Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Outback Limited; 03 outback 2.5
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! I'm Rachel and I love my Outbacks! I just upgraded to a 2016 Limited and I love it! I kept my old "R" titled 2003 2.5 though since there really isn't much wrong with it other than the AC and a creaky suspension (177xxx miles and counting), and the fact that the dealer probably would have given me like $500 as a trade.
Now that it's no longer my daily driver, the husband and I want to 'mod' it. Nothing too crazy, just some more off road friendly rims and tires, possibly a new taller suspension, and other odds and ends that I will be perusing through the forums looking for ideas. Pictures are below of the old and the new!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,226 Posts
2" lifts are typical for outbacks it gives you a little more on a trail without going crazy with needing lots of weird parts.

plenty threads on it, people seem to like the ones from ADF lift kits and similar.

and they get some aluminum skid plates to match.

_______

177,000 miles on original OEM springs is about right, they last a long long time.

KYB struts, the last good name in struts and the ones that subaru reboxes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2" lifts are typical for outbacks it gives you a little more on a trail without going crazy with needing lots of weird parts.

plenty threads on it, people seem to like the ones from ADF lift kits and similar.

and they get some aluminum skid plates to match.

_______

177,000 miles on original OEM springs is about right, they last a long long time.

KYB struts, the last good name in struts and the ones that subaru reboxes.
Thanks for the info!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,226 Posts
Thanks for the info!
I missed the part on the rims,

16" OEM that you got are pretty good with plenty of sidewall on the 225/60/16 standard tire size.

typical 15" will not go over the brakes in your car.

15" rally rims exist with more square cans, ...but those are big bucks,...plus the high dollar weirdo balloony all terains that go on them.

______

what you might like on this car in PA:

year round snow tires. if it has only one set on them. (Nokian WRG, or Toyo Celcius).

on my cars I run Michelin All seasons, and then studded coopers on their own rims.
...and try to keep the studded tires on to get through mud season in spring.
(and its really easy to find mint 16" 2000-2004 OEM rims for these at a pick and pull or a part out,...hopefully with bald tires so they don't charge for a "good" tire)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,307 Posts
Lots of people keep the 16" wheels and use General Grabber AT2 in 215/65/16.

With a 2" lift and those tires it would be a fun beater / toy.

Would look something like this:

PS Gen 2 and Gen 5 are the best ones good job.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Your LGT is gonna make you pay for that. A bunch of other stuff too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of people keep the 16" wheels and use General Grabber AT2 in 215/65/16.

With a 2" lift and those tires it would be a fun beater / toy.

Would look something like this:

Thanks for your reply. I love your Gen 2 set up! It looks similar to what we are going for. I'll probably keep the stock rim and tire set up and try to find a steel set to put either some decent snow tires or maybe those Grabber AT2's onto them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,226 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I love your Gen 2 set up! It looks similar to what we are going for. I'll probably keep the stock rim and tire set up and try to find a steel set to put either some decent snow tires or maybe those Grabber AT2's onto them.
steelies can be both heavy and easy to dent.:|

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
346 Posts
and the fact that the dealer probably would have given me like $500 as a trade.

"no resale green"

Heh, I jest. Welcome to the forum Rachel. You'll find a vast amount of experience here for both generations of Outbacks you have there. I wouldn't be scared of modifying the (Gen 5) Outback especially if its a daily driver, as there are some really great QOL improvements a few users here have created and/or recommended over the years.
And if you are not sure about something, search the forum first. There are great threads on plenty of things, but that doesn't mean you should feel scared to make a thread on something with a dearth of information.
Happy trekking!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"no resale green"

I wouldn't be scared of modifying the (Gen 5) Outback especially if its a daily driver, as there are some really great QOL improvements a few users here have created and/or recommended over the years.
I am a little apprehensive just since it's new to me and so shiny! We're just not used to having such a 'new' car. I've got a bit of a learning curve to the lingo here on the forum...what is QOL? and yeah it is my daily driver so i don't want to hurt the gas mileage too much with modification since i drive 50+ miles a day.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
346 Posts
I am a little apprehensive just since it's new to me and so shiny! We're just not used to having such a 'new' car. I've got a bit of a learning curve to the lingo here on the forum...what is QOL? and yeah it is my daily driver so i don't want to hurt the gas mileage too much with modification since i drive 50+ miles a day.
Oof that is quite the commute. My commute is less than 12 miles, but it takes me at least 45 minutes each way. Yay Traffic!
I digress, QOL: quality of life. If you aren't comfortable modding the car yet, then don't! We won't discriminate! Having said that there are many modifications you can do that can be easily removed if you think the dealer may give you grief.
By forum recommendation we have upgrading the interior lights to LEDs, adding a larger rear sway bar for handling as well as larger bushings, changing the drain valve to a Fumoto, and adding a lift kit if off roading is on the menu for you.
We have dedicated threads on all of these and more, we also have a culmination 'Mods and DIY' thread.
I personally haven't had any pushback from my local dealer when it comes to service. I also think it helps to have an understanding of the car and warranty legalese; such as: they know I won't let it fly if they say they won't cover my rear tailgate motor if I add an aftermarket front strut mount. The two things are so different and would never conflict, but many dealers will say 'oh you modded you car, denied!'.
Not on my watch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts