Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a purchasing locally a nice 2001 Outback LLbean edition H6 with 123,000 on the odo. Everything is in good working order and the exterior and interior are clean without any real flaws other then the usual wear of an 12 year old auto. Looks to have been well cared for and this is the 2nd owner but he has only owned it for the last 20k miles so I don't have any records prior to that.
He's looking to get $5,900.00 and I'm looking to see how his price matches up in todays current environment. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Check Edmund's for your area. I would offer $4k cash and haggle from there.

Did you ask why he wants to sell after only 20k ownership?

If you have a trustworthy technician, have the car checked out: electronics, engine, trans, suspension, brakes, alignment. Do all the electrical components in the car work? Seats, windows, stereo, deicers, speakers, etc.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
$5900 seems a bit steep to me. My car has 130k and I'd be happy to get b/w $4500 and $5k. I agree with doc, find a good shop and have them do a pre-buy inspection. My local shop charges about $200 for such a procedure. Also look for accident damage like gaps b/w hood and fenders that aren't right. Do a google search for how to tell if a car was In an accident then check it over again, that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, Autotrader will start to show trends in your area in a matter of minutes.

Not a great deal but $5,900 is not a bad price. Particularly if it's in good condition, with that mileage, and in your area...NJ isn't likely be to "cheap". The H6's are worth a lot more than the H4's.

They sell for more than that all the time.

You have to be careful of opinions on forums, they do not represent averages. The average person is not on a car forum and just buys whatever is local to them. On forums you get more car savy folks, folks buying stuff cheap and fixing it, looking for deals, etc. Average prices on a forum would likely be less than the public.

I buy all of mine with issues - one of my H6's was wrecked and the other had a blown transmission, I would not consider what I paid for them - even after parts anything close to normal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, Autotrader will start to show trends in your area in a matter of minutes.

Not a great deal but $5,900 is not a bad price. Particularly if it's in good condition, with that mileage, and in your area...NJ isn't likely be to "cheap". The H6's are worth a lot more than the H4's.

They sell for more than that all the time.

You have to be careful of opinions on forums, they do not represent averages. The average person is not on a car forum and just buys whatever is local to them. On forums you get more car savy folks, folks buying stuff cheap and fixing it, looking for deals, etc. Average prices on a forum would likely be less than the public.

I buy all of mine with issues - one of my H6's was wrecked and the other had a blown transmission, I would not consider what I paid for them - even after parts anything close to normal.
Very good points. That's why I'm jumping on a 2 owner '01 VDC with 225k on it. It's nearly mint, and runs perfect. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm trading my '05 Saturn Vue Red Line AWD w/ 125k on it even up. I'm taking a loss, but it doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I just looked at a really clean '01 LLbean H6 with 159k on the odo for around the same money. It looked like it could've had 59k on the odo instead of 159K. One owner and very well cared for. I was thinking of offering 5k for it as I know he's not going to take 4500.00.
I know looking at Edmunds etc this might be a couple of bucks high but boy it's hard finding a nice LLbean H6 for cheaper dollars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently bought a 2002 LL Bean with 165,000 miles, one owner for $5,000.00. It had all its records for service. I think $4,000.00 would be a better offer for it.:cool:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Very good points. That's why I'm jumping on a 2 owner '01 VDC with 225k on it. It's nearly mint, and runs perfect. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm trading my '05 Saturn Vue Red Line AWD w/ 125k on it even up. I'm taking a loss, but it doesn't feel like it.
Update: I sold the Saturn to a different dealer for more money. I picked up the VDC for $3,300 + fees.

I discovered one spot of rust. It's inside the driver's back door in front of the wheel well. There's a hole through it. Odd, considering everything else underneath is in great shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
RedGeminiPA
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing