Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Today I was involved in an accident and I am sure my 2017 Outback is totaled. Just looking for info before I start looking. Is the CVT worth it? I am open to any suggestions. Any issues with the 2020 model or should I get a 2019?
Thanks!

Registered
Hello Everyone! Today I was involved in an accident and I am sure my 2017 Outback is totaled. Just looking for info before I start looking. Is the CVT worth it? I am open to any suggestions. Any issues with the 2020 model or should I get a 2019?
Thanks!
Glad you're safe and sound. Good reason to stay with Subaru. The 2020 Chassis is even stronger than the 2019 with greater occupant protection - it's the new Subaru Global Platform.

Registered
I have had a 2020 Premium for about a month now. Other than the auto start stop feature (which I absolutely despise) I love it. The CVT is far better than ones I've had in the past and for as much crap as the 2.5 gets I find it to be adequate...I also live in Fl where the biggest hill is a bridge though.

Registered
In April 2019 we were mostly ready for a 2019 but changed direction before pulling the trigger. We would have been happy with the 19 but I am happy with our decision to wait for the 20. The numbers and large screen were part of the decision.

As for the stupid S/S, it is difficult to get to which tells me Subaru is not listening to their customers. But today when setting at a long CA signal light I was recalling how the av MPG dropped on our previous car under the same conditions. This could be seen soon after gas fillups. I also was recalling that I sometimes manually turned off the engine when was caught at a known long light. So for the first time I am thinking I may not longer complain about the S/S. Our OB will be 2 months old tomorrow.

Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
Low mileage '19 models are starting to appear on the market. They are the last Outbacks NOT to have stop/start. They get a high used car ranking from Consumer Reports. With that in mind, buy a 1958 Corvette (just kidding).

Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
Thanks!
Im sorry about your accident, and all the headache they can be, but considering it is one of the most likely ways statistically we can be seriously disabled or killed, consider just how good it is that your car protected you and you are ok (Im assuming and hoping you are ok).

All the griping about google maps on here being too small and all the griping about start stop (Im one of the top gripers about that one), this is a fun car to drive and a REALLY comfortable car to drive. I keep joking to my wife that if she throws me out I could pretty comfortably live in there for a bit. Its actually the first Outback Ive had (of 3) that she really seems to feel is fun to drive and a very nice ride. (I never had a Gen 5- I had gen 2 and 4. The screen stuff - I dont get half the gripes, you get used to it. They could surely fix a few of the screen features to be better, (seat heater access, fan buttons, more radio presets, carplay full screen) and those things MAY soon get fixed with updates. But the car is a really nice move forward for the OB.

But I had a 2019 loaner in December and had a 2017 loaner in that year, and personally the GEn 5 is my least fav gen. The 2019 in December felt REALLY dated after having driven my 2020 for a month-ish. Sure its a great car and there are some little pluses in the 2019 - there is more internal "Cubby" spaces around the cabin (one of my gripes about the 2020, but otherwise the 2019 didnt feel nearly as comfortable as the 2020. I just think with the Gen 6 they really made a point to make the cabin more refined and comfortable.

To me, the only reason to buy a 2019 is if you really want an outback for significantly less money. If thats the case - go for it - its still a great car. otherwise, get the 2020.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much everyone! I am really not a bad driver. My Subie saved me from being hit at 45 MPH by a drunk driver in 2018 and now being rear ended while I was stopped waiting to turn and I was propelled into traffic- roads were icy and the other driver couldn't slow down or stop. All three vehicles totaled. I am not injured at all! Would be awesome if Subaru would give a discount. I am just incredibly lucky. Wishing everyone accident free driving!

Registered
Thank you so much everyone! I am really not a bad driver. My Subie saved me from being hit at 45 MPH by a drunk driver in 2018 and now being rear ended while I was stopped waiting to turn and I was propelled into traffic- roads were icy and the other driver couldn't slow down or stop. All three vehicles totaled. I am not injured at all! Would be awesome if Subaru would give a discount. I am just incredibly lucky. Wishing everyone accident free driving!
One of the reasons I got a Subaru with eyesight is that I almost ran over an infant in a baby carriage. It wouldn't have been my fault - the mother entered the sidewalk against the red - but it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Don't know if Eyesight would have stopped it - I stopped myself probably less than an inch from the carriage (the carriage is down low and hard to see). After that, it convinced me to get Subaru Eyesight ASAP. One never knows when a life-changing event is about to happen.

Subaru does give loyalty discounts - though it's not that much. Costco has many Subaru dealers in their discount buying program as well.

Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
One of the reasons I got a Subaru with eyesight is that I almost ran over an infant in a baby carriage. It wouldn't have been my fault - the mother entered the sidewalk against the red - but it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Don't know if Eyesight would have stopped it - I stopped myself probably less than an inch from the carriage (the carriage is down low and hard to see). After that, it convinced me to get Subaru Eyesight ASAP. One never knows when a life-changing event is about to happen.

Subaru does give loyalty discounts - though it's not that much. Costco has many Subaru dealers in their discount buying program as well.
My 2020 almost certainly saved me from rear ending someone the other day.

I was driving home from work and was trying to merge on to a busy freeway from a two lane on ramp. I was in the left most lane on the ramp. While I was looking left to look for a gap in traffic to merge into, a car in the right lane cut me off and suddenly merged into my lane without using their turn signals. Before I even realized what happened, forward collision warning lights flashed and the car applied brakes. All of this happened in 2 seconds, way faster than I could have turned my head from left to right, realize what was going on and apply brakes.

Registered

I was driving home from work and was trying to merge on to a busy freeway from a two lane on ramp. I was in the left most lane on the ramp. While I was looking left to look for a gap in traffic to merge into, a car in the right lane cut me off and suddenly merged into my lane without using their turn signals. Before I even realized what happened, forward collision warning lights flashed and the car applied brakes. All of this happened in 2 seconds, way faster than I could have turned my head from left to right, realize what was going on and apply brakes.
My situation was similar. The crosswalk turned red, nobody was in the crosswalk. I crept over the crosswalk and looked to the left for a gap. I was over the crosswalk when a woman started to push the baby carriage (against the red) onto the road in front of me. I turned to the right as I was starting to move and stopped the car. A split second later and there'd be a dead baby. The insanity is that she wasn't even in the crosswalk. I was over the crosswalk and she chose to go onto the road around the crosswalk with her infant. I was clearly not looking at them. I was looking the other way. It still blows my mind that a mother would do this.

Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)

AEB(automatic emergency braking) systems may not be perfect but preventing just one accident will make you appreciate having it. :) I had the same experience with my Honda when it reacted more quickly than me in a few instances.

Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
Thanks!
The best way to answer that is to test drive as many as you can. 2019's 2019's w 3.6, 2020's, 2020XT's .... I started my quest going to see a minty 2018 Limited. If I had looked/drove no further I would have likely been content with that car. However, once I compared it to the 2020's, there was no going back. After 4-5 test drives, I ended up with a 2020 Limited XT. IMHO, the 2020 was much more refined in how it felt and drove. Your opinion /wants may vary though. ( Note this particular forum may be a little biased too :rolleyes:)

Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT - Crystal White Pearl
Call Subaru customer service. They may (most likely will) give you a $500 coupon towards a new Subaru purchase.
I agree with this completely. Loyalty coupons are the way to go. Except my first lease in 2014; I have gotten a loyalty coupon every single year including for my 2020 Onyx I leased in December.

The value ranges dramatically on factors I do not understand. I have gotten amounts between $500, $750, $1,000, and even $1,500 (I have learned that whatever they give you, it won鈥檛 increase after they give you a value because I鈥檝e tried 馃槵 but I mean I spend a lot of money on Subies so it leaves me feeling a little bit of that millennial entitlement 馃槈).

Also, they say it鈥檚 a one time deal, but I get one every year. I鈥檝e also gotten RayBans, a backpack, a wallet, several gift cards, and service/part vouchers. SoA is amazing and they have made me a Subaru driver for life.

This is my first Subie I plan to keep for any length of time which for me is shocking and says a lot. I love my 2020 more than any car I鈥檝e ever driven.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts