Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Outback 2.5 & 2005 Outback XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a new outback and I am looking at an XT. I currently own a '98 Outback and would like something with a little more pep for my future baby-haulin' car. I went and test drove a '05 XT at Carmax just to do some research into if I would like the car and since it's an autobox, not sure since I don't know much about Subie automatics. Overall, I like the car and there is a '05 XT with a manual for sale near me, private seller. Here is the background I have on the car so far:
- Owner bought it in April of 2011 from Carmax with their extended warranty.
- Had a clutch, flywheel, and master cylinder replaced under that warranty.
- Warranty is still effective till 110,000 or 125,000 miles (owner wasn't sure exactly when I spoke with him as the paperwork was not right there.)
- Car currently has 95,000 miles on it with regular maintenance done at the dealer
- Put new tires on it in May 2012 and had an alignment done as well.
- regular oil changes, though I forgot to ask how often and with what oil.

This will be my first turbo car for myself, though I am not new to turbo engines as I am a BMW Tech and am aware of the potential issues with this system.

IF I buy the car, I plan on immediately replacing the T-belt and all associated parts, doing a coolant flush, replacing the banjo bolt/removing the filter, changing the oil, and changing the diff and trans. fluids as well. The current owner has the car for sale for $12,000. Should I consider this car, or should I keep looking?

I was almost considering the one from Carmax as it has 72,000 miles on it, but they want $15,000 for it and when I did some research, it should be going for around $13,500 retail, plus I'm a little skeptical about the long-term reliability of an automatic with turbo'ed cars, though they do have one with a manual in Birmingham with 95,000 miles for $13,000...

So, back to the subject at hand, with the info. I have at this moment, is the Private seller car worth looking at or should I keep looking? FWIW, cosmetically, the car looks to be in great shape and the owner states he doesn't see any oil leaks on the engine, but I'll know more once I go look at is later on this week, but opinions would be great/helpful in the meantime.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,462 Posts
Don't worry about the auto- it's tough. Nissan used the same trans in a few trucks and SUVs with even torquier engines. That said, I'm looking into an aftermarket valve body to improve shift timing on my own XT.

You already have the right idea for t-belt and related service. Sounds like it is just a question of whether the deal is good enough knowing that it needs all that right away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I go to look at the '05 XT with the manual tomorrow and just wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should look for on the car. I'm planning on looking over the whole thing (tires, brakes, suspension, oil leaks, etc.), but is there anything I should focus on? I already know about the axle boots, but is there anything else?

FWIW, I pulled a Carfax and the previous owners did really well with the maintenance and it has never been in any accidents (that were reported to Carfax, anyway).

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I'm sure the 05 is fine, but I would look around for an 06+. I know on the NA models the engines were updated to address some issues. I assume the turbo is the same. The 06+ models also have higher T-bone crash ratings.

If you're interested in the one in Birmingham I can test drive it for you this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the offer, but I am buying the one up here. I did a Carfax and it is really good and the current owner has changed the oil every 3000 miles, documented. Also, it has a Maxcare warranty good for at least 15,000 more miles. i'll post pics once i get the car home this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts