convulsing" back and forth instead of holding steady. Thus causing a surge in power as it chokes the engine back and forth at a high rate.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
One of the problems I think I might be having that I believe is being caused by the TGV valves is that when the engine is cold and I'm driving in second gear at a steady speed on my street, I get a very pronounced jerking that doesn't seem to be related to the engine speed.

I believe the TGV actuators are doing the same thing the actuators in my HVAC system are doing and "convulsing" back and forth instead of holding steady. Thus causing a surge in power as it chokes the engine back and forth at a high rate.
I have that exact issue in my Baja. About 2200-2700RPM, but it'll do it when it's warm too. Maybe something different? It's been bugging me lately.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that exact issue in my Baja. About 2200-2700RPM, but it'll do it when it's warm too. Maybe something different? It's been bugging me lately.
I've noticed mine do it when it's warm, but it's not as pronounced. It's probably the difference between the TGV's trying to close when it's cold and malfunctioning and open when it's warm and malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've got about $600 saved right now to start buying the needed parts for my replacement heads, i.e. valves, springs, etc.

I was wondering if it would be advantageous to also purchase new camshafts since the camshafts that I have are on my car currently and let the machine shop that I'm going to have machine the heads and install the valves also do the adjustments on the cams. I really want to have the heads all ready and done so I won't be down the however long it will take for the machine shop to do the heads.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been reading quite a bit concerning the valves and associated hardware and I've seen where a lot of people recommend the Beehive valve springs.

What I want to know is how much, if any difference they can make over the OEM Subaru valve springs that cost a third less. $370 for springs seems a bit much.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just spent $478 on a set of GSC intake and exhaust valves and stem seals, ARP head studs, and a set of GrimmSpeed tumbler gaskets.

Now to pile those up and wait for next month's paycheck.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure you are shopping everywhere but I've had fair luck with cheaper prices if you are going after OEM with Subaru Parts Deal - Lowest Price for Genuine Subaru Parts, parts.com and Quirk Auto Parts | OEM & Aftermarket Car, Truck, SUV, & Van Parts and Accessories but it sounds like you have things under control.

What did you decide on your turbo? I assume you are updating the injectors and fuel pump if you are doing a bigger turbo?

And yes to Invidia uppipe.
I'm always open trying different parts places. I ordered my most recent parts from Emnotek. Their prices seemed very reasonable for what I needed.

I have not decided on a turbo yet, but I do know I really only want OEM size replacement. Which means a 16g. I need to call BNR and talk with them since their website went down and emailing them is useless.
However, I was looking at what @traildogck runs, a Kinugawa turbo. I've been meaning to ask him why he went with those and how he likes it.

Since I was not planning on upping the power, I was going to stick with the stock injectors and pump. Unless I see problems related to fuel starvation, I'm going to leave it alone.

·
Master Caster
16,099 Posts
The Kamak / Kinugawa was at the recommendation of my tuner. I had been in the parket for a turbo. There was a group buy thread started here, for a special build from Steamspeed. It didn't happen, I think I was the only one who signed up...that really wanted to do it and had the money. But know i was out my turbo choice when I was ready to buy.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/145585-streamspeed-stx-67-turbo-group-buy.html

The real key benefit (or differnce) that I saw was the blade design. The Kamak is similar in design...the warranty was excellent (over now) And...It will go 400 hp no problem. Just like my AVO TMIC...just like the intake, cooling etc. If I ever decide to build a stronger motor. I won't need a new setup to handle it. She's overkill right now. AND....

Ed and I were both interested in doing something different. Kinda like my car, anyone can buy an STI....Not everybody is running a Kamak...definitely not a 20g. And I do like it. It pulls and sounds like a jet engine (I guess a jet pushes...but who's counting) I have not really been able to exploit it or get number on it yet. I still have some fueling issues at higher rpm. I tried to save some money and and tried to design my own fuel rail...should have just bought a Perrin.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts
Guess it all comes to the proper parts put into one.

I've had a couple conversations with shops around MA as I want to put in the VF52. Some honestly feel the VF40/46 spool faster and with exhaust/TMIC/injectors/pump/oil pick up and intake it will still provide the same results. Course I'm not looking for anything near 300hp. Maybe 275 but I'm looking more for longevity. Found their opinons interesting but I guess it's all a gamble in the end. When my car was tuned I just took the advice that the '52 was safest.

I love emnotek as well. Great shop. Have been on their site trying to figure out my suspension and other "toys" hahaha.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got a nice box of parts from Emnotek this weekend.

They get to go into a nice pile with all the other parts that I'm stockpiling.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts