Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am looking into buying an Outback. This is a link to the car http://www.southworthchevroletbuick...-2.5i_Limited_Automatic-Bloomer-WI/3031482743
It has just a hair over 100k on it. Is there anything I should check when looking at it? From the pictures it looks great! Are there any trouble spots for rust I should check? I am bring the car back to Minnesota so rust is a concern for me. Thank you for any help that you can provide. This is going to be my first decent car and I have owned a lot of cars so I want to be sure is good.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,053 Posts
100,000 miles is the limit on the newly announced extended warranty on the CVT trans in that.

I would be looking for a fluid change on that CVT. (takes some fancy subaru CVT fluid too).

maybe consider a 3rd party power-train warranty that will pay out for a CVT or engine problem in the first half a year of you owning it.

edit: and in Wisconsin I would be looking for odd rust/ corrosion underneath, maybe worn struts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. I will look into that. What about timing belt? Is the old standby of replacing at 100k still true?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,053 Posts
Thank you for your help. I will look into that. What about timing belt? Is the old standby of replacing at 100k still true?
yeah,

timing belt "kit" , 105,000 miles or 105 months

some lazy dealers just replace the belt, but the idlers / tensioners/ pulleys may fail before the rubber belt.....some want $600 for a kit, others want $250.

nothing out of the ordinary for a regular non-dealer mechanic to replace though.

here is a basic maint. schedule to review

2012 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

1 - 5 of 5 Posts