Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 White Limited Outback and 99' Outback MT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good person to work on Subaru's in Virginia. I'm in Hampton Roads, but don't mind traveling a bit for a good mechanic who knows their Subies. I have a 99' Outback (2.2 5spd) with 176K. Generally, it appears to be in great shape.

I continue to get screwed locally (in Virginia Beach) and just don't trust anyone here. My last go to person that I used for years charged me $275 last year to read my check engine codes and check the brakes. They doubled the diagnostic fee and charged $75 for a brake check without prior approval, then refused to give the car back unless I paid in full. Obviously not going back there! I've used the local dealer (Perry) for work before, but don't want to go that route this time. I've always gotten the feeling that no one likes working on this car.

I think the car is throwing the P0420 code along with a few others related to it. I'm not at home where the records are, but it was the code related to the IACV. Most of the time the car operates fine, but sometimes the engine revs in idle a little bit and on occasion it stalls when coming to a stop.

I was planning on cleaning the IACV and engine using Sea Foam and then bringing it in for a tune-up and then further diagnostic/repair on the P0420. I also need new front brakes (possibly), right bellow boot, a new battery and some other little things like tag lights. I probably need a new washer fluid assembly because the front wipers pump seems to be broken. Was planning on trying to get a used one ebay and just paying for the install. I also want someone to check for rust and give it a good look over.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend any money I don't need to, but want to get these things taken care of to keep the car in good shape as I am planning to sell it later this year.

I just have no idea where to take it!

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good person to work on Subaru's in Virginia. I'm in Hampton Roads, but don't mind traveling a bit for a good mechanic who knows their Subies. I have a 99' Outback (2.2 5spd) with 176K. Generally, it appears to be in great shape.

I continue to get screwed locally (in Virginia Beach) and just don't trust anyone here. My last go to person that I used for years charged me $275 last year to read my check engine codes and check the brakes. They doubled the diagnostic fee and charged $75 for a brake check without prior approval, then refused to give the car back unless I paid in full. Obviously not going back there! I've used the local dealer (Perry) for work before, but don't want to go that route this time. I've always gotten the feeling that no one likes working on this car.

I think the car is throwing the P0420 code along with a few others related to it. I'm not at home where the records are, but it was the code related to the IACV. Most of the time the car operates fine, but sometimes the engine revs in idle a little bit and on occasion it stalls when coming to a stop.

I was planning on cleaning the IACV and engine using Sea Foam and then bringing it in for a tune-up and then further diagnostic/repair on the P0420. I also need new front brakes (possibly), right bellow boot, a new battery and some other little things like tag lights. I probably need a new washer fluid assembly because the front wipers pump seems to be broken. Was planning on trying to get a used one ebay and just paying for the install. I also want someone to check for rust and give it a good look over.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend any money I don't need to, but want to get these things taken care of to keep the car in good shape as I am planning to sell it later this year.

I just have no idea where to take it!

Thank you for your help!
ladydub, did you ever find a good subaru mechanic in the area? I'm looking too. thanks. Carl/Chesapeake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts