Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Current 2011 Tribeca 1999 OBW H42.5L Died by Deer 2001 OBW LLBean H6 gone thank goodness its gone.
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys looking at a 2011 Tribeca. I have some photos does anybody see anything to be concerned about. Has about 70,000+ miles on it. First owner maintenance records at local Subaru deal are spotless... he always brought it in for all the fluid changes, recalls ETC... Current owner only had it for 8,000 miles and fluid changed it at Subaru dealer once.

NOTE: live its entire life in a road salt state.

https://imgur.com/a/xavrFlQ

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
can you upload those to imgur or similar and link them back here.

the view attachment thing on the forum is not working today.
@MiddleAgeSubie may have opinions. as he has owned such a tribeca for years.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Tribecas are very underrated. Generally, the things to look for, not very different from other Subies, are all about the front suspension. The only downsides vs. an Outback are the small gas tank and the higher cost of suspension parts, since there are no reputable aftermarket options. Otherwise, the A/C is light years ahead of any generation Outback A/C, which matters a lot in AZ, and the cargo area does make a difference in practice, if not necessarily on paper. Tires tend to be a little pricey in that size since it is shared with some luxury crossovers. Minor gripes overall. Lots of positives, starting with value.

We replaced struts and front control arms at 145,000. The struts were the original ones. Our 2008 Tribeca is easily the better in-town family hauler than our 2018 4Runner Offroad. Note that if equipped with performance tires like our Nitto 420S, the Tribeca handles and corners very nicely though the ride suffers.

·
Registered
Current 2011 Tribeca 1999 OBW H42.5L Died by Deer 2001 OBW LLBean H6 gone thank goodness its gone.
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Link https://imgur.com/a/xavrFlQ

I had a Mechanic look at the pic and even for the area he thought it seem overly rusty for a 2011. He also thought the oil filter pic looked like it had been cleaned.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Then the question would be what areas are seriously affected by rust, if any.

70,000 with spotless records at a good price is worth spending some time on that question. How close are you with that mechanic? A quick look by someone you don't know well should not be enough to make a decision. Maybe have it inspected in person?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
Minnesota.
that is not a "salt free" state, and that tribeca looks like it has been driven daily and put away unwashed underneath. (like in a cold garage).

Minnesota gets a lot of snow, and their roads take a beating.

and plenty of states use lots off different ice melters that all create corroson under cars.

little towns use salted sand on the roads they maintain,

on the bigger state and county maintained 2 lanes: with more money and better road maint: can use rock salt/ magnesium, calcium.

If looking for salt free: try places south,...like Virginia,...TN, Arkansas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mechanic is a very trusted one... I take all my stuff to him and he has been very honest... I even secretly price check him against other shops and he has on par or a just a few bucks under others. He has worked on lots of Subarus (mine included), I have my eye on another one too that may have spent its winters in Arizona and come back to MN in the summer. Not happy with that one because they are above KBB and Edmunds Fair value.

As for inspecting in person, its about a 2 hour drive to get to this one. I am sure they are not going to put it up on the rack for me when I get there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
The mechanic is a very trusted one... I take all my stuff to him and he has been very honest... I even secretly price check him against other shops and he has on par or a just a few bucks under others. He has worked on lots of Subarus (mine included), I have my eye on another one too that may have spent its winters in Arizona and come back to MN in the summer. Not happy with that one because they are above KBB and Edmunds Fair value.

As for inspecting in person, its about a 2 hour drive to get to this one. I am sure they are not going to put it up on the rack for me when I get there.
bring a sheet of cardboard and a flash light, lay down and look.

use the pictures you just took to see where the rust appears.
(seems like the parts that are below the body,...= drive axles, rear lower control arms, etc).

if that is as they say it is, "a arizona winter car' that in itself is worth many labor hours for your mechanic not to be charging you for

the kind of hours he is using a torch to heat rusted bolts,...replacing rusted bolts / parts, and swearing at the local rust every minute.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He said that the rust is a concern.... and when I purchase Subarus I drive them to the end of life. Starting out with one that is rusty.... just means its going to be really rusty by the time I get done with it.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,384 Posts
Consider availability of used replacement parts if you are serious about this car.

The drive train parts are from the Outback, so there will be plenty of replacement used parts all over the place. They are widely distributed, have had five years production run in each generation, and a whole lot of them were sold. And the Legacy shares most of these parts as well.

The interior and exterior body parts, lighting, wiring harnesses, interior soft parts, and many of the electronic parts, on the other hand, are none of the above. These will be hard to find used, and it will get increasingly more difficult the longer away you are from the Tribeca production stop.

And body work is what you will be most needing, by the sounds of it.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Nobody here can really tell you about this car. You need to either have a person you trust look at it or build up your own knowledge about rust.

When I was considering a TJ as a trail rig, I noticed a bunch of webpages explaining with pictures how to distinguish between rust and run-away-from-it rust.

There won't be anything like that for a Tribeca, but you may get an idea from info about other vehicles.

If it is at a Subaru dealer, try to get to talk to an actual tech as opposed to a service guy.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
954 Posts
Man! The interior pics of that car looks like a beater! The wear and tear looks 10 years and 100,000 miles older than the car is. Certainly no pride in ownership from the previous owners!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going to look at the one with 10,000 more miles but was driven in a none salt state in the winter. It too has good service records.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got the one with 88,000 miles which had alot of recorded service records. Very little rust and no leaking seals that I found. Also passed the Combustion Block Leak test.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts