Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
112k, head gasket, timing belt & water pump just changed. No issues or leaks. $4,600. Just wondering if this is a good year? Appointment to see it is tomorrow. Are there any major issues you folks know of? Thank you for any pointers. It's got the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
^ What he said.

Not sure of your location but rust is definitely an area to be concerned about. Rear subframe/under body are areas to look at. Best if you can put it on a lift to check.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks eagleeye, that pretty much answers it. Not much to worry about, provided it was properly cared for, is how I read it.
I'll have a look underneath and check where the work was done.
Here's the ad:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-subaru-legacy-outback-awd/6301849377.html

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
320 Posts
If the owner has all or most of the service records on the car, that is a big plus.
I would have it checked out by a mechanic. Have it checked for RUST. There was a recall on the anti lock brakes. Until it was finally fixed right, I was having brake problems every 10k miles. Check axle seals,cv joints and boots. It looks well cared for. In my opinion, too high on price.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
If the owner has all or most of the service records on the car, that is a big plus.
I would have it checked out by a mechanic. Have it checked for RUST. There was a recall on the anti lock brakes. Until it was finally fixed right, I was having brake problems every 10k miles. Check axle seals,cv joints and boots. It looks well cared for. In my opinion, too high on price.
when was there a recall on brakes for a 2000-2004 variety outback.?

I remember the recalls for cruise control cable,...park pawl, and the re-spraying of the rear sub frame,
(had those 3 taken care of at the same time for my H6 car)

but. I think rusty brake lines were a recall for some 2005-2009 era vehicles

(and used subaru pricing in seattle is consistently "low supply, high demand" ,...in a really bad way).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...I just called him to ask the vin#, an hour before our scheduled appointment. Car sold, he says. Couple things didn't make sense, so it's all well and good.
Thank you for your replies. We recently started our search. My wife has wanted an outback for sometime, now. I understand it's not the best time for the best price. We will be patient for the right car, though. Take care guys! David.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,606 Posts
Be really, really careful for a while - there will be a LOT of Sub's (and other makes) on the market that got flooded during Harvey and Irma.

When looking at other cars, one of the usual area for rust is the edge of the wheel wells in the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts