Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted in title, my transmission is failing, torque converter slip/chatter/vibration. A quick search on car-part shows limited choices. The actual part number that Subaru lists is 3100AF950 which corresponds with TV1B4MB5AB. The Turbo Baja unit is a sport shift model. What else will work in my Baja? Will a unit from a non sport shift car work, just loosing the sport shift functions? Or is that just electronics handled by the TCM and shifter? I have a chance to pickup a low mileage unit from a 2001 Impreza RS with the same 4.44 ratio. Aside from possible durability issues would that work. Should be part number 31000AD830/TZ1A2ZJEBA. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on interchange with other units.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
You're going to find locating the "correct" transmission isn't going to be easy. They changed from year to year and within same models. You might do better going through JDM? I wouldn't recommend any other transmission configuration other than exactly what you have. You'll run into ratio problems, sensor problems, etc.

You might try to contact this guy at HEXMODS. He knows a lot about the subaru transmissions and may be helpful in what will actually work.

I have a 2005 OB w/3.0L sportshift and it has 3:27 ratio.

There are others on here that can also offer some good advice but you may have to be patient.

Good Luck!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
miles on what you got.? rare things maybe worth fixing,

JDM places might have some matching odd things though. (getting them to sell and pick the right one might mean going to them vs. letting them ship the wrong one).

I guess you could also swap in a manual, ...just need some tuner to reflash the ECU to stop looking for the TCU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The current box has 230K, Engine has complete rebuild with new short block 10K ago, and it is my daily. The box I found from the RS appear to only have different ratios in 1st and 2nd. All other gears and diff are the same. I don't mind swapping or modding if needed to make it work but want a complete unit to put in. The unit in question has 140K and the guy just wants it gone, probably get it for $100. All the "correct" units from yards at $1000+++.

Ill have to reach out to the guy at HEXMODS. Do you know his name?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.