Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are the proud owners of a 2013 Subaru Outback, but what I normaly drive is an aging 1997 Nissan Altima with over 150K miles. Currently it requires new half shafts, brakes, new windshield, and exhaust system. These repairs especialy the half shafts are more than the car is worth. It still runs and gets me to work and back, but I dnt know how long it will be alive. I have been looking at the following cars to replace it:
2007-2010 Mini Cooper hardtop
Toyota Corolla
Nissan Altima Coupe
Kia Soul
Honda Civic
Honda Fit
Pontiac G5 GT

I would like to find something reliable I wont need to mess with. I really like the Mini Cooper and have purposefully stayed away from Mini Coopers with automatics 2002-2005 as there were many cvt failures and this is why newer ones have conventional transmissions. They even have a building class action lawsuit brewing as many of these cars had failures between 70K and 80K like clockwork.

Do anyone know anything about Mini Coopers and how reliable they are?

Jo

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
I would like to find something reliable I wont need to mess with.
there only 1 word you need to know if you want reliable...
HONDA
The fit is bullet proof.... watch out for the current gen civic... 2011 or 2012 could be problematic... but older ones are good for 350K miles! 200K miles if you a ricer and Mod the heck out of it!
sorry it is NOT mini Cooper....

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Rasterwoman has a 2007 Hyundai accent hatch. I do all the maintenance, and occasionally drive it myself. I'm blown away by how little it costs to operate. Sure, it has few features beyond transportation but the value proposition is solid.

32-36 mpg, oil change at home costs about $11.50 all up. Lifetime repair costs (excluding wear items and programmed maintenance) are under $200 so far.

Not at all like my subie, but as far as cheap reliable transportation goes this thing is phenomenal.

Kia soul shares a lot with the Accent, I'd expect similar value.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Toyota or Honda

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Honda Civic - is OUR second car. 2009 with 78K on it now with no issues other than rear Weathertech deflectors flying off... LOL

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
Friends of mine with Minis have had LOTS of issues. Kind of like VW enthusiasts, Mini fans will pay to get them fixed and tell you how perfect they are. I have worked on them... And they are typical of German over engineering. Hard to work on... Expensive... And failure prone.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
My second car, to get back and forth to work, is a Miata. Super reliable and probably the most fun you can have driving a car. If you can get away with a two seat roadster you can find them pretty cheap. Just a thought.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
yeah, I would probably own a Mazda before any Pontiac or Kia.

I drove an 81 Honda Civic wagon for 19 years.

but if you're talking about used cars - their previous care and present condition are more important than 'brand'. pay for a pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a Corolla (Japan built) from 1994 until 2012 when I got rear-ended. Besides Oil/Fluid changes, occasional brake and tire maintenance, the only problem it had was a bad alternator, and a power window failure. It was a NYC street parked car (and looked horrible) and drove through all kind of bad potholes without any issues but a bent steel wheel and lost hub caps. I would still be using it as a station car if it hadn't been totaled.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Pontiac G5s are decently reliable, but don't buy one expecting refinement. They are a cheap, clunky FWD car using 20 year old minivan suspension. The rear wheels are not even independent... 2 wheel alignment only. Ecotec is a solid engine though, they run for quite a while. Just keep the oil changed on schedule and they will keep going. By the way, the Ecotec 2.2 is the easiest engine I've ever had to change oil on.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Corolla is the ultimate proletariat transportation appliance.
Civic if you want a bit of sportiness thrown in on your drive.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Corolla is the ultimate proletariat transportation appliance.
Civic if you want a bit of sportiness thrown in on your drive.
That is a pretty good description of most Toyotas.

"Hi, Welcome to Toyota!"
"Yes, I would like to purchase a beige transportation appliance"
"Okay, small, medium, or large?"
"Hmm. I think I'll take a small"
"Okay, here are the keys. Have a nice day!"

*drives away in Corolla*

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Avoid the Kia Soul and Pontiac. I've had the displeasure of driving both as rentals and I can't even imagine what it would be like having to drive them to work every day.

Any Carolla will give you years of reliable service. Said service will be a tad noisy due to interior rattles but that's not why you buy a Toyota. Go pre-2005.

I'd go with the Fit over the Civic which isn't to say the Civic sucks. The fit is just a better package.

The Altima coupe is an also-ran but plenty great.

The Mini is a bit of a crap shoot. They're a lot of fun but older models tend to have a lot of squeaks and rattles. Reliability won't be an issue.

Have you looked at the Impreza?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Avoid the Kia Soul and Pontiac. I've had the displeasure of driving both as rentals and I can't even imagine what it would be like having to drive them to work every day.
I owned a Soul for a year and a half. It was fine as a daily driver, just ultimately wound up being too small. Much more satisfying to drive than my OB was. Didn't have a single defect show up in the time I owned it, compared to about 8-9 warranty repairs on the OB in the same time period.

For the price, I'd recommend a Soul to anyone considering it. Just don't buy the ! package with the 18" wheels. Very rough ride. Stick to the base 15" or the +'s 16".

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I can only second the Toyota/Honda comments.

But I'll throw in Hyundai as a good competitor. I just sold my wife's '06 Elantra with 50k miles and it had 0 issues. She kept up with regular service before we met, a I continued. Honestly, if it was a 5 speed, I probably would have kept it and drove it into the ground. IMO, Hyundai has come a LONG way in the last decade and can easily stand with Honda and Toyota in terms on long cost of ownership.

If I were looking for a cheap 2nd car and didn't care about AWD, Hyundai would probably be top on my list.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback all. I have thought about an Impreza but the ones up her for sale all hae over 120K miles and are still over $10K Nuts. I guess it goes to show Subies hold their value

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix run the Toyota Corolla engine which is a chain TB. My brother has the Matrix 230,000 miles on it all he's basically done is put tires on it and change the oil. Not the smoothest riding or the most quiet interior but as a cheap get from point A to B type car you can't get anything else thats as low cost and reliable for the money. Lousy in the snow though so be prepared to put good snow tires on it if you go that route.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback all. I have thought about an Impreza but the ones up her for sale all hae over 120K miles and are still over $10K Nuts. I guess it goes to show Subies hold their value
Same here, any Subaru less than 10yrs old and 100k is well over $10k. Keep any eye on Autotrader and expand your search area. It took me a few months, but I was able to find an '06 Forester, original owner with less than 75k for $10.5k. Just have to find the right person wanting to sell at the right price.

I shyed away from Imprezas simply because they tend to be "tuner" cars and I wouldn't trust a used one with moderate mileage, unless it was truly a single owner and I was buying straight from said owner.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
test drove a Matrix when we were shopping years ago. Glad to hear they are holding up.

it was on our short list, but rejected as too small for our purposes.(needed more cargo space as we were replacing a minivan)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts