Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I hope this is the correct page for this.

01 Forester, 156 K miles (for sale)
Head gasket job done 500 miles ago.

Ad on CL says "New heads (completely redone with new cam seals, valve stem seals)"

Sounds like that actually means Old heads completely redone. If it is Old Heads completely redone, should I run away from it?

Ad on CL also mentions:

Head Gaskets (Six Star, look them up. Way better than OEM)

New 90 Amp Alternator (not rebuilt or 75 Amp stock one)

Valve Cover, exhaust and intake gaskets
NGK Plugs & wires
Aisin timing belt stuff with OEM belt

Also, any general opinions about this model please?

Thanks !!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
post the link,

foresters sit odd, you may like it you may not, (a whole lot)

foresters prior to 2005 era do not have multilink rear suspension like outbacks / legacy got in 2000. so when pushed in tight turns this may lean more then you want. (tires should grip, but body leans on them). edit: maybe 2008 was the changeover,?

____

subaru heads typically do not get rebuilt,
...always good to clean / machine the surface,...but sometimes the engine shops REALLY want to use all their tools.
______

edit: found it, cheaper ones out there.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/d/plans-have-changed-so-subie-4/6278617121.html

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
I was looking at what else in foresters you have out there,... if $1800 buys you a similar forester that needs work,
and if it needs a $1800 professionally done head gasket job, plus a timing belt kit at $400, plus a set of tires $500, and struts $500,

talking this one down to $4000-$4500 may prove a fine purchase,...

with a title like 'plans have changed" I would think you got a motivated seller. with room for you to negociate with this as the closing
"If you can see this ad, the car is still for sale.
No holds, Cash is king. Shoot me a offer as I don't need more than 2 cars"

______

if you don't like it for one reason or another, others do, the benefit to driving a forester over a outback = approach / departure angles, so less to drag when off road or in very tight parking.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks eagleeye. Yep you found it. The guy put lotsa $ into it, planning to give it to his nephew, then plan changed. I was kinda hesitant to post CL link. No matter now.

I just looked at it. Yes heads are original heads, machined. Seller would let it go for 3800.

I wonder if block, pistons, rings could be tweaked from overheating. Seller said H gaskets were bad when he got it so he didnt know how hot it got.

My first time looking at a Forester. Yah they do sit odd. Agree about seats too. Is a good deal though. I might wait for another OBW. Or grab the Forester. I Had a 97 OBW.

I grabbed the Impreza recently because only 78K, price, and 2.2. So far I dont miss (yet ) the rear driveshaft. Boring Front W drive performance is OK since I just poke around town with car full of painting gear. Found out Impreza kinda small for tools so looking for bigger.

Plus kinda need ladder when exiting Impreza to achieve standing upright position.

Thanks !

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
Thanks eagleeye. Yep you found it. The guy put lotsa $ into it, planning to give it to his nephew, then plan changed. I was kinda hesitant to post CL link. No matter now.
!
on here?....YOU are like the only present day poster in Hawaii,...so publicizing your subaru hunt really will draw no more wolves to the carcass you got staked out....at any given time there are only like 180-300 people logged into this board in the universe. (the rest just lookie lu-s)

short list of subarus there on CL oahu though. (of any type,...or running condition).

a forester is certainly a car for Kunu,...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh-oh...Looks like Kunu is a sweet Nigerian beverage usually made from a grain such as millet or sorghum, so says The Google. Never heard of anyone named Kunu here. However, Kumu is a teacher, especially of Hula.

Maybe you meant Kono, Steve McGarret's investigator on the original Hawaii 5-O. He could have used a Forester chasing bad guys down the beach and up the mountain. I met the actor (Gilbert Kauhi) on the Big Island at his Mom's place, before lava covered the area, Kalapana. Very sad. Sweet place, Kalapana.

"...will draw no more wolves to the carcass you got staked out... :grin2:

Well after three hours, the Forester seller set the hook. He called me! With a gracious price drop! Meeting me halfway between my 3 and his 38. Nice guy. Says his Mom suggested that. I agreed to be reeled in and put on ice, tomorrow.

Maybe I could pull those uncomfy seats out and install two of them mini Lazy Boys. You know, the motorized ones....with heating and chilling.

Kalapana Destroyed
video 6 minutes

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kunu? Who knew. Kunu.

You knew Kunu. I never knew Kunu.

Mahalo (thanks)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...short list of subarus there on CL oahu though. (of any type,...or running condition).
Yep. Toyotas rule the roads here. Not a big Subie City at all.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
This is also a Forester forum, kind of the brother to this forum.

If you have particular questions, lots of smart folks there as well.

SubaruForester.org

1 - 10 of 10 Posts