Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nearby private party has an 08' Legacy Sedan with 101k miles that has been well maintained, auto transmission. I have an 00' Outback with 168k and love it. This would be to replace my wife's driver an 06' Jeep Liberty. We want something that is better on gas and more reliable, (I'm not a Chrysler fan) but will still do well in the snow. She is a nurse and has to get to work regardless of weather.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a 09 basicly the same thing only thing is the key is differnt and you miss out on the herman kardon sound system. If you want more specifics feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
one owner private sales are my favorite, generally best way to get the best deals and maintained cars.

fairly basic Subaru offering since 1996 - EJ25 and 4EAT transmission. the engine and trans have undergone some changes but the 08 EJ25 short block can be installed in a 1996 legacy...heck, it can even be installed in a 1990 Legacy.

you would want to inspect the headgaskets - they leak externally. usually oil on the 08's but coolant is possible. you can check the head/engine mating surface underneath the vehicle or have someone familiar with Subarus check it. that particular engine is notable for this very specific headgasket issue.

you don't want someone unfamiliar with Subaru's to look at the headgasket - they'll do standard compression or leak down tests which are pointless on that motor.

timing belt is due at 105,000 miles. costs $450 - $700 at a dealer.
belt is $59 and tensioner is $100-$150 if you do it yourself. tensioner should be replaced on that year/engine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also had a 2009 Legacy leased for 3 years. Knew the car inside and out fairly well. PM me if needed.

Few issues to look after.

-Wheel bearings had issues that I had replaced under warranty.
-Check oil consumption, there were some issues with owners reporting 1QT loss per change.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same with me I leased mine for 3 years then bought it out since I loveded it so much

·
Registered
1 Posts
A nearby private party has an 08' Legacy Sedan with 101k miles that has been well maintained, auto transmission. I have an 00' Outback with 168k and love it. This would be to replace my wife's driver an 06' Jeep Liberty. We want something that is better on gas and more reliable, (I'm not a Chrysler fan) but will still do well in the snow. She is a nurse and has to get to work regardless of weather.

Thanks!
I'm doing the same swap 08 ej25 into my 98 legacy gt wagon what should I do about the wiring harnesses and the intake manifold being different?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm doing the same swap 08 ej25 into my 98 legacy gt wagon what should I do about the wiring harnesses and the intake manifold being different?
I just happen to see this thread...

But the easiest solution is to find another engine, preferably from a 97-99 LGT or Outback. Trying to get that era engine into your Outback is not readily viable. The 08 requires a harness and engine management that is very incompatible with your 98. At BEST you may be able to get away with just the short block, but then it's higher compression and poorly matched to your heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts