Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short I was looking for a car for my little sister. I had plans on buying back the 2011 Subaru Forester from my parents that I used to own before I bought my truck. I don’t really need a second vehicle it was just going to be my “fun” car to drive in bad weather and keep the miles off my truck.

I went to look at a 2005 outback near my house that’s for sale and that’s when plans began to change. From what I saw it was a beautiful car. It’s a 2005 limited with 92,000 miles on it. The only “problem” is it’s a stick. That got me thinking maybe if it checks out I’ll just buy it for myself because I’ve been wanting to learn how to drive stick for the longest time.

The owner wants 7500 for it. It has 4 new tires, the airbags were replaced under that recall, new brakes, new brake lines in the rear, and a new catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

I plan on checking the headgaskets, all wheel drive components for any binding, exhaust, and suspension. I’m assuming it’s due for a timing belt change and idk if the head gaskets should be done at the same time or not.

Assuming all this checks out what would a reasonable price be for this car? I looked on KBB and it said $6000 private party.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
7.5 is a lot I paid that for my 05 limited H6 3 years ago, with 120k miles. And that was from a dealer. 5k would be a good price on it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
FWIW, the airbag recall is a free recall - you needn't attempt to put a valuation on the fact it's been done. The only investment is your time to drop it off and pick it up again at any authorized dealership.

And there's a possibility it will have to be done again in 2020, for those of us - myself included - that didn't get the recall performed using the proper formulation of propellant. It's a Takata thing, and a longer story than what I want to get into here. And by golly, that's just next year!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to take a look at it today. It’s pretty clean. There didn’t seem to be much rust. It seemed to ride nice. I couldn’t drive it since it’s a stick.

One concern I did have was there seemed to be some blow by. I’m not sure if this is common for Subarus. My 2011 has worse blow by so I was thinking it might just be normal. I plan on having my dad and my neighbor take a closer look at it and go from there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW, the airbag recall is a free recall - you needn't attempt to put a valuation on the fact it's been done. The only investment is your time to drop it off and pick it up again at any authorized dealership.

And there's a possibility it will have to be done again in 2020, for those of us - myself included - that didn't get the recall performed using the proper formulation of propellant. It's a Takata thing, and a longer story than what I want to get into here. And by golly, that's just next year!
Wait what? It's being recalled again?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Wait what? It's being recalled again?
Sad state of affairs for both Takata and Subaru, but entirely true - if you got the wrong one installed in the first recall:

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Recall on my car was done when the PO had it. How would I know if I got the updated airbag or not?
Attached, if you have the paperwork supplied with the recall. Otherwise, I think your options are:
1. The dealer who did the work could look it up, if you know who that is.
2. Any dealer could maybe inspect it and look for the part number.
3. Maybe your VIN is going to tell you which you have at www.mysubaru.com, but I doubt it - my record there doesn't say it will require it, just that I've already completed the WQR-53 recall.
4. Wait for the letter in 2020 or thereabouts (2020 is for my region; it's climate-based).

And of coarse, if it defaults to option 4 for you because options 1-3 didn't produce anything, make sure you register the VIN with them at your current address.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ah ok so most likely it didn't get the updated part. Thanks for the info!
Not necessarily. What happened - explained in the threads that I linked to, and also the letter I attached - was that for a while, Subaru used the older formulation propellant parts in the recalls. This was eventually discovered in the Congressional inquiry in June 2015, and around that time they were supposed to change over the propellant formula, which Takata did eventually do. But the old parts were still stocked at the dealers and supply chain, and since they weren't initially forbidden from using them, they did.

I had my recall done in June 2016, 12 months later, and my service invoice states I got old parts. Thus, I will have mine recalled again in 2020.

Eventually, in December 2016, as the letter attached states, Subaru asked for return of all the old parts. This same letter also states that NHTSA will be forcing them to recall again in 2020, suggesting that they might have expected not to have to do this again when they ran out the stock of old parts for the 18 months they knew there was a problem with them.

So it all depends on how early your recall was done, and if it was before December 2016, what the stock situation was at the dealer who did the work for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts