Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current vehicle: 2004 Outback L.L. Bean (H6-3.0), Silver Stone Metallic, Exterior has very minor wear and tear...nothing bad and no rust (have to look sort of close to see the issues), interior is in great shape, 131k miles.

Looking at: 2009 Outback 3.0R, Dark Gray (Black?), loaded with everything minus nav and remote start, Absolutely Flawless, 33k miles.

The dealer in question is asking a little under 21k for the 2009, which I personally don't think is too bad from what I'm seeing.

I'm considering trading my 2004 so I don't have to deal with the hassle of selling it, having two vehicles registered for a while, etc. What do you think I should shoot for them giving me? KBB says "good" trade is about $4500, which I feel is sort of low, especially since this dealer is selling a 2004 LL Bean for 14k right now (which is insane, but still...), granted it only has 60k miles and looks mint. Any opinions? What do you think a dealer would give me realistically?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Might be worth trying to sell yours for way under it's value, just try for two weeks and see what happens? For instance, take that 14K dealer car....if they offered $8k trade in for that one probably would have easily sold for $10,000. $4,000 less than the dealer but you made 2G's.

Friend of mine actually just did that this summer and I helped them buy exactly what you're selling - they paid $9,500 for one with 60,000 or 80,000 miles I forget, 2003 H6 and all. Guy and his wife sold it on craigslist. I found it, test drove it with them, looked it over, etc.

Around here yours would sell fast if you put a good price on it, I would think the same up there.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I have nothing to offer but a comment, "$21K is so close to a new Premium that I can almost taste that new car smell";)

Disclaimer: I have always been the sort to spend a couple of bucks more that I didn't have to buy new w/warranty.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have nothing to offer but a comment, "$21K is so close to a new Premium that I can almost taste that new car smell";)

Disclaimer: I have always been the sort to spend a couple of bucks more that I didn't have to buy new w/warranty.
...but it's about 10-11k away from a 3.6R limited. Without sparking a 4 vs 6 cyl debate, there's no chance of me buying a four cylinder outback...as far as the limited, well, I'm spoiled by my L.L. Bean and I don't really want to go without the stuff it's got now.

Plus, I'm not too crazy about the 2010+ models.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be worth trying to sell yours for way under it's value, just try for two weeks and see what happens? For instance, take that 14K dealer car....if they offered $8k trade in for that one probably would have easily sold for $10,000. $4,000 less than the dealer but you made 2G's.

Friend of mine actually just did that this summer and I helped them buy exactly what you're selling - they paid $9,500 for one with 60,000 or 80,000 miles I forget, 2003 H6 and all. Guy and his wife sold it on craigslist. I found it, test drove it with them, looked it over, etc.

Around here yours would sell fast if you put a good price on it, I would think the same up there.
I bought my 2004 L.L. Bean for $7300 (also on Craigslist, from a family a couple hours from me) a year and a half ago. There are some things I've fixed/improved but some very minor road rash type stuff I've added. Realistically, I don't think I could get much more than $6500 on a private sale. I think if they were willing to give me $5500 or so on trade, I'd take it, but I definitely wouldn't go lower than $6000 on a private sale.

I have no doubt I could sell it quick, it's just the whole process of a sale (and associated complications) that I would avoid if the difference that I'd get isn't that huge.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I wonder if I could use the mint '04 LL Bean they're selling at the ridiculous price as leverage to get the trade value higher. Mine has double the miles, but the condition probably isn't hugely different.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
...but it's about 10-11k away from a 3.6R limited. Without sparking a 4 vs 6 cyl debate, there's no chance of me buying a four cylinder outback...as far as the limited, well, I'm spoiled by my L.L. Bean and I don't really want to go without the stuff it's got now.

Plus, I'm not too crazy about the 2010+ models.
That's why I said I had nothing to offer.;);) You are right on track for your wants and needs. Hope you score. It sounds like a nice car.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I said I had nothing to offer.;);) You are right on track for your wants and needs. Hope you score. It sounds like a nice car.
I don't know about needs, it's all "wants." :D I don't need 250 HP and just about every option imaginable, but I sure want it! Like I said, the L.L. Bean has spoiled me.

I definitely see your point, and if I were looking at an H4 Outback of that age for that price, it would definitely make sense to just get a new one.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
right on, selling cars can be annoying i can understand that. how many miles? i'm tempted to buy yours for $6k and sell it for $7k myself. LOL

i think you're on the right track to leverage the one on the lot. do you have another dealer you could visit and see what they offer? that trade in stuff is so ambiguous. you know they'd sell the car for nearly twice that, crazy mojo's.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
201 Posts
Have you considered stepping up to a gen 4 Outback; 2010 or newer? It is a significatly more substantial vehicle that 2009 or ealier models. The most significant trade off is poorer handling with gen 4 however. Resale down the road should be substantially better with gen 4 too. You seem to like the H6. They are hard to find as most people seem satisifed with the H4. Personally I splurged on the H6 as I felt it well worth the premium for the improved performance and the more sophisticated AWD system. As far as what to pay, my advsie is to look at KBB, Edmunds, etc. online to see what is a fair price for trade and purchase. Dealers of course will try to low ball you. That is their job. But with a little effort you should be able to get at least the going rate you see online. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right on, selling cars can be annoying i can understand that. how many miles? i'm tempted to buy yours for $6k and sell it for $7k myself. LOL

i think you're on the right track to leverage the one on the lot. do you have another dealer you could visit and see what they offer? that trade in stuff is so ambiguous. you know they'd sell the car for nearly twice that, crazy mojo's.
Mine has just under 131k...probably will have hit that by the time I get rid of it if I do go for this '09.

I'm actually going to a dealer about an hour from me, since I am not a huge fan of the one close to me (which shall remain nameless) for a number of reasons.

What I wanted was pretty specific--an '08 or '09 3.0R in really nice shape with relatively low mileage. They're tough to find! I hunted a while before I found this one. Most dealers have a huge abundance of H4s in just about any year, but not H6s!

Have you considered stepping up to a gen 4 Outback; 2010 or newer? It is a significatly more substantial vehicle that 2009 or ealier models. The most significant trade off is poorer handling with gen 4 however. Resale down the road should be substantially better with gen 4 too. You seem to like the H6. They are hard to find as most people seem satisifed with the H4. Personally I splurged on the H6 as I felt it well worth the premium for the improved performance and the more sophisticated AWD system. As far as what to pay, my advsie is to look at KBB, Edmunds, etc. online to see what is a fair price for trade and purchase. Dealers of course will try to low ball you. That is their job. But with a little effort you should be able to get at least the going rate you see online. Good luck!
I'm not all that thrilled with the 2010+ Outbacks. They seem a little too crossover-ish to me. I really like the lifted AWD wagon spirit of the 09 and earlier models.

I agree with you on the H6. We have three H4 Outbacks (family members' cars), and I don't like driving them much because I feel they have quite a lack of power. My L.L. Bean is an H6 but has the conventional AWD system...this '09 would have the 45/55 split which should be nice--though I doubt either one has a huge advantage over the other. Heck, I think my H6 is a little underpowered sometimes, but that's probably more the transmission than anything. This '09 will have a 5EAT and a little more horsepower which should help with that. I thought about an XT, but don't want to deal with a turbo. The reliability of an H6 is pretty unbeatable.

As far as book value goes, the pricing on this '09 isn't bad at all from what I can see. I think they were asking 20,900. I'd like to try to get them a bit under 20, with the trade maybe a final cost of about 13k...but we'll see what happens there.

·
Registered
'15 Limited White/Black ES,Nav,Moonroof,Powergate,HK audio '15 Premium Wilderness Green/Ivory Eyesight Powergate
25 Posts
I bought an '07 LLBean with 51k miles H6 about two months ago that was a CPO and was is in excellent condition and I paid $18,400 and they wouldn't budge. I have to say I'm really glad I pulled the trigger as I love it and without getting into the whole 4cyl/6cyl deal I'll just say that I absolutely love the smoothness and ride of the H6.
I think you'll be very happy with the '09 but I don't think you're going to get them to budge too much on price especially if they are selling it as a CPO vehicle. Good luck with your deal maybe you can get them up a bit on your trade but I doubt with 131k you're going to get much more then 5k on trade as dealers are pretty tough on their trade values when you have 100k+ on the odo.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought an '07 LLBean with 51k miles H6 about two months ago that was a CPO and was is in excellent condition and I paid $18,400 and they wouldn't budge. I have to say I'm really glad I pulled the trigger as I love it and without getting into the whole 4cyl/6cyl deal I'll just say that I absolutely love the smoothness and ride of the H6.
I think you'll be very happy with the '09 but I don't think you're going to get them to budge too much on price especially if they are selling it as a CPO vehicle. Good luck with your deal maybe you can get them up a bit on your trade but I doubt with 131k you're going to get much more then 5k on trade as dealers are pretty tough on their trade values when you have 100k+ on the odo.
I agree...after having an H6 and experiencing the H4s, that's one place I won't compromise. Can't beat the smoothness, how silent it is, and the power isn't too bad either.

That makes me feel a little better about their asking price, since it's two years newer and has fewer miles going for only $2500 more. I guess I can just see what I can do. Though 13k would be awesome, after doing the math I think a realistic amount would probably be no higher than $15k with the trade...guess it's just a matter of seeing how much they'll budge and what I can talk them into giving me for mine. Realistically, if I couldn't get them to move too much and the car drives and looks as nice as it does in the pictures, I might go a slightly higher. I really, really, like the looks of this '09. Though, if they said "$4k for your trade and we're not budging from $21k on the price," there's no way I'd take that!

You know, I might almost regret getting a vehicle that looks like it's in nearly perfect condition. With my '04, I'm not afraid to take it some places because it's got enough little imperfections already. This '09 would not be going on some of those cow paths and logging roads!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts