Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

2007 Subaru Outback (Blue color)
172,000 miles
New Catalytic converter at 114k
Will run it through MD inspection to check for any issues
Leather w/ heated front seats

Gentleman purchased it in 2014 with 114k on it from a dealer. Dealer replaced the cat on it. It has not have the head gaskets or the water pump changed on it yet. He does have OEM headgaskets and a water pump for it.

He's asking $2500 for it.

Is this a good value assuming its mechanically sound? Im really looking for something to just haul my 3 dogs around in on the weekends. I drive my Prius daily for my work commute... which doesnt go very well with me being a die hard subaru guy.

My main subaru is a garage queen fully restored RSTI :nerd:

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
999 Posts
Find out when the TB and all pulleys were changed. If not, assume it is a ticking time bomb and will have to be changed immediately. It's actually close to a second TB change. If you know how to do it yourself, it's a pretty easy job @ 3-6 hours and ~$100. If not, it's close to $1k.

$2.5k is a pretty good price if there are no major issues to it. Most of the rubber suspension parts will need to be changed, but nothing that will lead to a catastrophic failure, only a broken Timing Belt or a cooling system failure that does not get addressed will do that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,551 Posts
It has not have the head gaskets or the water pump changed on it yet. He does have OEM headgaskets and a water pump for it.
When the time comes, you should not put these OEM gaskets on the heads unless they are the multi-layer XT turbo gaskets. They were the problem in the first place. Get a set of Fel Pro, Six Star, or the aforementioned multi-layer XT gaskets.

UPDATE: BTW I presume we're talking about an H4 2.5 NA here - you didn't say in the original post.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Presuming you have a bit of a repair budget, $2500 is not bad at all.

It's gonna need work guaranteed. But if you can do most of it yourself, not too bad.

If it has not been overheated or driven with mismatched tires...should be ok.

AISIN makes a good timing belt kit, has a lot of Japanese parts in it..about $250 or so I think.

Full tune up (NGK plugs and wires), OEM PCV, fresh differential fluid (gl-5 75w90), fresh ATF (ATF-HP) and it should be good to go.

Likely needs suspension repair/service by those miles, but parts are not hard to come by.

Reactions: rsrocket1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts