Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Subaru for a replacement for my wife's Focus. Our local dealer that does not normally deal with Subaru cars, have an interesting model that I am looking at. I am hoping someone here has some knowledge regarding if it is a Legacy Outback or an Outback. The Subaru is branded on the outside as an Outback but the manual claims it is a Legacy and the car has leather seats with "Estate" stenciled in. It seems to most closely resemble a 2004 Outback limited edition based on the options but again I am not sure and the dealership is not sure either. They claim it came to them as a Legacy Outback edition but when comparing it to pictures of a Legacy it really doesn't match. Any help would be appreciated. It is a wagon if that helps and 2004 model year. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I am looking at a Subaru for a replacement for my wife's Focus. Our local dealer that does not normally deal with Subaru cars, have an interesting model that I am looking at. I am hoping someone here has some knowledge regarding if it is a Legacy Outback or an Outback. The Subaru is branded on the outside as an Outback but the manual claims it is a Legacy and the car has leather seats with "Estate" stenciled in. It seems to most closely resemble a 2004 Outback limited edition based on the options but again I am not sure and the dealership is not sure either. They claim it came to them as a Legacy Outback edition but when comparing it to pictures of a Legacy it really doesn't match. Any help would be appreciated. It is a wagon if that helps and 2004 model year. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Is this in the U.S.? Never heard of "estate" being used here on a Subaru.

The only stenciled leather I'm aware of on a 2004 was the seats that said "L.L. Bean Edition" on them. Some older 1st generation Outbacks with leather seats had "Outback" stenciled into them. Never heard of estate, though...maybe they're not original seats?

The "Legacy" and "Outback" were two different models for 2004. The word Legacy didn't appear anywhere on the Outback. That said, they are essentially the same car. The Outback is a Legacy wagon with a raised suspension, some plastic body-cladding, and generally a higher-level trim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is why I was confused. I am in the US on the East coast and the only time I have ever used "estate" used is by the Brits. I checked the VIN and it was made in Indiana, US. I am wondering if it is some kind of special order that somehow made it onto used lots. The front seats match the back seats in appearance so if they were replaced they must have been replaced right after it was bought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly. If I end up buying the car I will take pictures and upload them to the site. I am intrigued by the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
You can decode the VIN number... there are many websites that offer free VIN decoder and you will find more about the car's origin and options installed. Lot of army folks deployed overseas buy cars overseas and bring them to these shores and then they sell them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
In Europe, some wagons are called "Estate".

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
In Europe, some wagons are called "Estate".
So is my true blue, U.S.-made, 76 Suburban Silverado "Estate".

Epica: check the Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek website. There's lots of photos and details of models and equipment -- all of which is relevant to U.S. marketed cars.

Also, there is a network of New England Subaru dealers that operates semi-independently from SOA. They order Outbacks from the Indiana assembly plant, but have different options included, or added in their own "port" facility afterwards. One I remember distinctly a few years back is rear seat heaters that weren't even available elsewhere. The "Estate" stencil on the seat upholstery could be another manifestation of the group's "distinctiveness", and might be something they "borrowed" from the European market (and 1976 GM!).

Regarding the VIN, see attached (this is from the 07 FSM).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information everyone! I looked up the VIN with one of the free finders and it appears that the Subaru is indeed an Outback which is nice to know for sure. I am going to buy the car since the car fax is clean and it seems to be in great shape per my mechanic. I may look further into the car's history once I own it.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I, for one, will be curious to see some photos of it.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts