Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Outback Touring
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to give 20mm spacers a try on my 2018 Outback.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand?

The web sites I've looked at sometimes reference "Baja Outback". What Gen is that? At least one site states that they fit on a Gen 4 but not on a Gen 5 (must be a hub centric dimension change as all seem to be 5x100).

If all goes well after the spacer install I will try wider all-terrain tires, either 235/60R18 or 255/55R18. I'll send an update at that time.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
712 Posts
20mm seems like an awful big spacer rule of thumb is 5mm is usually no problem, 10mm maybe anything over that you have wrong rims.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
546 Posts
What offset are the wheels are you thinking about?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have factory 18"wheels (55mm offset?) and am trying to fit 255/55R18 tires without buying new wheels. I have been told by a couple of local "experts" that I need at least 15mm spacers to avoid rubbing on the suspension parts. Maybe a new wheel with a 40mm offset would be the better solution.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into possible wheels.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
564 Posts
Perrin

I had a set from my STI (5x114.3 hubcentric) and fitted them on the stock 18" wheels when I first bought our Outback. Should be fine with a 20mm spacer, I'd say 15mm is ideal but you generally need to re-stud the hub with longer studs or trim the stock ones to avoid clearance issues against the wheel. 20mm is just enough to fit the OE studs without needing to trim them to fit the wheel on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mott,

Thanks for your feedback. There are lots of different opinions about spacers. I'm with you.

I have seen ads for Perrin spacers and they look great. The only problem is that they don't say that they are the right ones for a Gen 5 Outback. They reference 2015-2018 WRX's. Does a WRX have the same hub dimension as the Outback?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
564 Posts
I have seen ads for Perrin spacers and they look great. The only problem is that they don't say that they are the right ones for a Gen 5 Outback. They reference 2015-2018 WRX's. Does a WRX have the same hub dimension as the Outback?
Yes, in 2015 the WRX switched to a 5x114.3 bolt pattern so they should fit even if they aren't listed as such on Perrin's website. Their 2015+ WRX and 2005+ STI 5x114.3 spacers will fit our Outbacks since they share the same bolt pattern and hub size of 56.1mm. FYI, the base WRX shares a lot of parts with our Outback like front brakes and even the hub assembly. I had 20mm spacers for my STI at the time but just bolted them to the Outback out of curiosity.

Just a side note though, the OE studs will fit close to the divets on the back of the wheel (most spacers do that I've used) and I'm not sure if the 2018 wheels are any different. I recall it being very snug on our 2016 but it was fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt,

Thanks for all your detailed input. Really appreciated.

I've now ordered the Perrin spacers. I also talked to a tech at my Subaru dealer. They have no issues using 20mm spacers. They even install lift kits. Great dealer.

On a related topic: Do you think that 255/55R18 tires will fit without a lift kit and without rubbing? One Outback owner has reported running them but I don't know if it required a lift kit and/or spacers. I guess I can try one on at a local tire shop, and test for rubbing before buying them. If they are too wide, I will go with Yoko Geolander tires size 235/60R18. They should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R, 2004 STi
80 Posts
Matt,

Thanks for all your detailed input. Really appreciated.

I've now ordered the Perrin spacers. I also talked to a tech at my Subaru dealer. They have no issues using 20mm spacers. They even install lift kits. Great dealer.

On a related topic: Do you think that 255/55R18 tires will fit without a lift kit and without rubbing? One Outback owner has reported running them but I don't know if it required a lift kit and/or spacers. I guess I can try one on at a local tire shop, and test for rubbing before buying them. If they are too wide, I will go with Yoko Geolander tires size 235/60R18. They should not be a problem.
Did you end up with the 20mm spacers and STi wheels? I’m in the exact same situation right now. Want to use some forged 08-14 STi wheels but the tire shop mounted a 235/55/18 continental PureContact and said it rubbed. I wish I went back to the shop to double check their word but they said it rubbed - must have been too close to the strut.
So now I’m wondering how the STi wheel with 20mm perrin spacer worked out on your gen 5. I came across the Perrin spacers for wrx yesterday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I installed the 20mm spacers. I'm still using factory tires but there is no rubbing and adequate clearance for wider tires. As soon as my factory tires wear out I'll try wider tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts