Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 2010 outback and don't want to mount my Garmin to the windshield
I was wondering were you may have mounted yours? Pictures would be most welcome... I may try a "vech. specific mount" from profit, you have to remove the center trim and screw it just under the right center AC vent. this just leaves a small metal part and ball mount exposed, I'm not sure just how much it can be tilted toward the driver since the center of the dash is rounded out.

Picture is not of an Outback but would be similar...

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
I mount mine over by the inspection and registration stickers.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Garmin A Post.JPG
I use a proclip on the left windshield pillar, below the limit for the side air bag, and like it a lot. Granted, I haven't done anything with the cord, since I have to take it off in some parking areas, but it works for me.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Here's another suggestion. There's a new mounting device that has become very popular called the "nGroove" by Mountek. http://www.mountek.com/. It simply fits into a CD slot and locks in place. The device holder is fully adjustable and will fit a phone or GPS easily. I have one to use when I travel and want to use my gps in a rental car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Here was my solution on my 2011 while I had it.

GPS Resize.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay - has anyone used this GPS mount (as suggested in the earlier post) on their 2010 OB 2.5i -
Mountek's CD Slot Mount, Universal Hands-Free Car Mount for Cell Phones & GPS Devices (Garmin, TomTom, iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, HTC) +More!

<dl class="attributeList priceBlock"><dt class="price">Price:</dt><dd class="price"> $19.95 </dd></dl>This looks like a good solution w/o any mods required. Can anyone think of any negative features. I'm guessing you can easily pop this mount in or out when you want to use your Garmin nuvi GPS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was hoping someone else had already tried this mount and would comment on how it performs - and would they buy this mount again.

What are the chances that the plastic tabs that go into the CD slot breaking off inside of the CD slot?

This item could be a good GPS (as well as cell phone) mounting solution if it is sturdy and works as advertised.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
View attachment 27269
I use a proclip on the left windshield pillar, below the limit for the side air bag, and like it a lot. Granted, I haven't done anything with the cord, since I have to take it off in some parking areas, but it works for me.
I have it there as well but I hard-wired Nuvi to the fuse box below with hard-wire kit from Amazon (sold by EDO Tech) then you just push the wire between the side of dash board and side panel...that way you can take the GPS off and just leave a small portion of the cord and plug sticking out...

·
Registered
2008 OB2.5i LTD
179 Posts
I mount my Garmin to a Zeikos IR-MAT36 Dash Mount Holder (Amazon) and place it in the corner of driver's A pillar. This keeps it in line of sight without looking away from the road. Dash mount makes for quicker and easier removal when parking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
lloyd123, I thought your approach looked great so I tried the same approach, except, the 1st Garmin mount with the extended arm arrived broken - the black plastic that holds the metal swivel pin broke off at the top so the pin fell out. The 2nd (replacement) mount arrived unbroken but the plastic broke in the same area the first time I used it. I emailed Garmin about this weak point and never heard back from them.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Okay - has anyone used this GPS mount (as suggested in the earlier post) on their 2010 OB 2.5i -
Mountek's CD Slot Mount, Universal Hands-Free Car Mount for Cell Phones & GPS Devices (Garmin, TomTom, iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, HTC) +More!

<DL class="attributeList priceBlock"><DT class=price>Price:<DD class=price> $19.95 </DD></DL>This looks like a good solution w/o any mods required. Can anyone think of any negative features. I'm guessing you can easily pop this mount in or out when you want to use your Garmin nuvi GPS.
I got one of those, the clamps didn't open wide enough to hold my garmin. I wound up dismantling the thing, glueing a garmin disc to the remains and using the suction cup to hold the garmin. I use it in the Dodge Grand Caravan that I drive for work.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I have it there as well but I hard-wired Nuvi to the fuse box below with hard-wire kit from Amazon (sold by EDO Tech) then you just push the wire between the side of dash board and side panel...that way you can take the GPS off and just leave a small portion of the cord and plug sticking out...
jogosub. Thanks, I'll get around to doing that one of these days.
Bill

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
jogosub. Thanks, I'll get around to doing that one of these days.
Bill
Yep - and then I just keep the cig. lighter Garmin power cord, when I travel...make sure the hard wire kit has an antenna built in, if you have Garmin with traffic!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts