Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 (Gen 5)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through 3 sun shades for my windshield and I don't like any of them. I have the Weather Tech and don't like how floppy it is. I have an accordion style one; it's actually okay, but doesn't fit well. I also have one of the big floppy ones that fold up like an origami taco; it's okay.

Any recommendations for a good windshield sun shade?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
404 Posts
I have the one Subaru sells. It's expensive, but it's the best one out there, especially if your car has Eyesight.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
My cousin, just this week, got me something called the brella shield.

It basically opens as an umbrella and then you can lean it up. I have to open it up over the passenager side, but it works.

The best part is putting it away. It is like a small totes umbrella I can put in the back. (so for me it is easy storage and access).

Goes under eyesight, and the visor holds it up.

Still think I have to be really careful... but...

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
I never would have bought it... but he did and I'm not sorry I think... he uses it for his Volvo SUV and his Ram truck.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring
292 Posts
Costco, $9.99, cheap and dirty as they say.
Yea, it's clumsy but it seems to get the job done. Even an intellectual can probably figure it out.
Knocks maybe 10 degrees of heat off the interior down heah on S Fla's Sun Coast.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
704 Posts
I also like the OEM Subaru shade. It is expensive, but fits well and like it is supposed to. . .

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium, White with black cloth.
28 Posts
I just went through this same scenario with help from this group. I ended up buying the HeatShield Brand. Pricey but very nice. It fits around the eyesight cameras. The one problem I encountered though was; when installing the shade it could easily slip into the gap at the bottom of the windshield( between dash trim and glass ). I eneded up stuffing some 1/2 inch diameter foam backer rod into the gap. I did 3 layers all the way across the dash. You cannot see it and it helps to keep the shade in position. Backer Rod can be had at big box home improvement stores. Typically in the window section next to weather striping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Was going to go for the Costco one myself at my local store. Couldn't find it anywhere. Finally asked front desk apparently its no longer carried in store and now an online only special for $29.95 :( Struck out.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
299 Posts
I love my Subaru shade and I feel it's worth the cost. I do not have eyesight so I have gaps where there is a cutout for the ES system. However, I do have a dash camera so the ES cutout allows me to install the shade without hitting the camera. The build quality is excellent but don't toss or rest anything on it when not in use. One time I had it on the back seat and the wife tossed our bike helmets on top of it. Something as light as a bike helmet made a dent/impression on it.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6ARGH
1 Posts
I hate buying things from Amazon, but A1 shades for $14 is a fantastic buy. Folds up, and I keep it in the side of the passenger seat so it's out of the way. Covers eyesight with no problem whatsoever.

Not sure if the link will go to the size I have selected, but you will want medium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts