Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer wants 4500 for the car. Took it for a test drive. It rode nice, straight as an arrow. 1 owner.

Anything I should watch out for with this many miles?

Do you think 4500$ is a fair price?

New Member here.....look forward to owning a subaru and to be a contributing member.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I have the same car, but one year newer, 106,000 miles...one owner......

1. is there any rust ? look underneath as well
2.do you have a carfax ?
3.What kind of shape is interior ? especially UNDER the floormat drivers side
4. Does everything work ?
5. Did you check oil level ? and all levels of fluids ?

do you have any pics ?

Its an AWESOME car...and although 217,000 is a lot...............IF it was cared for...like I care for cars........it will last 400,000..............

oil change schedule ?

What color ?

CARFAX is KEY !!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,653 Posts
seems slightly high for the miles but, desirable used cars are in high demand, plus, prices vary a lot with different markets.

I'd recommend getting a pre-purchase inspection by a soob-experienced mechanic. post your city and maybe someone can suggest a shop.

You could also try to get the seller to throw in a 60-90 day or w'ever warranty, ask for long-term, settle for short, or powertrain only. If they feel good about the car, it doesn't cost them much, but has value to you.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can post a link to the site. is that permitted?

the interior is in great shape. There is a little bubble rust in the drivers side rear 1/4 panel
and in the door well. nothing major. didnt check under drivers seat.

My location is Appleton WI.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what has failure rates at this high of mileage?

What would be a fair starting point in negotiation? cash, of course.

·
Registered
514 Posts
transmission with high miles could be issue....but its "luck of the draw" how maintained...etc..

What about carfax?

And.......... yes....you can post ad.......If REAL clean and carfax......4500 not bad...like OLT said....get a 30 day warranty......or is it being sold " as is" ?

·
Premium Member
18,653 Posts
can't help with negotiation. You might talk to your banker. Even though you aren't getting a loan, they see car prices all the time, have access to black books, blue books and know the local markets and businesses. Rule of thumb would be to start negotiation at 15% +/- under asking - but that's a very rough number.

some folks say valve adjustment may be necessary at 200K. $$$$ others seem unconcerned.

some fluid flushing if not done, serpentine belt pulley bearings, maybe some hard o-rings in A/C lines and power steering pump. easy/cheap

shocks/struts, suspension bushings, normal stuff for used cars of course.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
I paid $3,300 for my '01 VDC with about 226,000 on it. It was a 2-owner, and the 2nd owner purchased it with around 6k on it. It's in overall very good condition. There are 2 spots of rust that I hope to get taken care of this spring. It needed tires and some other small stuff. Also needs valve cover gaskets, which I'm hoping to do in the near future.

As for warranty, NONE of the warranty companies I'm aware of will put a warranty on anything with over 150,000 miles on it.

The dealer I bought mine from has an excellent track record with his warranty company, and they wouldn't touch mine for coverage, period.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This car looks REAL CLEAN !!! I would go down an offer $ 3800. 00 CASH and BUY IT!!! even ....IF..... you had to put in $ 1000.00 or so.. its a GREAT car....

Get at least a SEVEN day warranty in case CEL comes on.

I do not need a car....but if it was closer....I would buy it after checking it out

Get the carfax.......

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I am in Appleton WI. if anyone knows of a good subaru shop I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
I paid $5500 for an 01 Bean with 137k. Price seems high to me.

I would inspect struts, ball joints, tie rods and bushings.

Drive it over some bumps and see how she handles.

As reliable as Subaru is I think average automatic transmission life span is not more than 225k so something to watch for as mentioned by previous poster.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
H6 is also not immune to a head gasket failure. I would inspect the coolant. If it is cloudy at all or appears to have some other contaminates in it I would walk away.

Check transfluid as well.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
This car looks REAL CLEAN !!! I would go down an offer $ 3800. 00 CASH and BUY IT!!! even ....IF..... you had to put in $ 1000.00 or so.. its a GREAT car....

Get at least a SEVEN day warranty in case CEL comes on.

I do not need a car....but if it was closer....I would buy it after checking it out

Get the carfax.......
1) No warranty company will put ANY warranty on a car with over 200k on it.
2) Even IF you could get one, it would be strictly drivetrain. CEL is considered electrical in most cases, and wouldn't be covered.

Most small used car dealers around here won't even mess with CEL anymore.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. took the outback to a mechanic for pre purchace inspection.

car will need left front inner tie rod
and brakes and rotors all around.

everything else checked out as "good" cv boot/shaft, ball joints , U joints etc.

I dont know if I want to tackle the tie rod, but I'm pretty sure I can do the brakes. Anything special I kneed to know about doing the brakes?

I'm going to offer the dealer 3700 as is.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
ok. took the outback to a mechanic for pre purchace inspection.

car will need left front inner tie rod
and brakes and rotors all around.

everything else checked out as "good" cv boot/shaft, ball joints , U joints etc.

I dont know if I want to tackle the tie rod, but I'm pretty sure I can do the brakes. Anything special I kneed to know about doing the brakes?

I'm going to offer the dealer 3700 as is.
Brakes are a piece of cake on these. Discs on all four wheels, nothing out of the ordinary at all.

·
Premium Member
18,653 Posts
only thing a little odd is the parking brake gear inside the center part of the rear disks. Just inspect the little shoes and stuff - if everything still works, leave as-is. Make sure to double check parts handed to you over a counter as some folks have had some rotor diameter or other confusion on 02 Outbacks. Might be limited to the 4 cylinder but, still could be a confusion factor.

but yeah, brakes are not a showstopper at all. (try Centric rotors and Centric Posiquiet Ceramic pads for an affordable, long-lasting combination - nothing wrong with Subaru/OEM except $$$$)

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Looks like a good find... I'd say you're doing the $ deal just about right, too. Appleton eh? Hi to my Air Whisky homies...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts