Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Impreza Outback Wagon 2.2 -- over 200K miles.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All -- I just joined today. Hoping to learn a lot about Subis!

I've enjoyed my '96 Impreza wagon 2.2 for 16 years -- many miles of trouble-free driving. Recently it gave me a bit of trouble when the speedometer stopped working. My mechanic says I need an output speed sensor (VSS) -- it's the sensor attached to the transmission. Can't find one new or used -- does anyone have thoughts on where I might find one?

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
There's no sensor. The speedometer is cable-driven. There is a reed-type sensor inside the speedometer, used by TCM and cruise control. But it may still be a broken cable adapter threaded into the differential case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Need VSS

Thank you for your response. One day after the speedometer/odometer stopped working, the check engine light came on. When my mechanic checked the cause of the warning light the message was that I needed a VSS. The car is an automatic -- does that make a difference? So....if I need a cable adapter instead, are those hard to find as well?

There's no sensor. The speedometer is cable-driven. There is a reed-type sensor inside the speedometer, used by TCM and cruise control. But it may still be a broken cable adapter threaded into the differential case.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
There's no sensor. The speedometer is cable-driven.
if this is true, (and it is not true for the 96 legacy,) then the speed sensor is actually part of the speedo.

and your problem is likely a busted speedo cable.
or maybe the sensor in the speedo, but this is a distant 2nd.
or the speedo gears in the front diff, a very distant 3rd.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
legacy did away with the speedo cable in 95.
it looks like impreza kept it until 98? or so.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Yep, they did away with the cable in 1998, when the dashboard and interior were updated to the new Forester style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your helpful replies to this thread. Based on your feedback I tried a new mechanic for a second opinion on my speedometer problem. All who said it was the speedometer adaptor are the winners!! I'm happily back to knowing how fast I'm going and racking up the miles toward 300K. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts