Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be getting my hands on the pioneer avh-x3500bhs,now I need to install this with a backup camera anyone have good reviews on there's or is the oem one worth the money

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
First off you don't need to spend a bunch of $$$ to get a good camera. What you need to look for is:

Price doesn't equal quality! Remember most ALL of cameras are made in china....

1) Fits your vehicle (or you can adapt; being creative)

2) High TV lines ie: 380TV lines is lowest 580TV lines has a clearer image

3) Lux number: (Minimum illumination needed for night vision) Lower is better 0.01

4) Guide lines included in image (not all do)

5) Lens Angle: Higher number is wider view. 170 is good

6) Ask seller if it fits before buying

7) Wired is much better than wireless. (interference can happen)

8) Forgot; Reverse image selectable

For my 2003 I chose the one below. Because it is older they don't usually offer a direct fit but I made the one below work/mount for me. I'll post a couple of pics but for now here are a couple of links.

1) The one I bought

2) For a 2007 - 2011

3) eBay listings

First pic are the garage doors; 20 inches from camera. In the middle pic the white in the upper left is my shed which is 25 feet away. Both taken at 3am with only reverse lights for illumination. Extremely clear during the day. The 2nd to the last pic shows it mounted with silicone; in my case....

Added Pic from this morning (overcast sky)

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I have one on each car, a cheap one on the OB and a better one on my Accord. The one on the OB fits on the hatch in one of the plate lights and the one on the Accord is a simple plate bar. The one on the OB is supposed to be a Sony CCD and the one on the Accord is a BOYO that I got years ago and am not sure of the specs. All I can say is that the BOYO looks far better than the cheap one that I got for the OB. I bought another cheap on for my Accord because I like the plate light look but had both on the Accord and tried them back to back with the same lighting conditions and there was no comparison. I would get one that is as expensive as you can afford.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get both sides cheap or expensive was think about going for a pioneer because i will be getting the head unit,i know this doesnt matter but i still dont know if i am buying the name or how well the camera works

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I would get the more expensive. The quality is far and away much different. If you are putting on a camera to be able to say that you have a back up camera than get what you want. If you want to be able to use it at some point than get a name brand.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went the cheap way,bought one from eBay that looks about stock,so well install this bad boy and everything else...around next month or so...camerA won't come in till around then anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts