Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2018 OB Limited 2.5 today. Moving on from a 2008 Pathfinder and wanted to get something less Truck but maintain the same cargo room. Never really used the 3rd row. Love the OB, but had some questions about the radio. I have seen the issues posted here which is concerning but I am interested in connectivity. Right now I have an external BT speaker to use with my Android phone and use my ipod classic connected to the AUX input.

It seems that the radio in the OB does not work with the ipod classic? I would still need to use the AUX input? Even if the ipod could be used with USB would that then prevent me from using Android Auto since the USB would be taken up by the ipod? Could I even use Android Auto along with the ipod on Aux? Wanting to see what options I have so I can still listen to my music library and also use the features of the radio that I have not had before.

Any other impressions or suggestions about the car in general? I have 2 kids (3 and 6) so car seats in the back for some years ahead.

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
As I have a 2016 Limited without Android Auto I can't say what happens when you use both, but are there not two usb ports? Have you read that the classic does not work? Mine works fine with my 2016 Limited Harman Kardon system. I had to eliminate album artwork but after that it works great. Found that fix here, after searching for Ipod classic 160. Way better/faster than my FIO X3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I have a 2016 Limited without Android Auto I can't say what happens when you use both, but are there not two usb ports? Have you read that the classic does not work? Mine works fine with my 2016 Limited Harman Kardon system. I had to eliminate album artwork but after that it works great. Found that fix here, after searching for Ipod classic 160. Way better/faster than my FIO X3.
I thought I had read that in the radio issue thread about the classic not working. It might be due to the Carplay interface.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
16 Posts
Just got my first Outback/Subaru a few days ago and absolutely LOVE it! A 2018 3.6 limited. Came from a BMW X5. The hubby has always been a Subaru fan and really made me want to own one myself. Great handling and so much space in the back row for passengers. We have a 3 year old boy in a carseat and it is so easy to get him in and out. Great ride and pretty quiet (granted anything is when compared to a BMW....) Love having CarPlay too.

I have only encountered two negatives. 1. I am going to be upgrading the speakers at minimum to improve the audio quality 2. The lumbar support was much too strong for me even when at the lowest setting (very common problem), but I was able to remove the plastic lumbar support from my seats and now am very comfy. Just wanted to give you an honest answer!

But I have absolutely zero regrets and safety of my family trumps audio quality :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could I even use Android Auto along with the ipod on Aux?
Why would you bother using 2 devices? Your Android device is more than capable of playing music.

Note that Android Auto runs from your phone. So if your phone is slow then everything Android Auto in the car will be slow. I have an old LG G3 which is slow with Android Auto.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you bother using 2 devices? Your Android device is more than capable of playing music.

Note that Android Auto runs from your phone. So if your phone is slow then everything Android Auto in the car will be slow. I have an old LG G3 which is slow with Android Auto.
While I have a 128GB Pixel, it wouldn't hold as much as my 160GB iPod. Its just easier to sync my music and podcast sync the iPod than to the phone. I could stream but then I am eating up data. There are other reasons I like using an iPod in the car vs. phone. Just trying to figure out how I could use both. Worst case the AUX input is there but I was hoping to be able to use the car interface to choose music. Plus auto pausing when turning off the car.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
45 Posts

I would assume that the iPod has iTunes content not accessible on other devices plus it's nice to not use data if not necessary. I have an old cracked iPod touch in my 2015 that connects via USB for all my music needs. Not sure what the OP is doing though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would assume that the iPod has iTunes content not accessible on other devices plus it's nice to not use data if not necessary. I have an old cracked iPod touch in my 2015 that connects via USB for all my music needs. Not sure what the OP is doing though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yeah I want to use my iPod Classic hooked up USB but also be able to use Android Auto. Even taking Android out of the equation, it seems the iPod classic is not supported USB on the 2018. Wanted to see if that was the case, of anyone had this kind of setup in their own car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While I have a 128GB Pixel, it wouldn't hold as much as my 160GB iPod.
10-4. With my small experience with Android Auto (AA) I wouldn't think you can play audio through the AUX or USB at the same time. I say this because AA appears to be an App on the headunit. So launching AA will not continue playing music from AUX.

I can test this afternoon though. Only on the AUX, I don't have any iDevices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10-4. With my small experience with Android Auto (AA) I wouldn't think you can play audio through the AUX or USB at the same time. I say this because AA appears to be an App on the headunit. So launching AA will not continue playing music from AUX.

I can test this afternoon though. Only on the AUX, I don't have any iDevices.
Yeah thats what I would like to know. If I could, say, have navigation through Android Auto while listening to the AUX input. I guess there are workarounds, like not using AA and just pairing the phone through Bluetooth? Then I could use the built in Nav, listen through AUX, with phone paired BT? Thanks for testing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah thats what I would like to know. If I could, say, have navigation through Android Auto while listening to the AUX input. I guess there are workarounds, like not using AA and just pairing the phone through Bluetooth? Then I could use the built in Nav, listen through AUX, with phone paired BT? Thanks for testing.
Good news. I test this with both AUX port and an MP3 on a USB drive and got the same results.

While playing music from AUX/USB I was able to open AA and the music kept playing from the original source. I made a phone call with Google Assistant through the button on the steering wheel and the AUX/USB music muted the unmuted after the call.

I believe the same happens while navigating with AA. I test this in my garage and only heard Google Maps say one thing and it worked.

tl;dr; Playing music through AUX/USB while using Android Auto works great. The engineers must have had an odd day to support their users like this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news. I test this with both AUX port and an MP3 on a USB drive and got the same results.

While playing music from AUX/USB I was able to open AA and the music kept playing from the original source. I made a phone call with Google Assistant through the button on the steering wheel and the AUX/USB music muted the unmuted after the call.

I believe the same happens while navigating with AA. I test this in my garage and only heard Google Maps say one thing and it worked.

tl;dr; Playing music through AUX/USB while using Android Auto works great. The engineers must have had an odd day to support their users like this.
Awesome! Thanks for testing this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just went from a 2016 2.5 Limited to a 2018 2.5 Premium. My 8 year old ipod touch worked with the 16 and works with the 18. On the 18 (two usb ports) it works alongside my iphone 7 (using carplay). The 2018 is a nice improvement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I should update the thread with the good news. Bought a 2018 2.5i Limited last Saturday. Its Twilight Blue with the Black interior. Eyesight of course. That was a main point for me, a Blue car and ALL the bells on whistles. I am really loving this car. I came from a Nissan Pathfinder and while I have about 100 horsepower less, I don't find it any less powerful. I am loving the Eyesight features. It drives great, Android Auto is awesome, just plugged in my phone and it paired and everything without me doing anything. Annoying the AA limitations on scrolling, not s Subaru specific issue. Bummer my iPod Classic doesn't integrate with the USB but I can always go AUX and its ok (the importance of a headphone jack..). I have found a work around with storing music on my phone so its not that big of a deal. Really happy with my decision. And its nice to have a good community like this to ask questions and get some good feedback and suggestions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts