Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Limited White/Black ES,Nav,Moonroof,Powergate,HK audio '15 Premium Wilderness Green/Ivory Eyesight Powergate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 2007 Subaru OB H6 LLbean edition tomorrow. Has 51k on odo and looks to be in tip top shape. Original owner vehicle that was garage kept and service records seem to show it was cared for.
Anyway what if anything should I be aware of to look for besides the usual used car stuff. Seems from my reading that the H6 OBs are well thought of for their reliability and smooth engine performance. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
'15 Limited White/Black ES,Nav,Moonroof,Powergate,HK audio '15 Premium Wilderness Green/Ivory Eyesight Powergate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went to test drive and check out the '07 LLbean edition and it was in excellent mechanical shape. Drove smooth as butter and road noise was non-existent. First time I've had a chance to try the H6 engine and I'm not sure it was a good idea as it makes me look at the 2.5L in a whole different light!
I'm glad to say I pulled the trigger and I'll be picking it up next week. With 51k on the odo it feels like it's just gotten broken in.
I drove a '10 2.5 ltd with 42k on it and an '09 premium awp with 22k on it and the LLbean was by far my preferred ride. The '09 was nice as well but the '10 LTD was a bit of a disappointment. I figured it would feel just like our new '13 2.5L LTD but it felt cheap in comparison and I just couldn't get a good feel for it. By comparison the '09 felt much more lively and rode much better. I love the ride of our '13 as to me it feels dare I say like a little luxury car which the '10 felt anything but. Guess that's why it's always best to get some seat time before taking the plunge on anything.
I looked the LLbean over good and the body is in great shape no hints of rust and looking underneath it looks like the previous owner had a good quality undercoating applied early in it's life. I look forward to many miles of happy H6 motoring!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Yep, good choice, the H6 is the way to go for reliability and low cost high mileage value.

The H6's have a very common idler and tensioner bearing issue on the serpentine pulleys. Luckily they cost $5 per bearing or $20 per pulley to repair and it only takes about 15 minutes. I would consider this a must-be-done maintenance on any H6, even at only 51,000 miles, then again every 50,000 or something regular like that. They fail regularly and there's a sticky about it in this forum. Time it with your transmission fluid changes or something like that - every 60,000, something easy. At least inspect them and be wary of any noises typical of that issue.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
I bought a '06 Tribeca two months ago. One reason was that this time around, I wanted to try the 6-cyl drivetrain, and that one happened to be the easiest to get my hands on. Remains to be seen whether or not it's the next best thing to a 17 year-old EJ22E.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
Yep, good choice, the H6 is the way to go for reliability and low cost high mileage value.

The H6's have a very common idler and tensioner bearing issue on the serpentine pulleys. Luckily they cost $5 per bearing or $20 per pulley to repair and it only takes about 15 minutes. I would consider this a must-be-done maintenance on any H6, even at only 51,000 miles, then again every 50,000 or something regular like that. They fail regularly and there's a sticky about it in this forum. Time it with your transmission fluid changes or something like that - every 60,000, something easy. At least inspect them and be wary of any noises typical of that issue.

did this problem go into 07 too?

if so, good advice. I learned about it here and found the bearings rough on my '03.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
did this problem go into 07 too?

if so, good advice. I learned about it here and found the bearings rough on my '03.
I thought this was corrected around MY '04 - '05. I replaced the serp. belt on my H6 not too long ago, and all the pulleys seemed perfect. Not sure if/when they've been replaced...all I know is that they haven't been done in the last 20k.

Regardless, can't hurt to check. Last thing you want is to puke a drive belt in the middle of nowhere or something!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts